Brother wants to buy D420: Any owners here?

Old January 30th 07, 08:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Brother wants to buy D420: Any owners here?

My brother likes my 640m so well that he wants to by a
12" model

That leaves either the 1210 or the D420

The 1210 only comes with built in optical drive right?

If yes.....he doe snot want that so that leaves the
D420

Any D420 owners here?
Old January 30th 07, 08:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:42:43 -0600, wrote:

The 1210 only comes with built in optical drive right?

If yes.....he doe snot want that

Why doesn't he want an optical drive?
Old January 30th 07, 08:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

journey wrote:

The 1210 only comes with built in optical drive right?

If yes.....he doe snot want that

Why doesn't he want an optical drive?

Travels a LOT

At least he "thinks" he doesn't want one
Old January 30th 07, 08:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:54:40 -0600, wrote:

Travels a LOT

At least he "thinks" he doesn't want one

Are you happy with your 640m? Did you get a Vista upgrade?
Old January 31st 07, 08:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:54:40 -0600, wrote:

Travels a LOT

At least he "thinks" he doesn't want one

The Latitude D420 has a great form factor -- definitely a little
better than the XPS M1210.

A few things ...

- Make sure the keyboard is full size. It is on the XPS M1210.

- Is battery life important? The XPS M1210 might excel in that area:
"the M1210 is a true high-performance PC offering up to 7 hours 54
minutes of mobile use, using the optional 9-cell Lithium Ion
battery.".

So, those are some things you may want to consider. If batter life's
important then look up some of the reviews, like CNET's. The user
review part of the CNET reviews often show the strong and weak points
of a laptop.

I saw the XPS M1210 the other day, and decided that I'd rather not pay
the premium over the 1405, which does get good battery life.

If I were to get a Latitude, I would go with the D620. It still has
the option of XP with an upgrade, and it has the modular bay where you
can put another battery.

The 9 cell primary battery gets up to 7 hours, and if you ad a 6 cell
media bay battery it would provide more battery life.

Obviously battery life is important to me, but it may not be for your
friend.

Just some things to consider.
Old January 31st 07, 05:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Eugene wrote:

I have the ancestor to the D420, the C400. I've used my optical drive maybe
twice in 4 years so I can see not needing it. Only real issues I see with
the D420 is the drive is 1.8" and not 2.5" so that limits capacity somewhat
and the touchpad is alps and not synaptics.

Ok thanks

Would you forego the external optical drive and get the
media slab instead? The device that latches to bottom
of D420 and has optical drive and all the connectors
Old January 31st 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

journey wrote:

Are you happy with your 640m? Did you get a Vista upgrade?

Love it!! Glad I waited till I needed it tho

No Vista upgrade for me
Old January 31st 07, 05:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

journey wrote:

- Make sure the keyboard is full size. It is on the XPS M1210.

OK. That's may not be the case for the D420?

- Is battery life important? The XPS M1210 might excel in that area:
"the M1210 is a true high-performance PC offering up to 7 hours 54
minutes of mobile use, using the optional 9-cell Lithium Ion
battery.".

The 1210 has BETTER battery life than the D420?

I would have thought the reverse. Will chk into it