Wind tunnel effect through house to cool electronics.

Old July 7th 08, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Liebermann[_2_]

Default Wind tunnel effect through house to cool electronics.

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 20:06:32 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I used to have a timer program for the computer to tell me when
something would be done. It went off 30 seconds early, to give me time
to get up and walk to the kitchen. I used it when i was making pizza.

Technology is often a good solution to personal problems, but not for
me. Approximately 6 years ago, my cardiologist, G.P., drug dealer,
and a few friends all agreed that I needed to learn how to relax.
That's fairly difficult for a lifetime "Type A" personality that runs
on adrenaline and conflicts.

One of the ways in which I avoid stress is to not get overly excited
about being early or late. I do not wear a wrist watch. My XP
desktop does not have the clock showing. My cell phone does not
prominently display the time. There is no clock in my vehicle. The
VCR and microwave are stuck at 12:00. I removed the cycling computah
from my bicycle. The beneficial result is that I'm no longer stressed
with being on time. The detrimental result is that I tend to lose
track of time. I'm not sure if this was such a great idea, but it
seems to work for me. Your mileage may vary.

I will confess to having a weather station that displays the date and
time. There's also a clock that displays in GMT. Those are the only
clocks in the house (that functions). While I maintain a rather loose
personal schedule, I don't expect others to do the same. Therefore, I
make it a point of being early to appointments and not worry about
time very much.

Time is natures way of keeping everything from happening at once.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 7th 08, 04:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Michael A. Terrell

wrote:

I used to have a timer program for the computer to tell me when
something would be done. It went off 30 seconds early, to give me time
to get up and walk to the kitchen. I used it when i was making pizza.

Technology is often a good solution to personal problems, but not for
me. Approximately 6 years ago, my cardiologist, G.P., drug dealer,
and a few friends all agreed that I needed to learn how to relax.
That's fairly difficult for a lifetime "Type A" personality that runs
on adrenaline and conflicts.

Jeff, I stopped wearing a watch the day that I was told that I was
100% disabled, and would never be able to work again. That timer program
was useful, because my business was in my home. and the kitchen stove
was about 10 steps from my bench or desk. I used it so I could keep
working, and not burn anything. For me, it reduced the adrenaline. If I
was on the phone the noise was enough to convince people I had to step
away for a few seconds, or if some ID10T was trying to talk me into
doing an illegal mod on a radio, CTRL-G made the same loud noise so I
could tell them that I had an emergency, and hang up on them. ;-)

One of the ways in which I avoid stress is to not get overly excited
about being early or late. I do not wear a wrist watch. My XP
desktop does not have the clock showing. My cell phone does not
prominently display the time. There is no clock in my vehicle. The
VCR and microwave are stuck at 12:00. I removed the cycling computah
from my bicycle. The beneficial result is that I'm no longer stressed
with being on time. The detrimental result is that I tend to lose
track of time. I'm not sure if this was such a great idea, but it
seems to work for me. Your mileage may vary.

I only use the alarm clock to wake mew when I have an early doctor's
appointment. I don't really care about missing something on TV, but I do
display the clock on the task bar, so I can keep an eye on my dad &
stepmother who live next door. I know their habits, and want to be able
to help them when they need it, without intruding in their lives.

I will confess to having a weather station that displays the date and
time. There's also a clock that displays in GMT. Those are the only
clocks in the house (that functions). While I maintain a rather loose
personal schedule, I don't expect others to do the same. Therefore, I
make it a point of being early to appointments and not worry about
time very much.

Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.

Death is God's way of telling you the game is over.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Old July 7th 08, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
~AlicGinnis~

I installed a whole house fan in a hallway ceiling in my 1200 sq ft rancher.
in the cool that follows a thunderstom, with the windows open, it cools the
entire house in about 5 minutes.

"shortT" wrote in message
On Jul 6, 10:10 am, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
Hello,

This is what I do to cool down and vent my appertment:

Step 1. I open the front door.

Step 2. I open the back window.

Result: Wind tunnel effect.

Wind goes through the house, immediatly cooling it down and getting rid of
filthy nasty smelly air (As long as not too much cars/bussess/trucks
outside... otherwise stinky gasses)

Maybe this effect could be used in new houses/appertments/buildings.

Make little tunnels in the houses which act like wind tunnels.

Hot air from processors go into the tunnel and then hopefully a wind
tunnel
effect will occur.

Hot air likes to go to cool air outside... which probably results in the
wind tunnel effect ?

Or otherwise use the wind outside to blow through it... channel the air
into
the tubes :P*

It works for me on a big scale

Bye,
Skybuck.

There is a fan you can buy for a house that goes up in the attic.
I believe it is called a "total house fan". If you leave the attic
door open
and allow the fan to draw warm air out of the house.. it cools it
substantially
however if there is a fire your house burns down much quicker.

shortT

Old July 7th 08, 08:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Charlie

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 16:10:25 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

This is what I do to cool down and vent my appertment:
Step 1. I open the front door.
Step 2. I open the back window.
Result: Wind tunnel effect.

Air is a rather lousy thermal conductor:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html
You could do better to cool your house with water, which has 20 times
the thermal conductivity. The procedure is similar to using air
cooling.
1. Close all the doors and windows.
2. Seal all the outlets, drains, and cracks.
3. Turn on all the faucets and allow the house to fill with water.

I believe this will be counter-productive. Instead of turning on all the
faucets, turn on only the cold water ones.

4. When full and adequately cooled, drain the water outside.
5. Repeat as necessary to cool the house and electronics.

Liquid whole-house immersion cooling may be a bit excessive for your
application. Therefore, a hybrid approach, such as spraying your
electronics with a water hose, where the mechanism is evaporative
cooling, might be more appropriate. It also uses less water.

Another hybrid approach would be plumbing. The liquid would be
transported through various size pipes and hoses, accumulate the heat,
and empty it outside via a suitable radiator. Such water cooling is
commonly used in high end over-clocked PC game machines.

It is also possible to operate some electronics under water. This
requires low impedance design, which is not particularly efficient,
but useful for such applications like marine radios. You could
analyze the schematic to see if immersion cooling is possible, or you
could simply run a test by dumping your electronics in a water bucket.
If successful, simply emptying the bucket outside is equivalent to
dumping the heat.

Why not use distilled water. It does not conduct electricity and your
computer should work just fine while submerged. Just ask your local water
company to switch to distilled water :-)

Charlie

Old July 7th 08, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Martin Griffith

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:59:25 -0500, in sci.electronics.design "Charlie"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Not quite, as soon as the ever so pure water hits the PCB, it will
start absorbing stuff, like metals, not much, but enough and will soon
become somewhat conductive.

Water is a really good solvent, why do you think we need skin?

martin
Old July 7th 08, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 16:10:25 +0200, Skybuck Flying wrote:

This is what I do to cool down and vent my appertment:

Step 1. I open the front door.

Step 2. I open the back window.

Result: Wind tunnel effect.

Wind goes through the house, immediatly cooling it down and getting rid of
filthy nasty smelly air (As long as not too much cars/bussess/trucks
outside... otherwise stinky gasses)

Maybe this effect could be used in new houses/appertments/buildings.

It's called Cross-Ventilation, and people have been doing it since the
back door was invented.

Cheers!
Rich

Old July 7th 08, 10:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Interesting... using warm air from the attic to heat your house.
Thanks for sharing that.

Don't think too much off it. There was probably some heating device up
there.

I also wrote the air might have been warmed down below as well I am not sure

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 7th 08, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Yeah but it only works when the inside is warm and the outside is cold.

For example:

Hot summer days, followed by colder summer days.

The buildings were warmed up by the hot summer days/sun and need lots of
days to cool down.

Thus the inside of the buildings still warm up.

So open both doors and let the colder air come in... too cool things down.

That's what I was talking about mostly

Other situation can ofcourse be hot computers and hot people making the room
warm/hot

Or even both situations at the same time !

However during hot hot hot hot summer days... people are switching to air
conditioning systems which require power

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 9th 08, 08:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Robert Baer[_2_]

As long as one has a wind tunnel, put on wings so you can really fly....
Old July 9th 08, 04:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

martin- Hide quoted text -

fill your house with freon. very well behaved stuff. except in the
atmosphere.