2.5 hdd from toshiba - which caddy?

Old March 8th 13, 01:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

Default 2.5 hdd from toshiba - which caddy?

Hi, I need to connect a 2.5 hard drive from a Toshiba laptop but I can't
figure out which connection it has.

It's not IDE like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-HARD-...2746037&sr=8-1

It's not SATA like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/drive-Enclos...2746162&sr=8-2

It looks more like this pin configuration:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Hard...-/130596347842

but what the heck is that?
Old March 8th 13, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

On 08/03/2013 12:38, 123Jim wrote:
Hi, I need to connect a 2.5 hard drive from a Toshiba laptop but I can't
figure out which connection it has.

It's not IDE like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-HARD-...2746037&sr=8-1

It's not SATA like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/drive-Enclos...2746162&sr=8-2

It looks more like this pin configuration:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Hard...-/130596347842

but what the heck is that?

I think it is this disk: http://www.netcomdirect.com/tosmk2018gap.html
So ATA otherwise known as IDE ..

..... but the interface, the pin configurations does not look like and
does not fit IDE , or SATA ( I have both enclosures)

Old March 8th 13, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken[_5_]

123Jim wrote:
On 08/03/2013 12:38, 123Jim wrote:
Hi, I need to connect a 2.5 hard drive from a Toshiba laptop but I can't
figure out which connection it has.

It's not IDE like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-HARD-...2746037&sr=8-1

It's not SATA like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/drive-Enclos...2746162&sr=8-2

It looks more like this pin configuration:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Hard...-/130596347842

but what the heck is that?

I think it is this disk: http://www.netcomdirect.com/tosmk2018gap.html
So ATA otherwise known as IDE ..

.... but the interface, the pin configurations does not look like and
does not fit IDE , or SATA ( I have both enclosures)

..

You do realize that an IDE pin configuration for a 2 1/2" laptop drive
is smaller than an IDE for a desktop drive I hope. I am not sure from
your comments if that is what you are facing, but it might.
Old March 8th 13, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

On 08/03/2013 20:11, Ken wrote:
123Jim wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have two X 2.5 enclosures one is for IDE and the other is for
SATA. I also have a 3.5 enclosure for IDE.

The HDD I wish to connect is from a now dead Toshiba laptop. It's 2.5 in
size but I'm thinking at the moment that it must have specific Toshiba
interface which connects neither to standard IDE or SATA.

I've had no luck finding an adapter/enclosure as yet.
Old March 8th 13, 10:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

Further to all of this I don't have possession of the drive so I cannot
take a second closer look at it.

On reading this page: http://www.drivesolutions.com/info/aboutlaptop.shtml
I realise it might have an adaptor already attached which could be
easily removed.

However it did look like it might have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Hard...-/130596347842
(also linked earlier - PCB Controller Card Board)

This would be a bigger problem as it would not have an adapter and I'd
need to be looking for a working Toshiba laptop of a similar age to
access the contents of the disk.

Not looking good.
Old March 9th 13, 01:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

123Jim wrote:

Further to all of this I don't have possession of the drive so I cannot
take a second closer look at it.

On reading this page: http://www.drivesolutions.com/info/aboutlaptop.shtml
I realise it might have an adaptor already attached which could be
easily removed.

However it did look like it might have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Hard...-/130596347842
(also linked earlier - PCB Controller Card Board)

This would be a bigger problem as it would not have an adapter and I'd
need to be looking for a working Toshiba laptop of a similar age to
access the contents of the disk.

Not looking good.

Maybe you need a 40 pin IDE plus power (0.1" center to center)
to 44 pin 2.5" IDE interface (2mm center to center pins) adapter.

The 2.5" version of IDE, added the pins necessary to carry +5V and
GND, to run the drive. That meant no additional drive width needed
to house a power connector.

The center to center spacing of the pins, is different on either side
of the adapter. The 0.1" is roughly 2.5mm, while the other side is 2mm,
so the 2.5" drive side has the closer-spaced pins.

*******

It's true, that some laptop drives, when you pull them out of the
laptop, they have an adapter placed over the pins.

The adapter may allow some freedom of movement, for situations
where the laptop casing gets twisted by external forces. The adapter
prevents the connector from getting snapped off. Otherwise, there
wouldn't be much point in using an adapter.

Paul
Old March 9th 13, 08:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

On 09/03/2013 00:02, Paul wrote:
123Jim wrote:

[...]

Thanks all, the HDD did indeed have and adapter on top of a standard 2.5
IDE interface.