Dell Vista?

Old August 1st 06, 03:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Kevin M

Default Dell Vista?

I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

Old August 1st 06, 03:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Kevin

"Kevin M" wrote in message
I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

The release has been pushed back several times. The word now is sometime
around the end of the year. Don't hold your breath. Microsoft has had some
issues with this operating system and I think you can count on at least one
more delay in the official release.

Personally, I'm quite satisfied with XP. As far as I'm concerned, Internet
Explorer is working just fine and I have no need for a see-through desktop
interface. I take care of security myself and I'm quite capable of deciding
on my own what media player I want to use or not use.

The full-featured version of Vista will be an incredible resource hog and
not runnable on many systems only a couple of years old. For that reason,
it is sure to break many systems as uniformed users attempt to run it.

Old August 1st 06, 03:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Kevin M" wrote in message
I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

Best guess early 2007. Vista ready is dubious since vista will have Direct X
10 and none of the video cards sold with the current systems are DX10 able,
so you will need to buy another card down the road...and that is one of the
major benefits about vista DX10 especially if you are into gaming

Bill

Old August 1st 06, 03:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Kevin M" wrote in message
I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

What W said. I've heard and read early '07, though MS is wafflling or won't
publicly guarantee even that.

Old August 1st 06, 04:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Kevin M" wrote in message
I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

What W said. I've heard and read early '07, though MS is wafflling or
won't publicly guarantee even that.

Its sure a pity we couldnt have Vista and the Intel dual core duo released
closer together. It would have been great for sales and the consumer. But if
we did I am sure the conspiracy lovers would be out in force :-)

Bill

Old August 1st 06, 04:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"W" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Kevin M" wrote in message
I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

What W said. I've heard and read early '07, though MS is wafflling or
won't publicly guarantee even that.

Its sure a pity we couldnt have Vista and the Intel dual core duo released
closer together. It would have been great for sales and the consumer. But
if we did I am sure the conspiracy lovers would be out in force :-)

Bill

Bill,

Regardless of the claims, I'm unconvinced that either the Core 2 Duo or
Vista produce a significant amount of "excitement" in the short term.

There are a lot of capable P4/533-800mhz Windows XP machines out there in
use that operate perfectly well.

I guess we'll all see if either give Intel or MS a huge "bump" in sales.

I generally stay 2-3 years behind technology anyway.

Stew

Old August 1st 06, 04:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
news

"W" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Kevin M" wrote in message
[...]

I agree time will tell. My P4/3.4 8400 is two years old and knock wood it
has done very well, and I will hang onto it for at least another year, maybe
a bit longer. I will not even bother installing vista on it. I will wait to
see how it thngs shake out before shelling out any $$

Bill

Old August 1st 06, 06:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

i agree. hardware is way ahead of software. and the cost differential
between the latest hardware and that of even one generation behind makes it
seem completely unappealing for most purposes.

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
news

Old August 1st 06, 07:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jack Zwick

In article ,
"Kevin M" wrote:

I've noticed that some of the new Dell computers are advertised "Vista
ready". Does anyone know when Vista is to be released?

Thanks
Kevin

Microsoft typically has issued a "Technology Guarantee" promising a free
upgrade about 90 days before release.
Old August 1st 06, 07:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jack Zwick

In article ,
"S.Lewis" wrote:

"W" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Kevin M" wrote in message
[...]

I've exercised beta 2 of Vista on my 3.0 Ghz Pentium-D with 4 Gig Ram,
and found Vista no great shakes.

Setting it up for dual boot with Windows XP did clobber the f11 boot to
restore from the Ghost partition.