Is My battery on the way out

Old October 28th 06, 09:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Default Is My battery on the way out

I have an Inspiron 2200. I got it about 14 months ago.

It now appears that my battery goes from fully charged to 5% charged in
about 1.75 hours. It seems it used to take about 2.25-2.75 hours (never
timed it exactly).

I have used the battery a LOT. Pretty much every day.

I ASSUME this indicates I am starting to see the downside of it's lifespan.

Is there any other way to tell?? I remember once reading about indicator
lights on the battery, but I don't see any. Am I not looking in the right
place?

Anyway, if I do need a new battery, any suggestions? Is there a less
expensive way/source than going through the Dell site?? Would EBAY be a good
way to go (or would even new batteries bought through EBAY be a bit old and
have less life).

BTW, I've been VERY pleased with my laptop

Mel

Old October 28th 06, 09:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

MZB wrote:

I have an Inspiron 2200. I got it about 14 months ago.

It now appears that my battery goes from fully charged to 5% charged in
about 1.75 hours. It seems it used to take about 2.25-2.75 hours (never
timed it exactly).

I have used the battery a LOT. Pretty much every day.

I ASSUME this indicates I am starting to see the downside of it's lifespan.

Is there any other way to tell?? I remember once reading about indicator
lights on the battery, but I don't see any. Am I not looking in the right
place?

Anyway, if I do need a new battery, any suggestions? Is there a less
expensive way/source than going through the Dell site?? Would EBAY be a good
way to go (or would even new batteries bought through EBAY be a bit old and
have less life).

BTW, I've been VERY pleased with my laptop

It sure sounds like you're due for a new battery!

And these days, with all the publicized battery problems, you'd be a bit
crazy not to invest in a Dell-branded replacement.

Notan
Old October 28th 06, 09:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Nolan:

I probably would use a Dell branded replacement. Wonder if I can get one
cheaper than thru the Dell site

Mel

Old October 28th 06, 09:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Dell site wants $129.

EBAY wants $55 for the exact same product (not a compatible)

Mel

Old October 28th 06, 10:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

MZB wrote:

Dell site wants $129.

EBAY wants $55 for the exact same product (not a compatible)

snip

You mean "a seller on eBay" wants $55.

As far as I'm concerned, eBay is a crapshoot. Sellers range anywhere
from completely honest to totally dishonest. The same goes for the
products they sell... Exactly as advertised to not-even-close-to
advertised.

With batteries, the problem goes one step further... Batteries have
a finite life. With an eBay battery, you're taking a chance on how
much of that life has been used up.

Just my $0.02.

Notan
Old October 28th 06, 10:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

be careful with the ebay batteries.
i saw the same thing as you, and bought 2 ebay batteries for $50 each,
and they were garbage. one died within 3 mos, and the other is not
holding a charge now for more than a half hour.
i bought them both back in jan or feb this year.

the most important thing is when the cells were born. there are some
better sites that gurarantee freshness. for batteries that were phased
out, like for the lattitude c640 like i have, i dont think those
batteries are really made new and fresh anymore, so people who have them
to sell have them sitting around on shelves possibly for a year or so.
which shortens the life. it goes by the age of the cells, not the usage.
make sure you get a good guarantee with it. at least a year.

Old October 28th 06, 10:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Notan" wrote in message
MZB wrote:

Dell site wants $129.

EBAY wants $55 for the exact same product (not a compatible)

snip

You mean "a seller on eBay" wants $55.

As far as I'm concerned, eBay is a crapshoot. Sellers range anywhere
from completely honest to totally dishonest. The same goes for the
products they sell... Exactly as advertised to not-even-close-to
advertised.

With batteries, the problem goes one step further... Batteries have
a finite life. With an eBay battery, you're taking a chance on how
much of that life has been used up.

Just my $0.02.

Notan

How do you know the seller isn't someone like you with a battery on its way
out.

Selling the dying battery.

Tom

Old October 28th 06, 10:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Doug

"MZB" wrote in message
| Nolan:
|
| I probably would use a Dell branded replacement. Wonder if I can get one
| cheaper than thru the Dell site
|
| Mel

I bought a replacement for my I8500 from these guys.
http://www.pacificbattery.com/dell1000.html

100% satisfied with the entire transaction.

--
Doug

Old October 28th 06, 11:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Notan" wrote in message
Tom Scales wrote:

"Notan" wrote in message
MZB wrote:

[...]

I didn't mean that the OP would do it. My point was that you don't know the
ebay batteries are any good. They could be old and used up.