question about Dell cases, do they rivet them closed?

Old July 8th 06, 10:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
miket6065

Default question about Dell cases, do they rivet them closed?

I have a 4600 desktop and the power supply died on me. I ordered a new
power supply but when I went to open the case those allen head screws that I
thought were being used turned out to be something like rivets. Does Dell
actually use rivets or is this some new kind of fastener I haven't seen
before? If so just how do I unscrew it?

Mike

Old July 8th 06, 11:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

miket6065 wrote:
I have a 4600 desktop and the power supply died on me. I ordered a
new power supply but when I went to open the case those allen head
screws that I thought were being used turned out to be something like
rivets. Does Dell actually use rivets or is this some new kind of
fastener I haven't seen before? If so just how do I unscrew it?

Mike

Have a look for an 'L' shaped lever on the back panel, about half-way down
on the right hand side. Press it, and the right-hand panel will fall off.

HTH,

Pete.

Old July 9th 06, 12:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
miket6065

superb, found it, many thanks.

Mike

Old July 9th 06, 04:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

A lot easier than drilling out the rivets, isn't it? ... Ben Myers

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:47:32 GMT, "miket6065" wrote:

superb, found it, many thanks.

Mike

Old July 9th 06, 03:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nota Clu

too funny!

"Ben Myers" ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net wrote in message
A lot easier than drilling out the rivets, isn't it? ... Ben Myers

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:47:32 GMT, "miket6065"
wrote:

superb, found it, many thanks.

Mike

Old July 9th 06, 04:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Ben Myers" ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net wrote in message
A lot easier than drilling out the rivets, isn't it? ... Ben Myers

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.......

Old July 10th 06, 04:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
miket6065

Yep, I am used to the old method of several screws that hold down the case
top. This is one method I hadn't seen before. And no I didn't want to
remove the rivets.

Old July 10th 06, 05:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"miket6065" wrote in message
. net...
Yep, I am used to the old method of several screws that hold down the case
top. This is one method I hadn't seen before. And no I didn't want to
remove the rivets.

Mike,

Here's the official description:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...op.htm#1138085

And the total online service manual for the 4600:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...i/sm/index.htm

Stew