1.8" Portable Drives?

Old May 18th 08, 09:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Justin[_8_]

Default 1.8" Portable Drives?

I checked Newegg and CDW neither one sells normal 1.8" drives.
Who does?
Old May 18th 08, 09:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

http://www.google.com/products?q=1.8...ucts& show=dd

Old May 18th 08, 10:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Justin wrote:
I checked Newegg and CDW neither one sells normal 1.8" drives.
Who does?

Since 1.8" drives do not have ordinary (S)ATA interfaces or
at least connectors (with very few exceptions), they are not
sold on the general market.

Arno

Old May 19th 08, 12:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
2345

Arno Wagner wrote
Justin wrote

I checked Newegg and CDW neither one sells normal 1.8" drives.
Who does?

Since 1.8" drives do not have ordinary (S)ATA interfaces or at least connectors
(with very few exceptions), they are not sold on the general market.

Have fun explaining
http://www.google.com/products?q=1.8...ucts& show=dd

Old May 19th 08, 03:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Justin[_8_]

Rod Speed wrote:
Justin wrote:

I checked Newegg and CDW neither one sells normal 1.8" drives.
Who does?

http://www.google.com/products?q=1.8...ucts& show=dd

Strange that Newegg or CDW don't sell them.
Either way, I saw a TravelStar drive, but it looked like the standard
2.5" IDE connector was on the side.
Like this...
http://tinyurl.com/4w4kyb

What is that all about?

I'm an IT tech, so I know all about the adapters and such for the 2.5"
but I haven't encountered the 1.8" yet...
Old May 19th 08, 07:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Justin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Justin wrote

I checked Newegg and CDW neither one sells normal 1.8" drives.
Who does?

http://www.google.com/products?q=1.8...ucts& show=dd

Strange that Newegg or CDW don't sell them.

They dont get used much in PCs, more in other consumer equipment.

Either way, I saw a TravelStar drive, but it looked like
the standard 2.5" IDE connector was on the side.
Like this...
http://tinyurl.com/4w4kyb

What is that all about?

Its basically just a standard drive except for not being as long as usual.

I'm an IT tech, so I know all about the adapters and
such for the 2.5" but I haven't encountered the 1.8" yet...

You need to get out more
http://www.costcentral.com/proddetai...76669/froogle/

Old May 20th 08, 12:46 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Squeeze

Justin wrote in
Rod Speed wrote:
Justin wrote:

I checked Newegg and CDW neither one sells normal 1.8" drives.
Who does?

http://www.google.com/products?q=1.8...ucts& show=dd

Strange that Newegg or CDW don't sell them.
Either way, I saw a TravelStar drive, but it looked like the standard
2.5" IDE connector was on the side.
Like this... http://tinyurl.com/4w4kyb

What is that all about?

What is what all about?

I'm an IT tech, so I know all about the adapters and such for the 2.5"
but I haven't encountered the 1.8" yet...

So you are an IT tech.
Old May 20th 08, 07:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Justin[_8_]

Rod Speed wrote:
Justin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Justin wrote

I checked Newegg and CDW neither one sells normal 1.8" drives.
Who does?

http://www.google.com/products?q=1.8...ucts& show=dd

Strange that Newegg or CDW don't sell them.

They dont get used much in PCs, more in other consumer equipment.

Either way, I saw a TravelStar drive, but it looked like
the standard 2.5" IDE connector was on the side.
Like this...
http://tinyurl.com/4w4kyb

What is that all about?

Why is the connector on the long edge and not the short edge?

Well... ****.
Old May 20th 08, 08:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Justin wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Justin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Justin wrote

I checked Newegg and CDW neither one sells normal 1.8" drives.
Who does?

http://www.google.com/products?q=1.8...ucts& show=dd

Strange that Newegg or CDW don't sell them.

They dont get used much in PCs, more in other consumer equipment.

Either way, I saw a TravelStar drive, but it looked like
the standard 2.5" IDE connector was on the side.
Like this...
http://tinyurl.com/4w4kyb

What is that all about?

Why is the connector on the long edge and not the short edge?

Its one way of using the existing connector and using less total space.

Old May 20th 08, 09:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Justin[_8_]

Rod Speed wrote:

Why is the connector on the long edge and not the short edge?

Its one way of using the existing connector and using less total space.

Ah ha.
Those tricky *******s.
So apparently the "type-T" drives are the only ones that will work in my
price of **** Vaio?