inspiron 7500 and upgrading memory

Old November 28th 06, 02:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mjonesmb1

Default inspiron 7500 and upgrading memory

I bought 2 sticks of 256mb of pc100 to replace the 2 sticks of 128mb
of pc100 that are currently in the laptop. I cannot get the computer
to recognize the new memory. The computer trys to turn on and then
turns of and keeps up this cycle until I unplug and take out the
battery. I have upgraded the BIOS and still nothing. I take the old
memory and put it back in and it works just fine... Any help out
there for me???

Old November 28th 06, 04:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Older notebooks, just like older desktops, are somewhat sensitive to the exact
specs of the memory installed. For example, if the Inspiron 7500 does not
support SODIMMs with high-density memory chips, this could explain the symptoms
you are seeing.

According to the Inspiron 7500 specs on the Dell web site:

Memory Architecture SDRAM
Memory module capacities 32-, 64-, 128-, 192-, and 256 MB SODIMM
Maximum RAM 512 MB
Memory access time/clock frequency 66 MHz or 100 MHz

The Inspiron 7500 chipset is an Intel 440BX, noted for being picky about memory.
If your system has a Celeron processor, it can run with either 66MHz or 100Mhz
memory. If it has either a Pentium II or Pentium 3, memory MUST be PC100...
Ben Myers

Old November 28th 06, 06:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
[...]

Isn't there also the high density versus low density issue as well?

Old November 28th 06, 07:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Yes. So I said: "For example, if the Inspiron 7500 does not support SODIMMs
with high-density memory chips, this could explain the symptoms you are seeing."

And, with the 440BX chipset, the Inspiron 7500 almost certainly does not work
with high-density chips on SODIMMs... Ben

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:53:50 -0600, "S.Lewis" wrote:

.. .

Old November 29th 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Yes. So I said: "For example, if the Inspiron 7500 does not support
SODIMMs
with high-density memory chips, this could explain the symptoms you are
seeing."

And, with the 440BX chipset, the Inspiron 7500 almost certainly does not
work
with high-density chips on SODIMMs... Ben

Woops. Mea culpa. Coffee. Need. Lots.

Stew

Old November 29th 06, 03:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

There certainly are issues with the BX based chipset and higher density
parts, but on desktops at least, the most common symptom was that you
would install a 256MB memory module and the system would only recognize
half of it, it would be seen as a 128MB module. We learned that if we
wanted to use 256MB modules with a BX chipset (in a desktop), we had to
look for double-sided low density modules with 16 chips (8 on each
side), rather than the modules with only 8 chips on one side only.

He bought these modules on E-Bay. I think that there are two likely
situations here, either the modules are incompatible, or perhaps they
are just plain defective.

Old December 18th 06, 05:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
J David Ellis

In case the thread is still alive...
Memory for my 7500 came from crucial.com four years ago and
it has never caused a problem. I have repaired the 7500's
hinges a couple of times, though.
--David

Mjonesmb1 wrote:
I bought 2 sticks of 256mb of pc100 to replace the 2 sticks of 128mb
of pc100 that are currently in the laptop. I cannot get the computer
to recognize the new memory. The computer trys to turn on and then
turns of and keeps up this cycle until I unplug and take out the
battery. I have upgraded the BIOS and still nothing. I take the old
memory and put it back in and it works just fine... Any help out
there for me???

upgrading 2 year old system for HL2 David J Burns Ati Videocards 10 November 10th 04 03:05 AM
Power supply? Pat Nvidia Videocards 17 August 21st 04 08:07 AM
Upgrading to a 9800Pro from a 7500 Ferny Ati Videocards 3 July 23rd 04 08:32 PM
ATI Radeon 7500 AIW TV Tuner Problem - No channels found on Satellite Conn. - Please help! Philter Ati Videocards 0 June 13th 04 08:57 AM
AIW Radeon 7500 bright washed out video from tuner J.R. Allas Ati Videocards 2 February 27th 04 05:48 AM