Dell Vista?

Old August 3rd 06, 10:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Dell Vista?

"Kevin M" wrote in message
I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

The more I see this topic subject the more it reminds me of Seinfeld. Wasnt
there an episode where his parents moved to "Boca Dell Vista"? or something
like that :-)
Bill

Old August 3rd 06, 03:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
hdrdtd

45-day trial version of Microsoft Virtual PC

"Administrator" wrote in message
Tom Scales wrote:
"Joe Morris" wrote in message

"W" writes:

[Windows Vista schedule and requiements...]

Best guess early 2007. Vista ready is dubious since vista will have
Direct X
10 and none of the video cards sold with the current systems are DX10
able,
so you will need to buy another card down the road...and that is one of
the
major benefits about vista DX10 especially if you are into gaming

Vista will run (or crawl, depending on the speed of your system) with
older, less-capable video cards, but some of the new feechurs -- most
of which don't interest me, either as a user on my personal machines
or as the IT staff "owner" of Windows for my employer's worldwide
operations -- will be enabled only if at boot time the startup code
finds a suitably powerful video adapter.

I'm more worried about the fact that several of the beta builds,
including
the current 5472, cannot be installed under VMWare, apparently due to
sarcasm Microsoft's developers carefully ensuring /sarcasm that the
emulated video card isn't supported by the startup code. I'm especially
concerned about what that says about the future ability to use VMWare
rather than Microsoft's pale imitation of it.

Joe Morris

Really? I have Beta 2 and it runs fine under VMWare, but NOT under
Virtual PC.

Tom

Tom,
On a serious note, how would you rate virtual PC? I assume you are talking
about Microsoft Virtual PC? I have been thinking about buying this
software. I like to experiment with various OS's, but I wanted to get
someone's opinion who had used this sfotware before spending $115.00. Does
it work fairly well?

Thanks

Old August 3rd 06, 03:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pat Conover

"W" wrote in message
.. .

"Kevin M" wrote in message
I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

The more I see this topic subject the more it reminds me of Seinfeld.
Wasnt there an episode where his parents moved to "Boca Dell Vista"? or
something like that :-)
Bill

I think it was "Boca Dell Vista II".

Pat

Old August 3rd 06, 04:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Pat Conover" pat conover at comcast dot net wrote in message

"W" wrote in message
.. .

"Kevin M" wrote in message
I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

The more I see this topic subject the more it reminds me of Seinfeld.
Wasnt there an episode where his parents moved to "Boca Dell Vista"? or
something like that :-)
Bill

I think it was "Boca Dell Vista II".

Pat

Ah yes that was it thanks but maybe one L :-)

Bill

Old August 3rd 06, 04:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pat Conover

"W" wrote in message
.. .

"Pat Conover" pat conover at comcast dot net wrote in message

"W" wrote in message
.. .

"Kevin M" wrote in message
I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

The more I see this topic subject the more it reminds me of Seinfeld.
Wasnt there an episode where his parents moved to "Boca Dell Vista"? or
something like that :-)
Bill

I think it was "Boca Dell Vista II".

Pat

Ah yes that was it thanks but maybe one L :-)

Bill

Yep Bill, definitely one L, it wasn't Michael's retirement community :-)
Then again, maybe it was?

Pat

Old August 3rd 06, 04:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Pat Conover" pat conover at comcast dot net wrote in message
. ..

"W" wrote in message
.. .

"Pat Conover" pat conover at comcast dot net wrote in message

"W" wrote in message
.. .

"Kevin M" wrote in message
I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

The more I see this topic subject the more it reminds me of Seinfeld.
Wasnt there an episode where his parents moved to "Boca Dell Vista"? or
something like that :-)
Bill

I think it was "Boca Dell Vista II".

Pat

Ah yes that was it thanks but maybe one L :-)

Bill

Yep Bill, definitely one L, it wasn't Michael's retirement community :-)
Then again, maybe it was?

Pat

Pat,

Found a Seinfeld blog and it has Del Boca Vista...close anyways :-)
Maybe Michaels secret hideaway
Cheers
Bill

Old August 3rd 06, 05:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"W" wrote in message

"Pat Conover" pat conover at comcast dot net wrote in message
. ..

"W" wrote in message
.. .

"Pat Conover" pat conover at comcast dot net wrote in message

"W" wrote in message
.. .

"Kevin M" wrote in message
[...]

Not really, this is his secret hideaway (g) :

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...9/daily30.html

Old August 3rd 06, 05:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

that mug probably was made in china, not redmond.

"Pat Conover" pat conover at comcast dot net wrote in message
Ben,

ROTFLMAO Those M$ OS/2 coffee mugs were a really, really reliable and
stable OS. I can't get past the splash screen without coffee in the
morning!

Pat

"Ben Myers" ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net wrote in message
Only people at Micro$oft could possibly know, but I do not think they do.
It's
yet another effort to build the most complex operating system in the
world, even
more complicated that XP. With increased complexity comes all manner of
problems, like lower reliability and difficulty integrating all the
various
pieces together. Think of Vista as a sort of binary Taj Mahal, or maybe
a Great
Wall with cloverleaf interchanges.

The most reliable Microsoft product I've ever had is a Microsoft OS/2
coffee
cup, handed out as a promotional item at the very first OS/2 development
course,
back when Bill Gates was sleeping with whomever was the CEO at IBM before
Lou
Gerstner. My Microsoft OS/2 coffee cup has served me with rock solid
reliability every morning for almost 20 years. It has a great shape and
holds
exactly the right amount of coffee. After the OS/2 coffee cup,
Microsoft's
engineering went steeply downhill... Ben Myers

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 10:26:48 -0400, "Kevin M"
wrote:

I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

Ben Myers
Spirit of Performance, Inc.
73 Westcott Road
Harvard, MA 01451
tel: 978-456-3889
fax: 810-963-0412
PayPal & cold hard cash accepted.

Old August 3rd 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
alien

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"W" wrote in message
Found a Seinfeld blog and it has Del Boca Vista...close anyways :-)
Maybe Michaels secret hideaway
Cheers
Bill

Not really, this is his secret hideaway (g) :

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...9/daily30.html

A post from the future, May 2007. Dell Broka Vista.

alien

Old August 4th 06, 08:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sparky Spartacus

Nicholas Andrade wrote:
S.Lewis wrote:
There are a lot of capable P4/533-800mhz Windows XP machines out there in
use that operate perfectly well.

Are you referring to the speed of the processor or the front side bus?
From what MS has published, all P4 533MHz-800MHz FSB's based machines
ought to be more than capable. They list the minimum speed recommended
as "at least 800MHz" with 1GHz suggested for Vista Premium [1]; the
slowest P4 with a 533MHz FSB is 2GHz, and in fact there's no such thing
as a P4 that's below 1GHz (the original was 1.3GHz) [2]. The biggest
hurdle for older machines will likely be RAM, since many of those
machines can't accept high density modules. However most can at least
meet the minim requirement, and if you consider you can find DX9 capable
cards for well under $100, most machines are set. Furthermore, it
wouldn't surprise me if, even in the US, MS offers a Vista equivalent to
Windows XP Starter Edition [3] for older machines.

OMG, shades of IBM's Series 50 models of their ancient punched card
machines!