bad clusters/sectors on new laptop, chkdsk gets stuck trying to repair

Old August 2nd 07, 10:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops
Rod Speed

Default bad clusters/sectors on new laptop, chkdsk gets stuck trying to repair

M.I.5¾ wrote
Eric Gisin wrote
M.I.5¾ wrote

And a S.M.A.R.T. report would be nice.
If the drive 'has had it' then it will show there in massive numbers for "Reallocated sector
count" and "Current Pending Sector Count"

You need to find out a bit more about how disks work. It was a simplified explanation, so not
entirely accurate, but nevertheless apposite.

Idiot. You don't even know the diff between sectors and clusters.

I do know the diffeence, but as I said, I kept it simple.

You're fooling no one with that lie.

The OP probably doesn't care whether his disk has run out of sectors, clusters, bits, bytes or
anything else.

Irrelevant to you flaunting your pig ignorance.

SMART is only of any use if the laptop supports it. Most do now but not all.

Idiot. SMART has been standard for years.

SMART may be standard in disk drives,

No may be about it.

but it is by no means universal in the PCs themselves.

Doesnt need to be. You just run something like Everest to get the SMART data.

Out IT dept has just sourced 500 core duo PCs, none of which have SMART built into the PC.

Doesnt need to be. You just run something like Everest to get the SMART data.

Old August 2nd 07, 10:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops
Rod Speed

M.I.5¾ wrote:
"Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Val" wrote in message

"Eric Gisin" wrote in message
"Tazz" wrote in message
oups.com...

You can buy ($89.00 US) and download Spinrite (http://www.grc.com/
spinrite.htm) to scan the drive. It will scan for bad sectors and
if/ when it finds one it will try to recover the data in it.

****ing moron. The diagnostics from HP or the drive manufacture
will do so
for $0.
~~~~~~~~

Hey, potty mouth!

The diagnostic will tell you something is wrong.

*IF* something is wrong, Bozo. That's still to be determined.

That's already known.

No, it's not. That only happened inside your fake crystal ball, Bozo.

SpinRite will, in most cases, be able to save any data
that's on those failed/failing sectors/clusters/chunks o'disk,
copying it to
good areas.

Which there won't be, in your stupid scenario, remember.

Enough with all the name calling - if you don't agree with what
someone else
says, disagree. But you don't have to be disagreeable about it.

It's the only way your type learns anything.

Judging by your posting style, you must be the one still learning - after all that is what 13 year
olds are supposed to be doing at school isn't it?

He's likely older than you are, fool.

Still, at least I won't see any more of your childish rants.

Dont bet on it.

Old August 2nd 07, 11:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops
Rod Speed

M.I.5¾ wrote:
"Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Barry Watzman" wrote in message

I could explain why you are getting the error, but it's a long
explanation that I don't feel like typing.

You already have, Bozo. Short memory, have you?

[The short version is that you are out of a type of reserved space
that only exists within the drive ....

it's not visible from outside the drive,

So obviously the OS doesn't now about it and therefor can't report
about it
either. Yet it does. Anyone with more than a pea brain (Bozos
obviously exclu-
ded) will conclude that the OS is obviously not complaining about
that space.

and is neither part of your used OR your free space.]

So it's obvious that the OS isn't complaining about that reserved
space.

Bottom line: your drive has died (some would argue that it's just
"dying" and isn't yet dead. Whatever).

Whatever.

You need a new hard drive. There is no way to avoid it.

Another Bozo the Clown.
There must be whole hordes of them in alt.comp.hardware and/or
comp.sys.laptops.

Or it could be that you is wrong and everyone else is right.

Nope.

Old August 2nd 07, 01:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops
chrisv

M.I.5¾ wrote:

"Eric Gisin" wrote:

"M.I.5¾" wrote:

You need to find out a bit more about how disks work. It was a
simplified explanation, so not entirely accurate, but nevertheless
apposite.

Idiot. You don't even know the diff between sectors and clusters.

I do know the diffeence, but as I said, I kept it simple. The OP probably
doesn't care whether his disk has run out of sectors, clusters, bits, bytes
or anything else.

That's an excuse to use the wrong terms, when the correct terms are
available? Idiot.

Old August 2nd 07, 01:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops
chrisv

M.I.5¾ wrote:

Oh well, the killfile beckons.

Plonk.

You're quite a guy. You make an ass of yourself, call everyone who
corrects you "clueless", and then plonk them. Amazing.

Old August 2nd 07, 02:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops
chrisv

M.I.5¾ wrote:

I have not changed the quoting from what you posted, so I suggest you go and
ask your teacher nicely (if you know how - which you obviously don't) to
explain it to you.

Oh? Below is what you did to Folkert's words when you quoted them.
See anything wrong, there?

I guess, like most idiots who use Outhouse Express for USENET, you're
blind to the utter mess you make of things.

Old August 2nd 07, 02:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops
chrisv

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

"M.I.5¾" wrote:

Ah but Barry, you are forgetting that one Folkert Rienstra, who is obviously
the only person in the world who understands these things says that

you and I and everyone else is wrong.

Only you and everone you, Bozo the clowns.
Three other persons say otherwise, it's not just me.
Even someone as stupid as you should be able to count to three.

Wouldn't bet my life on it...

Old August 2nd 07, 06:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops
345[_2_]

M.I.5¾ wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
M.I.5¾ wrote
Eric Gisin wrote
M.I.5¾ wrote

And a S.M.A.R.T. report would be nice.
If the drive 'has had it' then it will show there in massive
numbers for "Reallocated sector count" and "Current Pending
Sector Count"

You need to find out a bit more about how disks work. It was a
simplified explanation, so not entirely accurate, but nevertheless
apposite.

Idiot. You don't even know the diff between sectors and clusters.

I do know the diffeence, but as I said, I kept it simple.

You're fooling no one with that lie.

The OP probably doesn't care whether his disk has run out of
sectors, clusters, bits, bytes or anything else.

Irrelevant to you flaunting your pig ignorance.

Plonk

Fat lot of good that will ever do you, child.

Old August 2nd 07, 07:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Odie Ferrous

wrote:

I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
the system will just spontaneously crash and then I have to reboot. I
ran chkdsk and it says there are errors on the drive (no specifics).
It then tells me it couldn't repair the problems because the drive was
locked by other processes. I then entered in the command prompt
chkdsk /F/R and answered Yes for to authorize CHKDSK to run on reboot.
When CHKDSK runs on reboot everything is fine until stage 4/5 where I
get a ton of error messages, all the same
"the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters"
I then went into windows and noticed I have only 26GB filled with 74GB
free on a 100GB hard drive. There are no other partitions. So I don't
understand why I am getting this error.
I wonder if there is something seriously wrong with the hard disk
drive.
I want to avoid sending it in to HP as I don't want to be without a
laptop for a few weeks.
Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or diagnose it further.
Thanks

Having read most of the replies to your post, I note that no-one has
mentioned the possibility that you may have a failing (failed?)
read/write head, or flakey drive firmware.

This is the most likely cause of such excessive bad sectors.

The other cause is contamination (either foreign or as the result of a
manufacturing flaw) on the platter that has affected one of the r/w
heads.

Whatever the case, this drive is no longer serviceable and if you have
important data but don't have backups, you could have some problems.

CHKDSK is one of the worst utilities to run on a drive with serious
issues, after Norton Disk Doctor.

Odie
--
Retrodata