How to upgrade bios from Windows Vista (32 bit)

Old May 31st 08, 07:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
ealadi

Default How to upgrade bios from Windows Vista (32 bit)

My computer came with windows XP. I have since upgrade to Vista
Ultimate. I have downloaded a bios update. The intruction tells me to
boot into a dos command promt and upgrade the bios from there. I have
tried to boot from several Windows installation CD - and press F8 -
but I always end up with my Vista Screen - and I cannot upgrade the
bios from Vista - right?
Thanks for any advice
Ealadi
Old May 31st 08, 02:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

ealadi wrote:

My computer came with windows XP. I have since upgrade to Vista
Ultimate. I have downloaded a bios update. The intruction tells
me to boot into a dos command promt and upgrade the bios from
there. I have tried to boot from several Windows installation CD
- and press F8 - but I always end up with my Vista Screen - and
I cannot upgrade the bios from Vista - right?

That (the Vista 'upgrade') is generally considered a mistake. Read
the following URLs:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423
http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0702.html#8
http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.

Old May 31st 08, 03:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
WebWalker

On Fri, 30 May 2008 23:41:29 -0700 (PDT), ealadi
wrote:

My computer came with windows XP. I have since upgrade to Vista
Ultimate. I have downloaded a bios update. The intruction tells me to
boot into a dos command promt and upgrade the bios from there. I have
tried to boot from several Windows installation CD - and press F8 -
but I always end up with my Vista Screen - and I cannot upgrade the
bios from Vista - right?
Thanks for any advice
Ealadi

You need create a bootable diskette and copy the BIOS update to this
diskette.

Insert in the diskette to the drive before booting up.

If the system fail to boot up from the diskette, change the boot
sequent to diskette from the BIOS.

If you don't understand the above, read the motherboard manual.

p/s Any reason to do the BIOS update? If you don't any any reason to
do it, then my advise - don't it. If anything went wrong, your
motherboard will end up useless.

--
WebWalker
email:
Old May 31st 08, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

ealadi wrote:
My computer came with windows XP. I have since upgrade to Vista
Ultimate. I have downloaded a bios update. The intruction tells me to
boot into a dos command promt and upgrade the bios from there. I have
tried to boot from several Windows installation CD - and press F8 -
but I always end up with my Vista Screen - and I cannot upgrade the
bios from Vista - right?
Thanks for any advice
Ealadi

The third entry down, on this page, has DOS boot disks for BIOS
flashing. http://www.bootdisk.com/

Some things you can do with DRDFLASH are mentioned here. Examine
the files, and see how they line up with the stuff here.

http://www.geocities.com/disk_operat...m/treasure.htm

What I use, is an old DOS boot floppy I made in Win98, years
ago.

Paul
Old June 1st 08, 02:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

My computer came with windows XP. I have since upgrade to Vista
Ultimate. I have downloaded a bios update. The intruction tells me to
boot into a dos command promt and upgrade the bios from there. I have
tried to boot from several Windows installation CD - and press F8 -
but I always end up with my Vista Screen - and I cannot upgrade the
bios from Vista - right?
Thanks for any advice
Ealadi

If you don't have a floppy drive, do you know if your system
can boot a USB flash thumbdrive? If it can, make one DOS
bootable, not loading any memory managers/etc, then put the
DOS flasher program and the bios image on and boot that to
flash it.
Old June 1st 08, 06:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
ealadi

On 31 Maj, 08:41, ealadi wrote:
My computer came with windows XP. I have since upgrade to Vista
Ultimate. I have downloaded a bios update. The intruction tells me to
boot into a dos command promt and upgrade the bios from there. I have
tried to boot from several Windows installation CD - and press F8 -
but I always end up with my Vista Screen - and I cannot upgrade the
bios from Vista - right?
Thanks for any advice
Ealadi

Thanks a lot for cautions and good advice. This was all helpful. I
borrowed my wife's usb-diskdrive and used a Dos-diskette. The
operation seems to be succesful. Ealadi
Old June 1st 08, 07:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
ealadi

On 31 Maj, 08:41, ealadi wrote:
My computer came with windows XP. I have since upgrade to Vista
Ultimate. I have downloaded a bios update. The intruction tells me to
boot into a dos command promt and upgrade the bios from there. I have
tried to boot from several Windows installation CD - and press F8 -
but I always end up with my Vista Screen - and I cannot upgrade the
bios from Vista - right?
Thanks for any advice
Ealadi

Thanks a lot to CBFalconer, Webwalker, Paul and Kony for caution,
useful information and good advice. This was all helpful. I borrowed
my wife's usb-diskdrive and used a Dos-diskette. The operation seems
to be successful. Ealadi
Old June 1st 08, 07:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
ealadi

Thanks a lot to CBFalconer, Webwalker, Paul and Kony for caution,
useful information and good advice. This was all helpful. I borrowed
my wife's usb-diskdrive and used a Dos-diskette. The operation seems
to be successful.

Ealadi