Replace optical drive

Old September 2nd 08, 10:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Jim[_27_]

Default Replace optical drive

Could someone kindly point me to a website that has detailed instructions
on how to remove the optical drive from an Acer Aspire 3002LCi?

Thanks
Old September 3rd 08, 02:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Han

Jim wrote in
:

Could someone kindly point me to a website that has detailed
instructions on how to remove the optical drive from an Acer Aspire
3002LCi?

Thanks

It was very simple on my aspire 3680-2633. Remove the middle panel on the
back that gives access to (among others) the RAM modules. On the left side
is a single screw that has to be removed. Then from within the opening
push out the optical drive (to the left). That was it. For a manual of
close to mine, I downloaded this file from somewhere on the European Acer
site, I believe:

S.G_AS3680_5570_5580_BOOK.pdf

The file is 4.5 MB, but I could email or post the file.

I used the instructions in it to replace the ZIF-socketed CPU in my Acer
with a T7300 dual Core which runs at 2 GHz. Was a big improvement ...

--
Best regards
Han
Old September 3rd 08, 09:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Jim[_27_]

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 01:14:52 +0000, Han wrote:

Jim wrote in
:

Could someone kindly point me to a website that has detailed
instructions on how to remove the optical drive from an Acer Aspire
3002LCi?

Thanks

It was very simple on my aspire 3680-2633. Remove the middle panel on
the back that gives access to (among others) the RAM modules. On the
left side is a single screw that has to be removed. Then from within
the opening push out the optical drive (to the left). That was it. For
a manual of close to mine, I downloaded this file from somewhere on the
European Acer site, I believe:

S.G_AS3680_5570_5580_BOOK.pdf

The file is 4.5 MB, but I could email or post the file.

I used the instructions in it to replace the ZIF-socketed CPU in my Acer
with a T7300 dual Core which runs at 2 GHz. Was a big improvement ...

Nothing like that with mine. I do see something that intrigues me. In
the general area is an oblong shape about one inch in length. Wondering
if this might be a molded in cover for the screw? Nothing else like it
appears on the back cover.
Old September 4th 08, 12:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
doS[_8_]

you have to remove the keyboard.open the lid (lcd)all the way.remove the two
screws near the hinges on back.carefully(use a credit card)remove the panel
that holds the on/off buttons etc.there are two screws that hold the kb in
place.gently lift the keyboard.you'll see the drive screw over to the right.

Old September 4th 08, 01:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Han

Jim wrote in
:

[...]

Sorry, no suggestions here ...

--
Best regards
Han
Old September 9th 08, 12:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Jim[_27_]

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:46:40 -0400, doS wrote:

you have to remove the keyboard.open the lid (lcd)all the way.remove the
two screws near the hinges on back.carefully(use a credit card)remove
the panel that holds the on/off buttons etc.there are two screws that
hold the kb in place.gently lift the keyboard.you'll see the drive screw
over to the right.

That was the perfect solution, thanks. Can't see why Acer feels such
information should not be available to the end user.

In addition to the Lite-On DVD burner (DS-8A1P-021) I also added a new
hard drive. A Wester Digital 80gb (WD800BEVE) Combination of the two
makes it feel like a newer faster machine.