Power up problems

Old February 16th 07, 01:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default Power up problems

I have the following setup:
Asus M2N32-SLI Delux
AMD 64 X2 4200
CoolMaster 550w SLI
1GB Corsair DDR2 6400
2 250GB Segate SATA drives
DVD RW
SIlverstone Case
XP Media Centre

This has been working fine for a couple of months up until today -
turned it on and it almost immediately shuts off. It does not even get
to post on the BIOS but the fans all startup and hard drives start
spinning . The green light is on the mother board.

I have taken all the components out except the CPU and it still does
it. If I take out the ATX12v 2x2 pin on the motherboard the PC still
does not get to post but does keep on running.

Is it the motherboard that has gone or the power supply?

Thanks

Julian

Old February 16th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
alpharaptor

You probably have the capacitor plague. It can cause the most bizarre
of problems.
Have a look at this article and see if any of the capacitors on the
board match those in the pictures. I recently had one come into our
shop that was mysteriously turning itself on and off. There are links
in that article to places that repair boards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Old February 16th 07, 11:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DaveW

Yes, most likely either the PSU or the motheboard is to blame. The only
reasonable way to determine which is to replace the PSU with a known working
one and see if that fixes it.

--
--------
DaveW
ups.com...

Old February 17th 07, 04:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
w_tom

Every reply will be speculation because basic facts are not yet
posted. This is why a tool so ubiquitous as to be sold even in K-mart
is needed now. Voltage numbers that only a 3.5 digit meter can read
are necessary as described in: "When your computer dies without
warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup alt.windows-xp or
at:
http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh

Reason for this shutdown may be have obvious months ago - before
problem started causing failures - if taking these numbers with the
meter. The tool is that useful. Meanwhile, post numbers from the
purple, red, orange, yellow, and gray wires as described before, when,
and after power switch is pressed. Information in but two minutes can
result in useful replies - without speculation. Your alternative is
to keep buying things until something works - shotgunning.

Power-up problems Abbat General 0 January 8th 07 03:34 PM
Power problems clarkey1500 Homebuilt PC's 1 April 28th 06 06:48 PM
Old M/B and new Power Supply problems with 12V power connector [email protected] Gateway Computers 2 October 10th 05 08:28 PM
Power On Problems Gemjack Homebuilt PC's 2 November 1st 03 04:49 PM
power-on problems jsd General 1 July 23rd 03 04:31 AM