choosing size of anti-glare filter for a Dell XPS one and Dell ST2420L24" W Full HD Monitor

Old April 5th 11, 03:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default choosing size of anti-glare filter for a Dell XPS one and DellST2420L 24" W Full HD Monitor

On 4/3/2011 9:54 PM, Paul wrote:
g wrote:

Currently that user is connected to a VGA port using a DVI adapter
something like

VGA port-DVI adapter-Wire from monitor

He does not face any image degradation now. He is a typical office
user, doing work in MS-Office, browsing the Web, watching some videos
etc.

Can I assume it would be OK to overlook the DVI(HDCP part)?

You can ignore it, until you receive your next service request :-)

It's possible he will never run into a problem. If he inserts an HD
commercial movie, say on a Blu Ray disc, the movie player program
he uses may put up a status message, instead of playing the movie.

I don't know if can play a Blu-Ray disc. He has only a DVD writer
LCD monitors come with the two finishes on the face. You can buy LCD
monitors
with a "matte" finish, which is intended as a glare solution. Or you
can buy monitors with a "crystal" or "glass" finish, which doesn't make
the image as fuzzy as matte does. For older users, under the right
lighting conditions, a "crystal" finish can be superior, because it
offers less parallax effects to text characters. ("Matte" looks like
you're looking through two layers of material.)

Thanks, instead of getting a anti-glare filter how about using a matte
screen protector such as
http://www.viewguard.com/en-us/24.0%...spect-Ratio%29

They appear to be a low cost option. Can you please offer some advice on it?

When installing monitors, and choosing the finish type, you look at the
local lighting conditions. For example, if I was in a location with lots
of overhead fluorescent or high pressure lighting, there would be multiple
reflections of lights coming off the monitor. I might go for a matte finish
in that case (although I might have to compromise on that, if some
other feature was more important to have). If the lighting is
more controlled, the older gentleman is in a private office, a desk lamp
can be strategically placed for lighting so the bulb doesn't bounce
off the screen, that might allow a monitor with a "crystal" finish.
Right now, I'm using a monitor with a "crystal" finish, and I have overhead
incandescent lighting, and I see no reflection at all from that.

A manufacturer could always try to add an AR coating to the exterior
of a "crystal" finish monitor, but the problem with AR coatings in
general, is they can be attacked by common household cleaners
(things like ammonia). In my life, I've ruined a couple monitor faces,
by cleaning them with ammonia based cleansers.

This web page, was prepared by someone who contacted various tech supports
at the LCD manufacturers, and got their advice. Some tech supports weren't
prepared for the question, while others had at least some advice to offer.
My "crystal" finish monitor can be cleaned with Windex, because it is
plain glass on the outside. My monitor is "sneeze proof" because cleanup
is a breeze.

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200...CDCleaning.htm

"The following cleaners are acceptable:

* Water
* IPA (Isoprophyl Alcohol)
* Hexane --- exposure limits ???
* Petroleum Benzine --- carcinogen ?

The following cleaners are unacceptable:

* Acetone
* Ethyl alcohol
* Toluene
* Ethyl acid
* Ammonia --- Why Windex might not be appropriate...
* Methyl chloride"

HTH,
Paul

Thanks a lot. That is very helpful. We use only water as a cleaner. We
use a damp cloth and wipe the screens
Old April 5th 11, 03:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

g wrote:

Thanks, instead of getting a anti-glare filter how about using a matte
screen protector such as
http://www.viewguard.com/en-us/24.0%...spect-Ratio%29

It looks to be frameless, and has exact dimensions listed. So it probably
fits within the recessed area of the screen. (My monitor has no recess,
so I'd need a product with a frame, or some other attachment method like
an adhesive.)

It's $44, so that's a relief.

There is a picture of a similar product here, so you can see what
it looks like under reflective light conditions. You should be
able to make up your mind, by looking at the pictures.

http://www.photodon.com/c/LCD-Protec...l#photocompare

Paul
Old April 5th 11, 03:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Paul wrote:
g wrote:

Thanks, instead of getting a anti-glare filter how about using a matte
screen protector such as
http://www.viewguard.com/en-us/24.0%...spect-Ratio%29

It looks to be frameless, and has exact dimensions listed. So it probably
fits within the recessed area of the screen. (My monitor has no recess,
so I'd need a product with a frame, or some other attachment method like
an adhesive.)

It's $44, so that's a relief.

There is a picture of a similar product here, so you can see what
it looks like under reflective light conditions. You should be
able to make up your mind, by looking at the pictures.

http://www.photodon.com/c/LCD-Protec...l#photocompare

Paul

That's what I get for being in a rush.

It appears to attach via an adhesive on one side.

"Silicone resin adhesion - No residue from glue or paste"

I don't know whether that is a good thing or not. Maybe it
doubles as "fly paper" when you're finished with it :-)

Paul
Old April 6th 11, 02:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 4/5/2011 10:54 AM, Paul wrote:
Paul wrote:
g wrote:

[...]

So, if we get it we would need a silicone resin adhesion(we don't have
that so need to buy that) to glue it with the monitor or some regular
tape would do?

More important would it function as a anti-glare filter at a low cost
or does it have caveats which means getting a anti-glare filter would be
better in the long run for the monitor?

Thanks for your advice and time.
Old April 6th 11, 02:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

g wrote:
On 4/5/2011 10:54 AM, Paul wrote:
Paul wrote:
g wrote:

[...]

Did you look at the picture ? The monitor on the left, has the film applied.

http://www.photodon.com/MXFilmOniMacCompare05-250.jpg

When viewed looking straight into the monitor, you don't see the film then.
So if you're sitting right in front of the monitor, and not off to the side,
it doesn't seem to be affecting the image.

http://www.photodon.com/MXFilmOniMacCompare02-250.jpg

When you buy the $44 item, it comes with a peel-off protective sheet
on the back. Under the protective sheet, is a slightly-adhesive layer.
That is what holds the film in place. So the adhesive is pre applied
and ready to go. There is nothing else to buy.

I make fun of it, because so many adhesives start off with the
grand objective of leaving no residue, but few live up to their
billing. On the short term, a lot of adhesives function as they
should. But left in place long enough, attacked by UV light or ozone,
can change the composition and result in a residue.

So the question for you is, go back and look at the first picture
again. Would your user accept a monitor, with that kind of finish
on the outside ?

It's too bad 3M doesn't sell a kit, with a big piece of anti-glare in
it, some hook arms, and leave it to the user to cut it to size. The
nice thing about a solution that hangs from the monitor, is it is
easy to remove on a moment's notice.

I wonder if you went to a plastics store, whether they would sell
a product like that (something that can be cut to size). We have
at least one store here, that stocks all kinds of plastic products.
Everything st that place is expensive, so it's not really a good
place for hobbyists or home projects. (On the other hand, if I
go to a glass shop, I can still afford window glass :-) )

Paul
Old April 8th 11, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 4/6/2011 9:59 AM, Paul wrote:
g wrote:
On 4/5/2011 10:54 AM, Paul wrote:
Paul wrote:
g wrote:

[...]

Thanks for clarifying. The user is not picky about the finish on the
outside as long as there is no residue on the monitor. He just needs
proper anti-glare. So, if the film can function as well as an anti-glare
filter from 3M, then it is cost effective.

Thanks for your advice and time.
Old April 11th 11, 03:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 4/9/2011 11:51 AM, Joel wrote:
wrote:

My only guess that he may need to adjust the brightness of his monitor,
and it may take few days to get used to with the new setting. This is based
on my experience with newer/different monitors I have changed in decades of
using computer.

I tinkered with the brightness and color temperature a while ago, but
the user was not satisfied.

That's normal, because most people are not happy with whatever default
setting so that's the reason why the monitors come with the adjusting to
please different people. Then tens/hundreds of million of people have
sastified with their personal choices

If the minitor hasn't killed the owner now then I believe s/he will stay
alive for awhile longer. To me it isn't the end of the world so s/he has to
learn to live with whatever the world has to offer

The userhas a tinderbox nature. If something does not act as fast as he
wants on his
computer, he blames me.

Check with Amazaon or similar there you often see the feedbacks

http://www.viewguard.com/en-us/search/Glare%20Screen/

Viewguard products matte screen protectors are cost effective. How do
these screen protectors compare with the anti-glare filters?

In general, protection means a piece of thin plastic to protect the screen
being scratched from some sharp object, Anti-Glare is a special formular or
design to reduce the glare on the surface of glass. Example

- Protection, some wildlife photographers who do lot of shooting in the
dirty condition (mud, dirty water, small flying rock etc.) they protect the
lens by using a clear filter.

- Anti-Glare, similar to monitor, GPS, eBook reader, the difference between
Eyeglass with and without anti-glare look like these.

a. Without anti-glare, in brighter condtion, or some light shine to it
then it may turn into a mirror.

b. With anti-glare, you can see all abjects behind the anti-glare class.
Link below for example

http://www.readingglassesetc.com/eyeglass-lenses.html

There are many samples, but as a professional photographer, eBook, GPS, as
well as anti-glare eyesgless owner I have some personal experience with
those. Example

1. Photography, there is a special filter that you can add to the lens so
you can be able to photograph object behind normal glass or through water.

2. When photography people wearing regular eyeglass you may have to
photograph with different angle, or asking the person to remove the eyeglass
etc.. If the personal wearing anti-glare eyesglass then it's a different
story

3. Then the anti-glare glass vs Anti-glass COATING vs add-on. There are
different choices, designs, qualilities for any of us to say this or that is
the only answer.

Thanks for the suggestions, we have to get the matte coating which would
function as a anti-glare and be a low-cost option.

I appreciate your advice and time.

Also, if I am nit mistaken some manufacture has anti-glare LCD monitor and
the price isn't much more expensive than normal.

http://www.geardiary.com/2011/02/01/...nitor-from-hp/

Yes, the HP L1950 which the user has comes with a anti-glare feature as
per http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../12802_na.HTML
But, it is not sufficient for the user.

Thanks for your advice and time.

Old May 2nd 11, 01:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 4/18/2011 6:55 PM, Joel wrote:
wrote:

3. Then the anti-glare glass vs Anti-glass COATING vs add-on. There are
different choices, designs, qualilities for any of us to say this or that is
the only answer.

Thanks for the suggestions, we have to get the matte coating which would
function as a anti-glare and be a low-cost option.

I appreciate your advice and time.

I believe the COATING only available for eyeglasses and it's more than
just a spray liquid. I also believe that some anti-glass uses on GPS is
probably similar to eyeglasses that you don't want to clean it with alcohol
or similar which may removing the anti-glare coating.

Similar to the transition lens (transition eyeglasses) the expensive type
is usually a thinner layer in between 2 glasses (sandwich) this will last
for many years if not almost forever. The cheaper type is pretty much like
a coating added to the surface of glass which may last for some months or
around 1-2 years (depending on the quality), and it usually turn YELLOW and
stop working (wearing out).

Too many and it's hard to be able to list them all.

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought the coating was for monitors and
it was a low cost option.