Questions about setting up a wireless network at home.

Old October 2nd 06, 10:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Leigh

Default Questions about setting up a wireless network at home.

Greetings,

Currently, I have two desktop computers running Windows XP SP2 connected to
a SMC 10/100 Mbps
Broadband Router model SMC7004ABR which is connected to Time Warner's
Motorola SURFboard SB 4100 Cable Modem which, of course, is connected to
Time Warner's cable running in my home. IP address obtained automatically.
The computers are sharing the Internet connection and a printer.

I now have a Dell Ispiron 6000 which has wireless capability.

The SMC router does not have a wireless capability.

I want to buy a Linksys wireless router WRT54GS to replace the SMC router.
What is needed to be uninstalled with the SMC router before I change it with
the Linksys WRT54GS?

Thanks in advance for your help and considerations,

Leigh

Old October 2nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Leigh wrote:
I want to buy a Linksys wireless router WRT54GS to replace the SMC
router. What is needed to be uninstalled with the SMC router before I
change it with the Linksys WRT54GS?

Nothing - plug and go. Obviously you'll need to configure the WRT54GS with
your login username and (possibly) clone the MAC address - check the one on
the SMC router before you decommision it.

HTH,

Pete.

Old October 2nd 06, 11:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"P" wrote in message
Leigh wrote:
I want to buy a Linksys wireless router WRT54GS to replace the SMC
router. What is needed to be uninstalled with the SMC router before I
change it with the Linksys WRT54GS?

Nothing - plug and go. Obviously you'll need to configure the WRT54GS with
your login username and (possibly) clone the MAC address - check the one
on the SMC router before you decommision it.

HTH,

Pete.

Shouldn't have to do either. There isn't a login name for most cable
systems, and not for TW. Shouldn't require mac cloning either.

When you take out the old router and put in the new one, unplug the cable
modem for 5 minutes, turn it back on and THEN turn on the Linksys. Do this
while all the computers are powered off. Once the Linksys is up, power up
the computers.

Tom

Old October 3rd 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

"P" wrote in message
Leigh wrote:
I want to buy a Linksys wireless router WRT54GS to replace the SMC
router. What is needed to be uninstalled with the SMC router before I
change it with the Linksys WRT54GS?

Nothing - plug and go. Obviously you'll need to configure the WRT54GS
with your login username and (possibly) clone the MAC address - check the
one on the SMC router before you decommision it.

HTH,

Pete.

Shouldn't have to do either. There isn't a login name for most cable
systems, and not for TW. Shouldn't require mac cloning either.

When you take out the old router and put in the new one, unplug the cable
modem for 5 minutes, turn it back on and THEN turn on the Linksys. Do
this while all the computers are powered off. Once the Linksys is up,
power up the computers.

Tom

Yep. Should have a walk-through wizard on CD if the OP needs a cheat sheet
as well.

Old October 3rd 06, 03:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Next thing you know, Irene will emerge from her cave and accuse us of being
Linksys-bots. I'm a great fan of Linksys gear for home networks and even
medium businesses up to 20 or 25 seats. Installed many, never had to replace.
The only glitch is that the Linksys walk-thru wizard on the CD gets a little
messed up when the broadband carrier is Verizon DSL. Maybe that has been fixed
in a later version... Ben Myers

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 18:03:47 -0500, "S.Lewis" wrote:

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
.. .

Old October 3rd 06, 10:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Hank Arnold

Tom Scales wrote:
"P" wrote in message
Leigh wrote:
I want to buy a Linksys wireless router WRT54GS to replace the SMC
router. What is needed to be uninstalled with the SMC router before I
change it with the Linksys WRT54GS?

Nothing - plug and go. Obviously you'll need to configure the WRT54GS with
your login username and (possibly) clone the MAC address - check the one
on the SMC router before you decommision it.

HTH,

Pete.

Shouldn't have to do either. There isn't a login name for most cable
systems, and not for TW. Shouldn't require mac cloning either.

When you take out the old router and put in the new one, unplug the cable
modem for 5 minutes, turn it back on and THEN turn on the Linksys. Do this
while all the computers are powered off. Once the Linksys is up, power up
the computers.

Tom

You should also log into the router to check the setup parameters.
Sometime the defaults are not acceptable. At the very least you should
change the admin password. Also need to set up the wireless security
settings. The defaults for this are usually *VERY BAD*.........

Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old October 3rd 06, 12:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Hank Arnold" wrote in message
Tom Scales wrote:
"P" wrote in message
Leigh wrote:
[...]

On that subject, I've noticed that DLink tries very hard now to point the
user to set up using their provided CD. The wizard "forces" the user to set
up WEP at a minimum.

Still not great shakes, but better than nothing. That assumes, of course,
that the end user will actually run the CD. They even place a
brightly-colored adhesive label over the I/O of the route that says "RUN CD
FIRST" to try to point users in that direction.

Stew

Old October 3rd 06, 03:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Clint

As someone else pointed out, do make sure you either configure the security
options or understand that other people outside your house may have access
to your network and Internet connection. By default, the wireless routers
I've set up in the past (D-Link, Linksys, SMC) have all been wide open for
anyone to connect to when you initially set them up.

Clint

Old October 3rd 06, 05:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom2000

I want to buy a Linksys wireless router WRT54GS to replace the SMC
router. What is needed to be uninstalled with the SMC router before I
change it with the Linksys WRT54GS?

A couple of months ago, I replaced a failed WRT54GS with a cheap
Netgear WGR614. It's been perking along just fine since.

I noticed that when I installed the Netgear box, my range and
signal strength went way up. Surprising, since the Linksys router
uses a pair of antennas which are longer than the Netgear's single
little antenna.

The setup routine on the Netgear CD didn't work for my particular
Earthlink DSL installation. I had to set the router up manually,
which was actually a pretty simple process.

The Netgear's features and capabilities, as far as I can tell, are
about the same as the rest of the wireless home routers.

(FWIW, I'm running two laptops, usually wirelessly, and a Buffalo
LinkStation 250 GB NAS drive. I'm happy as a clam in sand with the
whole setup.)

Good luck, and have fun!

Tom

Old October 3rd 06, 10:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
rob

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 21:15:41 GMT, "Leigh" wrote:

Greetings,

Currently, I have two desktop computers running Windows XP SP2 connected to
a SMC 10/100 Mbps
Broadband Router model SMC7004ABR which is connected to Time Warner's
Motorola SURFboard SB 4100 Cable Modem which, of course, is connected to
Time Warner's cable running in my home. IP address obtained automatically.
The computers are sharing the Internet connection and a printer.

I now have a Dell Ispiron 6000 which has wireless capability.

The SMC router does not have a wireless capability.

I want to buy a Linksys wireless router WRT54GS to replace the SMC router.
What is needed to be uninstalled with the SMC router before I change it with
the Linksys WRT54GS?

Thanks in advance for your help and considerations,

Leigh

In addition to other comments, you may want to disable any software
firewall as to simplify your installation. Of course after you are
satisfied with your installation, enable your firewall again. I
wouldn't worry about your firewall being down for 10 minutes or so as
the odds of anything happening in that short time would be slim.