RAM

Old August 12th 06, 05:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
IBNFSHN

Default RAM

My wife's computer (Dimension 4500) only has 256 meg of ram. Running Win XP,
SP2. Would it make much difference if I increased it to 512 Meg? I assume it
would make programs load faster but what about internet sites?

Old August 12th 06, 05:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

generally yes, but you can check your ram requirements by opening task
manager,
then look at the total commit charge. and that will tell you how much
memory is currently being used. if that number is near the total
physical memory, then it will help to add memory.

Old August 12th 06, 06:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pat Conover

I would add another 512MB, Windows XP uses about 256MB just to startup on
most of my machines. My first Dell XP machine only had 256MB and ran like a
dog, slower than my old Dell XPS 450T. I added 512MB and thought I had a
new computer!

HTH, Pat

Old August 12th 06, 10:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dan

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 12:30:32 -0400, "IBNFSHN" wrote:

My wife's computer (Dimension 4500) only has 256 meg of ram. Running Win XP,
SP2. Would it make much difference if I increased it to 512 Meg? I assume it
would make programs load faster but what about internet sites?

It will help a lot. I recommend 512 minimum for good performance on
XP. After you load an Internet security suite and a dozen other
programs, it sucks down the performance in a hurry.

Granted, XP (by itself) will run just fine on 256mb....the problem is
people like to load OTHER programs onto the computer

Isn't the 4500 a PC100 P-III computer? Or will it support a PC133 FSB
and CPUs?

Dan

Old August 13th 06, 01:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

I've felt for a long time that 256MB is pathetically inadequate to run the
Windows XP bloatware. It's usually fine for Windows 2000.

Do a disk cleanup and a defrag to get a little better performance, too.

.... Ben Myers

Old August 13th 06, 01:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Basill

"IBNFSHN" wrote in message
My wife's computer (Dimension 4500) only has 256 meg of ram. Running Win
XP, SP2. Would it make much difference if I increased it to 512 Meg? I
assume it would make programs load faster but what about internet sites?

Definitely, lots of computers come with 256Mb to keep the cost down, just
filling the second slot and going to 512Mb will make a very noticeable
difference. A good value upgrade.

Old August 13th 06, 02:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mariner

Might get a little more speed if you do the following :
start-control panel-system-advanced- and find the tab -performance
settings - uncheck "let windows etc" and check the box "ajust for best
performance" you might get a tad more out of your comp.

Old August 13th 06, 06:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Misspelled! You mean prawn sites! In Europe, they look at prawn sites. Here
in the US, we look at shrimp sites, because the shrimp is closely related to the
prawn. Of course, there are the lobster sites, too... Ben Myers