Keyboard replacment

Old October 13th 06, 03:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Keyboard replacment

My laptop had hot cocoa spilled on the keyboard and after a substantial
drying off period it restarts but the scroll lock key will activate
itself as if it were pressed.

I have removed and unpluged the keyboad and resarted machine with an
external keyboard and no problems now for three hours. Would that
indicate that replacing the keyboard will resolve the issue or could
the malfunction be deeper than the keyboard ...like say the interface
connector for the keyboard?

any ideas?

Old October 13th 06, 04:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

wrote in message
oups.com...
My laptop had hot cocoa spilled on the keyboard and after a substantial
drying off period it restarts but the scroll lock key will activate
itself as if it were pressed.

I have removed and unpluged the keyboad and resarted machine with an
external keyboard and no problems now for three hours. Would that
indicate that replacing the keyboard will resolve the issue or could
the malfunction be deeper than the keyboard ...like say the interface
connector for the keyboard?

any ideas?

I'd suspect the notebook keyboard itself. Depending on the model of your
system, probably cost $30 or less to get a new replacement from Dell.

Old October 13th 06, 10:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fathergoose

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
My laptop had hot cocoa spilled on the keyboard and after a substantial
drying off period it restarts but the scroll lock key will activate
itself as if it were pressed.

I have removed and unpluged the keyboad and resarted machine with an
external keyboard and no problems now for three hours. Would that
indicate that replacing the keyboard will resolve the issue or could
the malfunction be deeper than the keyboard ...like say the interface
connector for the keyboard?

any ideas?

I'd suspect the notebook keyboard itself. Depending on the model of your
system, probably cost $30 or less to get a new replacement from Dell.

Good Luck getting DELL to send you the right one though....
I have been trying to get a new keyboard for over a month now.
They have sent the wrong one once and the right one is supposed to be
delivered today...it is for an old Inspiron 8000.....my daughter in grad
school.
Oh I had given DELL the exact part # because I had replaced it twice
before...she spilled on it before....but they sent me an external Spanish
labeled keyboard.
She now has a new E1505 and had spilled something on her old one like
coffee.
One thing you can try is an external keyboard and mouse.

fathergoose

Old October 13th 06, 03:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Your daughter is a slow learner? How many times does she have to spill coffee
on a keyboard before refraining from drinking anything around a computer?

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:47:24 GMT, "Fathergoose"
wrote:

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old October 13th 06, 03:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

she doesn't have to learn if she has a dad that keeps buying replacement
computers for her

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Your daughter is a slow learner? How many times does she have to spill
coffee
on a keyboard before refraining from drinking anything around a computer?

... Ben Myers

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:47:24 GMT, "Fathergoose"

wrote:

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
t...

oups.com...

Old October 13th 06, 03:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

"Ben Myers" wrote in message

Your daughter is a slow learner? How many times does she have to
spill coffee on a keyboard before refraining from drinking anything
around a computer?

Hahaha... I have been using keyboards since 1981, I'm klutzy and my
hands are not as stable as they once were. It maybe because of this, I
never spilled more than a few drops on any keyboard which was too small
to get in between the keys. And I also have pop, coffee, water, and
sometimes beer around my keyboards all of the time. I do have one of
those fully rubberized keyboards which you can't type worth darn as a
backup if anything ever did happen.
--
Bill

Old October 14th 06, 12:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

And for you, and anyone else interested, I am selling original clicky-clacky IBM
101-key AT keyboards, with PS/2 connector, of course. In addition to having
the best tactile feel in any keyboard ever made, they are nearly impervious to
damage. If you dump coffee on the keyboard, you can open it up and clean it
with Q-Tips and some cleaner like Windex or isopropyl alcohol. The keycaps
NEVER wear out, unlike modern keyboards with lettering that wears off.

These don't come cheap. Refurbing them is a labor of love.

Dell once bought IBM or Lexmark keyboards with a Dell logo. I have a few of
these, too... Ben Myers

Old October 14th 06, 01:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fathergoose

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Your daughter is a slow learner? How many times does she have to spill
coffee
on a keyboard before refraining from drinking anything around a computer?

... Ben Myers

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:47:24 GMT, "Fathergoose"

wrote:

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
t...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well I know about the slow learner. If your being a wise guy then forget you
but if not sometimes people do not always do the smart thing....also
accidents do happen unless you are one of the perfect ones, grins

One replacement was due to a spill the other one was because bad keys....so
maybe I wasn't clear but I see you are wanting to jump right to someone's
defense, Eh?

fathergoose

Old October 14th 06, 01:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fathergoose

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
she doesn't have to learn if she has a dad that keeps buying replacement
computers for her

Chris,
She paid for the E1505 herself and I just help her keep them running.
Replacement computers.... I don't think one every 6 years is too soon.
As far as I am concerned she has done a good job ...:0)

fathergoose