Video Display w/MS Flight Sim 9 (FS9)

Old July 11th 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Harry Gordon

Default Video Display w/MS Flight Sim 9 (FS9)

I have a Dimension 8400 with a nVidia GeForce 6800 GTO 256MB video card. My
computer w/video card was purchased in Dec, 2004. I recently downloaded and
installed a new video driver from nVidia web site. The version was Forceware
84.21. I selected that version based upon my research of what others have
downloaded and used.

When I start my FS9, the splash screen flashes as does the main screen
whenever I press the ALT key or F10 for example. I have tried various
combinations of antialiasing and anisotropic settings along with the display
quality setting. If any one has any suggestions on how to fix the flashes, I
would sure appreciate some help.

BTW, I cannot find any driver specifically for the GTO version of this card.
Before downloading and installing the new driver, there wasn't anything
wrong with my display.

Also, just so as not to waste anyone's time, I have followed every set of
instructions I can find on uninstalling old drivers, using SAFE MODE for
installing new drivers, running a clean-up utility to remove any fragments
of old driver files, etc. I even printed out and followed step-by-step the
instructions from the nVidia web site.

Thanks.

Harry

Old July 11th 06, 10:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Harry Gordon wrote:
When I start my FS9, the splash screen flashes as does the main screen
whenever I press the ALT key or F10 for example. I have tried various
combinations of antialiasing and anisotropic settings along with the
display quality setting. If any one has any suggestions on how to fix
the flashes, I would sure appreciate some help.

Have you tried turning off Hardware Acceleration (graphics Properties,
Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot, move slider to None)? That worked for a
friend who had flickering problems with his mouse in MS Flight Sim.

HTH,

Pete.

Old July 11th 06, 11:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Harry Gordon" wrote in message
[...]

If Pete's suggestion does not help try posting in the
alt.games.Microsoft.flight-sim newsgroup. Lots of help there especially with
video cards and issues
Bill

Old July 11th 06, 04:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Harry Gordon

"P" wrote in message
Harry Gordon wrote:
When I start my FS9, the splash screen flashes as does the main screen
whenever I press the ALT key or F10 for example. I have tried various
combinations of antialiasing and anisotropic settings along with the
display quality setting. If any one has any suggestions on how to fix
the flashes, I would sure appreciate some help.

Have you tried turning off Hardware Acceleration (graphics Properties,
Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot, move slider to None)? That worked for a
friend who had flickering problems with his mouse in MS Flight Sim.

HTH,

Pete.

Thanks, Pete. But unfortunately that didn't work. Appreciate the help!

Harry

Old July 11th 06, 04:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Harry Gordon

"W" wrote in message
news

[...]

Bill, thank you. I have done a lot of research in the flight-sim NG. I was
hoping to find someone in this NG with the exact same Dell configuration
that I have and had experienced the same problem. In fact, after asking my
question here last night, I went to the flight-sim NG and found some very
helpful information that I didn't see before.

Again, I appreciate your suggestion.

Harry

Old July 11th 06, 04:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Harry Gordon" wrote in message

"W" wrote in message
news

[...]

Throw a post back here should you come across a solution. It helps all of us
to learn new information.

Thanks,

Stew

Old July 11th 06, 04:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Harry Gordon" wrote in message

"W" wrote in message
news

[...]

I have an 8400 as well except with an ATI video card. They do get finicky
from time to time :-)
Hope you get it resolved
Bill

Old July 12th 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Harry Gordon

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
news

"Harry Gordon" wrote in message

"W" wrote in message
news

[...]

I ended up trashing the new driver and re-installing the old one. After
adding FS9 to the driver list of applications and maxing out the
antialiasing and anisotropic settings, things are pretty much back to normal
again. With the new driver, I was finally able to eliminate the flashing by
maxing out the A/A's but I wasn't able to eliminate the aircraft preview
screen being black as well as other views being black. Oddly enough, only
when I was in full-screen mode did I get the black windows. In window mode,
everything was fine. Oh well, you can't win them all.

Harry

Old July 12th 06, 01:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Harry Gordon

"W" wrote in message
news

"Harry Gordon" wrote in message

"W" wrote in message
news

[...]

Thanks, Bill. See my response to Stew :-).

Harry