choosing between a HP touchpad and Apple iPad

Old August 2nd 11, 01:29 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware

Default choosing between a HP touchpad and Apple iPad

I realize the iPad has a lot more apps than Touchpad and price wise for
a 16GB with Wi-Fi both are around 500, but which would be a better
choice for a user in his mid sixties who has glasses(so needs text size
to be 105 dots per inch or higher). The user has always used Windows
machines and applications(MS-Office). The prime use of the tablet
computer is as a note taking device in MS-Word documents, browsing the
Web, and doing some work on Excel and PowerPoint documents.

1. Would a iPad allow you to directly create
MS-Word, Excel documents which can be moved via a USB drive to your
desktop computer(running Windows) later or would you need some Windows
emulators for that?

2. I understand you can increase text size in iPad, but don't know
about HP's touchpad. Does the WebOS of Touchpad allow you to do that?

3. What would a user who has used Windows machines all his life be more
comfortable with? iPad or Touchpad?

4. If we get a iPad would we need to buy any additional apps for the
needs(editing MS-office documents, reading PDF files etc)? Same for
Touchpad. Which one would have a lower maintenance cost?

5. Can we load the MS-office we have for desktop on the iPad(using some
Windows emulator app) or on the Touchpad? Or, would the devices come
installed with their office suite of programs?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old August 2nd 11, 02:35 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
Dan C

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 20:29:59 -0400, g wrote:

[...]

**** off and kill yourself.

HTH.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as Pelosi moved out of range.
Old August 2nd 11, 03:05 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
Paul

g wrote:
[...]

Let's move all the profile info, into one list:

"user in his mid sixties"
"glasses"
"always used Windows machines"
"MS-Office, MS-Word, Excel, PowerPoint, browsing the Web"

That sounds a lot like a laptop. And preferably, one with a
decent screen on it (ruling out about 2/3rds of available products).

At the very least, a keyboard will be needed, to get any
decent amount of work done.

If you read the advertising text for the Touchpad, it screams "toy"...
This is fine for your own home, but not for much else.

http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/webo.../touchpad.html

And, what's an "iPad" ? Is that a music player of some sort ? :-)

A user who knows Windows, and is in mid sixties, is going to have
at least some clue, how to use the laptop. And where to get
software. With a basic familiarity with how it works, there
will be fewer support phone calls.

Paul
Old August 2nd 11, 03:33 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
Meat Plow[_5_]

[...]

You seem to need a computer rather than an IPad.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Old August 2nd 11, 04:52 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
OldGringo38

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 01:35:31 +0000, Dan C wrote:

[...]

Spot em in a second.

--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
Old August 3rd 11, 04:18 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware

On 8/1/2011 10:05 PM, Paul wrote:
g wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions. He has a laptop and netbook, but wanted
something smaller to take notes in a meeting. Saw one of his meeting
colleagues use an iPad 2 so wants to get it.
Old August 3rd 11, 04:19 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware

On 8/1/2011 10:33 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but the user already has a laptop and netbook, but wanted

Old August 3rd 11, 04:31 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
Bucky Breeder[_3_]

g via :

[...]

Get one of each. Use the one you like best the most.
Use the one you like least as a backup or for visitors.
Tell your visitors that the one you like least is the
one you like most and the one you like most is the one
you like least. Or just hide your favorite when they
come over. I keep an Etch-a-Sketch on my desk when I
have female vistors overnight. That way when they snoop
in my office while I'm asleep, they just think I'm
technologically behind the times a bit, and most well-
educated women like a guy who is not too bright but
very tall, slim, athletic and well-endowed, like me;
so I really don't need the superficial status symbols
to get girls because they are inately driven to try
to have children from my seed. But I get them to sign
an agreement [before we commence any copulation] on my
Etch-a-Sketch. They think they're soooo smart! Little
do they know that I am video-recording everything.

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and I like girls who make loud
noises like The 1812 Overture during the throes of passion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3W6NcHtWlQ

Repent, the end is near! (Or... just smoke 'em if you got 'em.)
Old August 3rd 11, 10:13 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
§ñühwö£f

g wrote:

Thanks, but the user already has a laptop and netbook, but wanted
something smaller to take notes in a meeting. Saw one of his meeting
colleagues use an iPad 2 so wants to get it.

Digital audio recorder.

HTH
--
http://www.ltsaloon.org | www.extinctioncrisis.org