finding an internal fiber ethernet card for Dell Optiplex 980

Old February 19th 11, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default finding an internal fiber ethernet card for Dell Optiplex 980

We have multi mode fiber in our office for network access and the
Optiplex came with an Ethernet card only so we need either a transceiver
which can convert the fiber to Ethernet or an internal fiber Ethernet card.

1. We have some spare internal cards(Allied Telesyn AT-2701FX PCI 100Mb
Fiber Ethernet Adapter) whose manual is at
http://www.alliedtelesis.com/media/d.../2701fx_ds.pdf
They were used internally in HP dc 7600 machines which are not being
used at present. Can I remove the AT-2701FX PCI cards from the HP dc
7600 machines and plug it in the Dell Optiplex 980 or are there any
caveats I need to be aware of?

2. Would getting an external transceiver be a better idea in case we
cannot use the Allied Telesyn AT-2701FX PCI cards?

3. Dell claims 32-Bit AT-2801/FX PCMCIA Fiber Card
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...sku=a0404 254
can work as an internal card for that model, but that is also 140$.
Would any other lower priced internal card also work?

The OS is Windows 7 Professional 64bit on the Optiplex

Old February 20th 11, 07:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

g wrote:

So the answer is a "definite maybe" for the AT-2701FX. I'd give it
a shot. On the SFF, you need the low profile faceplate. On the
DT, it depends on whether the riser assembly is in place or not.
On the MT, I think they're actually full height slots.

So, in the MT you mean I have a better chance?

Check your driver situation first (don't bother moving the
hardware, if you can't find a driver file for it.) Networking
cards have the widest driver availability of any card type (span
many OSes), so you're likely to be able to find what you need.

http://www.alliedtelesis.com/media/d.../2701fx_ds.pdf
mentions Windows 7 is supported so I am estimating the drivers should be
there in Windows 7 or Allied Telesis should be offering something on
their site.

HTH,
Paul

Yes, you did, thank you. As always you are a great assistance.

The MT image provided by Dell, looks like a full height faceplate and
a low profile card body in their example. That looks like a good
fit for the AT-2701FX. (View with Flash)

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...es/TD06_02.swf

In that photo, you can see a red card. I think it is plugging into the
blue slot, as shown in this motherboard picture. The Dell documentation
seems to suggest this same motherboard is used for both MT and DT.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ch_mb_mtdt.jpg

Your AT-2701FX would plug into one of the white slots. You'll have to
check first and see if any cards are already installed in there. The
white slots are keyed for 5V and the AT-2701FX is universal. Your motherboard
would correspond to the lower left thing labeled "5V 32-bit PCI Slot. The
"excess" bit on the left-most white slot, has something to do with the
riser, but isn't shown in these diagrams. As far as I know, the riser is
used on the DT model, while on the MT the cards just plug into the slots
directly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...PCI_Keying.png

Most things in the computer, are protected by means of keying and slot
differences.

I think your card and the slot, are PCI 2.2 standard.

http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/conventional/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

Enjoy your PCI, because it won't be around for much longer (due for removal
in the next couple years, from new computers).

Paul
Old February 21st 11, 01:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 2/20/2011 2:31 AM, Paul wrote:

The MT image provided by Dell, looks like a full height faceplate and
a low profile card body in their example. That looks like a good
fit for the AT-2701FX. (View with Flash)

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...es/TD06_02.swf

In that photo, you can see a red card. I think it is plugging into the
blue slot, as shown in this motherboard picture. The Dell documentation
seems to suggest this same motherboard is used for both MT and DT.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ch_mb_mtdt.jpg

Your AT-2701FX would plug into one of the white slots. You'll have to
check first and see if any cards are already installed in there.

The parts installed are
Dell Part Number Part Description

T845M INSTRUCTION..., TRIGGER..., SVC TAG
UC635 Assembly, Switching, Pushbutton Intrusion, GX520
23NVR Adapter, Connector, Video, Dongle, DP2DVI,
Slide, V3
H298M Hard Drive, 160GB, S2, 7.2 Samsung, F1
RU297 Kit, Card, Network, DocumentationAntenna, Screw
Assembly
H093R ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., PWA INTEGRATED...,
BJMT, 980, THIRD PARTY MAINTENANCE...
WG662 Assembly, Shield, Electro Magnetic Interference
Removable, 5.25" FORM FACTOR...
C158J KIT..., DOCUMENTATION..., SERI/WSI,
ENGLAND/ENGLISH..., DAO/BCC
N385R ASSEMBLY..., HEATSINK..., SHROUD..., HIGH
END..., BJMT, 980
GHFR0 Kit, Software, W7P64, Multiple User Interface,
Non European
M372H KEYBOARD..., 104, UNITED STATES...,
QUIETKEY..., PRIMAX ELECTRONICS LTD...
5120P Cord, Power, 125V, 6Feet, SJT..., Unshielded
R1480 System Integration, InformationValidator,
Chassis Def
2VF2K Assembly, Card, Network, Wireless, DW1520,
Desktop
P382H Dual In-Line Memory Module, 4G 1333, 512X64, 8,
240, 2RX8
9TCD9 Card, Graphics, 1GB, Full Height, OHGA1
J251N Kit, Software, Roxio, 10.3, Dell Edition,
Business
M4M08 Assembly, Dvd+/-Rw, 16X, Half Height, Serial
Ata, Hitachi Lg Data Storage
C408D SYSTEM INTEGRATION..., ORDY, INFORMATION...,
LABEL..., MEDIUM..., BASWC
P34RV Kit, Software, Powerdvd, 8.3, True Theatre High
Definition
118UX System Integration, InformationMIAS, Code
TF02D Processor, I7-860, 2.8, 8MB, Lynnfield, 95W, B1
CGKXD DISPLAY..., FLAT PANEL DISPLAY..., 20, 2009W,
BLACK..., MEXICO/MEXICAN..., ENGLISH/PORTUGUESE
/GREEK...
9RRC7 Kit, Mouse, Universal Serial Bus, Point Of
Sale, Logitech, MS111
G1688 SYSTEM INTEGRATION..., INFORMATION...,
VALIDATOR..., TAG/TAGGING..., QUICK
7797R System Integration, Fee Integration, #9

The
white slots are keyed for 5V and the AT-2701FX is universal. Your
motherboard
would correspond to the lower left thing labeled "5V 32-bit PCI Slot. The
"excess" bit on the left-most white slot, has something to do with the
riser, but isn't shown in these diagrams. As far as I know, the riser is
used on the DT model, while on the MT the cards just plug into the slots
directly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...PCI_Keying.png

Most things in the computer, are protected by means of keying and slot
differences.

Thanks, the Optiplex is still in the warranty so have to check with Dell
if opening it and installing the card would void the hardware warranty
or not.

I think your card and the slot, are PCI 2.2 standard.

http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/conventional/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

Enjoy your PCI, because it won't be around for much longer (due for removal
in the next couple years, from new computers).

Paul

Thanks for your suggestions and time.
Old February 21st 11, 08:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

g wrote:

[...]

I think the DW1520 plugs into the item marked as #9 here. That's for
wireless. It would be interesting to see where they routed the antennas.
Normally, an antenna wouldn't work too well *inside* a PC with a metal
chassis :-) Maybe the wireless antennas are under some plastic somewhere.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...DT/sb_diag.htm

The item in your list "Card, Graphics, 1GB" could be an add-in video
card. It would fit in the blue slot. The cooler for the video card,
would point towards the left of the picture. And thus, should not
interfere with what you're trying to plug into the white (PCI) slots.

1024 (MB) ATI HD4550 Radeon (the card could well have a red colored PCB)

Paul
Old February 22nd 11, 01:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 2/21/2011 3:56 AM, Paul wrote:
g wrote:

[...]

Yes, the wireless card does not catch the signals. Your knowledge is
remarkable indeed.

The item in your list "Card, Graphics, 1GB" could be an add-in video
card. It would fit in the blue slot. The cooler for the video card,
would point towards the left of the picture. And thus, should not
interfere with what you're trying to plug into the white (PCI) slots.

Thanks, will try to do that. Thank you again for your suggestions and time.