Possible to install a second display adapter in a Dimension 8400?

Old December 18th 06, 05:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
J David Ellis

Default Possible to install a second display adapter in a Dimension 8400?

RnR wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:56:18 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
wrote:

that suggests that it can do 1920x100 but it differs from what dells
documentation states and is ambiguous about weather that is analog or
digital mode.

RnR wrote in message ...
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 20:10:22 -0800, J David Ellis
wrote:

A Radeon X300 Series.
If it supports dual monitors, will it support the Cinema's
1920x1200 resolution and 24-bit color depth? It'll be used
for editing stills in Photoshop and movies in Premiere.

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx300/specs.html

Right. I don't know whether he got the card from Dell or
manufacturer. If from Dell, may have less features so you are right.

The card came from Dell with the D8400 nearly two years ago.
I'm not a hardware guy so pardon the probably inadequate
description.

The card has three ports. The leftmost is the one to which
the E173FP is connected. A Dell-supplied U70350LRs.pdf file,
that has a nearly unreadable picture, calls this the "VGA
video connector." The middle port, small and circular,
reminds me of S-video. The .pdf calls this "TV-OUT
connector." The unused right port is similar in size to the
left port. The .pdf calls this "DVI connector."
Old December 18th 06, 06:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
J David Ellis

Thank you for all the hard work. There are three ports
which Dell literature calls VGA, TV and DVI. The adapter was
delivered with the D8400 nearly two years ago. Does this
indicate I might get the same results you got?

Tom Scales wrote:
Those docs are for the Low profile X300, as the X300 in the 8400 has both a
DVI and VGA port.

As I have an 8400 and X300 as well as the Dell 2405FPW (1920x1200) and
E193FP (1280x1024), I decided to test this. Admittedly I was pretty far
into the test before I remembered that I had replaced the piece-of-junk X300
with an nVidia 7600GS, so it took a little extra effort.

Put the X300 back in and installed the latest Radeon drivers.

Tried these combination:

1920x1200 DVI alone -- worked fine. All text at bootup displayed.
Resolution fine.
1280x1024 VGA alone -- also worked fine

Dual monitors (1920x1200 DVI and 1280x1024 VGA) also works just fine on this
card in the D8400

Since you're talking about 1920x1200, then you must NOT be talking about
their 30 inch display, as it has a higher resolution. If you DO mean the 30
inch, then all bets are off and the X300 will likely NOT work.

Hope this helps.
"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
i think this should answer your questions...
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/setup.htm
and this confirms that 1920x1200 is not supported via either digital or
analog connected monitors...
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/specs.htm

"J David Ellis" wrote in message
A Radeon X300 Series.
If it supports dual monitors, will it support the Cinema's 1920x1200
resolution and 24-bit color depth? It'll be used for editing stills in
Photoshop and movies in Premiere.

Christopher Muto wrote:
what video adapter do you currently have? it probably supports dual
monitors already.

"J David Ellis" wrote in message
I'd like to replace the Dell E173FP 1280x1024 display with an Apple
Cinema but I understand the Cinema will not display the low-resolution
text during startup. Is it possible to plug a second adapter into the
Dimension 8400, running XP SP2, and run both displays at once using the
Dell display to show the startup text? --David

Old December 18th 06, 07:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Yes, as that's exactly the card I have, shipped with the machine from Dell.
The center connect IS an s-video port.

It will work just fine.

Tom

Old December 18th 06, 09:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
J David Ellis

This is off topic, but I'm wondering about a review of one
of the Dell 1920x1200 displays that reported color artifacts
in areas of solid tone. Since I'm going to use the new
display for editing photographs in Photoshop (no games; no
DVD movies), this would be a problem. Have you noticed any
unwanted color streaking with your 2405FPW?
--David

Old December 18th 06, 10:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

None. It's absolutely flawless. I use it regularly for Photoshop. I have a
Nikon D2X (12mp) and Epson 7600 printer (24"x36") so I need to ensure the
work is perfect.

Tom