Printer Question

Old February 14th 13, 05:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ron

Default Printer Question

A friend on mine has a Dell desktop computer (I think it's a Dimension
2400). She had been using a Dell printer on the same computer for
years w/o a problem. She called me last week to come take a look at
the printer because it stopped working. Something was wrong
mechanically. I told her I couldn't fix it. A friend of hers gave her
a Canon MP160. I hooked it up downloaded the driver (from the Canon
website) and it works fine. One small problem. Every time you turn the
printer on or off it makes the sound of plugging in or unplugging a
piece of hardware (USB plug). Looked in device manger while powering
the printer on and off and it is connecting and disconnecting (yellow
question mark). This machine is running Windows XP Pro SP3. Any ideas
of what the problem is?
Old February 14th 13, 05:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ron

On Feb 14, 12:00*am, Ron wrote:
A friend on mine has a Dell desktop computer (I think it's a Dimension
2400). She had been using a Dell printer on the same computer for
years w/o a problem. She called me last week to come take a look at
the printer because it stopped working. Something was wrong
mechanically. I told her I couldn't fix it. A friend of hers gave her
a Canon MP160. I hooked it up downloaded the driver (from the Canon
website) and it works fine. One small problem. Every time you turn the
printer on or off it makes the sound of plugging in or unplugging a
piece of hardware (USB plug). Looked in device manger while powering
the printer on and off and it is connecting and disconnecting (yellow
question mark). This machine is running Windows XP Pro SP3. Any ideas
of what the problem is?

BTW, the wire is fine and it does the same thing on all USB ports.
Old February 14th 13, 06:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 2/13/2013 11:00 PM, Ron wrote:
A friend on mine has a Dell desktop computer (I think it's a Dimension
2400). She had been using a Dell printer on the same computer for
years w/o a problem. She called me last week to come take a look at
the printer because it stopped working. Something was wrong
mechanically. I told her I couldn't fix it. A friend of hers gave her
a Canon MP160. I hooked it up downloaded the driver (from the Canon
website) and it works fine. One small problem. Every time you turn the
printer on or off it makes the sound of plugging in or unplugging a
piece of hardware (USB plug). Looked in device manger while powering
the printer on and off and it is connecting and disconnecting (yellow
question mark). This machine is running Windows XP Pro SP3. Any ideas
of what the problem is?

Is it presenting a problem?

When the device is powered off, your desktop computer is recognizing
that it is no longer available. When powered on, it spots the "new"
device. That seems reasonable to me.

Is there some sort of problem other than the bleeps and bloops you're
hearing?

Old February 14th 13, 04:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ron

On Feb 14, 1:47*am, Grinder wrote:
On 2/13/2013 11:00 PM, Ron wrote:

[...]

Just the one sound. I've never heard a printer do that after it was
hooked up. Plus, if the printer is off it should turn on when you
click on the print icon with the mouse and it's not doing that. You
have to manually turn on the printer to print something. Like I said,
it works fine, but something isn't quite right.
Old February 14th 13, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 2/13/2013 11:00 PM, Ron wrote:

[...]

It's not the printer, per se, doing that. It's windows spotting the
"new" device. The behavior is typical.

Plus, if the printer is off it should turn on when you
click on the print icon with the mouse and it's not doing that. You
have to manually turn on the printer to print something. Like I said,
it works fine, but something isn't quite right.

I've also not seen a printer that will turn itself on when it has been
specifically turned off. Just leave the printer on. After it's been
idle for long enough, it will go into a low-power state. When it gets
sent another job, it will wake up and get to work.

Nothing in what you've described appears to be anything but ordinary.

Old February 14th 13, 05:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ron

On 2/13/2013 11:00 PM, Ron wrote:

[...]

I have never had a printer do that. You hit print, it brings up your
printer(s), you choose your printer and click print. Unless her
printer is turned on it's not on the list.

Plus, if the printer is off it should turn on when you
click on the print icon with the mouse and it's not doing that. You
have to manually turn on the printer to print something. Like I said,
it works fine, but something isn't quite right.

I've also not seen a printer that will turn itself on when it has been
specifically turned off. *Just leave the printer on. *After it's been
idle for long enough, it will go into a low-power state. *When it gets
sent another job, it will wake up and get to work.

Nothing in what you've described appears to be anything but ordinary.

When I print something with my printer the printer powers on when I
click on "print".

Old February 15th 13, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

On 14/02/2013 17:27, Ron wrote:
When I print something with my printer the printer powers on when I
click on "print".

which printer are you using? Sounds like it has a sleep mode where it is
still connected and ready to wake any time.

Cheap printers don't generally have such a feature. Furthermore if you
insert any USB device Windows makes a sound and does the necessary in
terms of the correct driver. Powering the printer up or down has the
same effect. I'd think you can invoke a response from Windows by
physically powering down your printer, by unplugging it, hitting the
power button on it, or switching off the power at the wall.
Old February 15th 13, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ron

On Feb 14, 7:05*pm, 123Jim wrote:
On 14/02/2013 17:27, Ron wrote:

When I print something with my printer the printer powers on when I
click on "print".

which printer are you using? Sounds like it has a sleep mode where it is
still connected and ready to wake any time.

Cheap printers don't generally have such a feature. Furthermore if you
insert any USB device Windows makes a sound and does the necessary in
terms of the correct driver. Powering the printer up or down has the
same effect. I'd think you can invoke a response from Windows by
physically powering down your printer, by unplugging it, hitting the
power button on it, or switching off the power at the wall.

It's a Lexmark Z715. I don't know about any sleep mode. I just know
when I click on "print" it will turn on if it is off.

HP printer 4M question Jean[_4_] Printers 2 November 30th 09 09:29 PM
Printer/laptop question Syke[_2_] Printers 5 April 17th 09 08:35 AM
Printer Question Dave C.[_2_] Printers 3 September 6th 07 03:38 PM
Printer question! Alon Brodski General 3 May 10th 04 05:13 AM
printer emulation question RB Printers 3 November 19th 03 10:23 PM