USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

Old April 28th 08, 06:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
2345

Default USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

Arno Wagner wrote
Squeeze wrote
Arno Wagner wrote
Dave Seven wrote

I bought an HD PVR and they use a SATA port to connect an external
HDD instead of USB for extra storage space. I have 5 external USB
HDDs and would rather use one of those than having to buy a new
external SATA HDD. I looked on NCIX for such a converter and can't
find one. Is there such a converter?

Not possible without implementing a full bridge.

USB needs a master on the other side.

So do IDE or SATA or SCSI or... or ... or ... devices, take your pick.

True for IDE and SATA, and consequentially the corresponding
type of converter does not exist for the either. SCSI happens
to be a multi-master bus, where every device can be master, if
so inclined. In modern words, SCSI is Peer-to-Peer, while USB
needs one fixed, dedicated master, has a hierachical structure
and nothing happens without the single, fixed master.

Such a converter would basically need to be a computer that
emulates an SATA drive on the other side.

Similarly that IDE to SCSI converters need to be a computer that
emulates a SCSI drive on the other side, babblebot?

Ahh, roddles the clueless.

Thats ****nert, stupid. The use of the word babblebot is a dead giveaway.

They are done in this way. But as SCSI supports very
slow signalling, usually a slow 8 bit SoC is enough.

Pity that IDE to SCSI converters are available in chip form anyway.
Pity that SATA to IDE converters are available in chip form anyway too.

SATA to IDE is simple, because of the same command-set,
bust structure and bus arbitration.

Hey, there's even IDE to SATA converters, imagine that eh, they plonk
a whole computer on those SATA drives.

So?

Bottom line: While there may be such converters, expect to
pay several hundred or more USD/EUR and expect them to
be the size of a small industrial PC.

Bwahahah.

As usual: No clue, no arguments that withstand even quick
scrutiny and a big mouth.

Old April 28th 08, 06:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
2345

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously Squeeze wrote:
Arno Wagner wrote in
Previously Yousuf Khan wrote:
Dave Seven wrote:
I bought an HD PVR and they use a SATA port to connect an
external HDD instead of USB for extra storage space. I have 5
external USB HDDs and would rather use one of those than having
to buy a new external SATA HDD. I looked on NCIX for such a
converter and can't find one. Is there such a converter?

No need to buy an entire external HDD system, just buy a new
enclosure with an eSATA connector already included on it. And then
you can transfer the hard drive inside one of your USB-only
enclosures into the new enclosure.

However, there is one solution I've seen. It seems to be something
that'll convert SATA into USB, but I'm not sure if it can convert
a USB into a SATA. Your best bet is to get a new enclosure with
the eSATA already built in.

usb to sata usb hub
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...h_usb_hub.html

Yousuf Khan

Unlikely. SATA to USB is easy and oten needed.

USB to SATA is very hard and rarely needed.

No, really?

http://www.addonics.com/products/io/aau2esa.asp

This device is SATA to USB, not the other way round. Read
the discussion.

You are clueless as allways, rod.

You cant even work out who you're talking to.

Its ****nert, stupid.

Old April 28th 08, 08:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Dave Seven

Arno Wagner wrote:

SATA to IDE is simple, because of the same command-set,
bust structure and bus arbitration.

Are there external HDD cases that convert an IDE HDD to a SATA
connection on the external case? I could just buy one of those instead.
I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new external SATA HDD.
Old April 28th 08, 08:46 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Dave Seven

Franc Zabkar wrote:

Maybe one of your external USB HDDs has a SATA HDD inside, in which
case you could just buy an external SATA enclosure and transfer one of
your HDDs to it.

- Franc Zabkar

I have one that has two 500GB SATA HDD's in it but that is a retail unit
that has to stay as it is. The other 4 are units I put together myself
and all use IDE HDD's.
Old April 28th 08, 08:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Dave Seven

Yousuf Khan wrote:

No need to buy an entire external HDD system, just buy a new enclosure
with an eSATA connector already included on it. And then you can
transfer the hard drive inside one of your USB-only enclosures into the
new enclosure.

My HDD's that I can use are all IDE though and that case would require
SATA HDD, no?
Old April 28th 08, 08:49 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Dave Seven

Rod Speed wrote:

Whether that works or not depends on whether the existing external
USB HDDs have sata drives in them or not. It wont work if they have
PATA drives in them and most of the older ones will have PATA drives.

Yea, they are all PATA so nfg. Guess I will have to buy a new eSATA
external HDD.
Old April 28th 08, 08:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Dave Seven

Squeeze wrote:

No, really?

http://www.addonics.com/products/io/aau2esa.asp

That device goes SATA to USB and not USB to SATA, as I need.
Old April 28th 08, 08:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Dave Seven

Arno Wagner wrote:

This device is SATA to USB, not the other way round. Read
the discussion.

You are clueless as allways, rod.

Arno

Thanks for trying to help Arno even if the trolls are giving you aggro
for telling me the correct info.
Old April 28th 08, 10:34 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Dave Seven wrote
Arno Wagner wrote

SATA to IDE is simple, because of the same command-set, bust structure and bus arbitration.

Are there external HDD cases that convert an IDE HDD to a SATA connection on the external case?

Nope.

I could just buy one of those instead.

No such animal.

I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new external SATA HDD.

Thats your only viable option.