"Best Buy" for computer memory?

Old January 31st 05, 06:50 PM
Eugene F.

Default "Best Buy" for computer memory?

Hi,

What is the best (both in price and reliability) place to buy computer
memory on-line? Is Crucial still on the "best buy" list?
Right now I'm looking for PC133 SDRAM.

Old January 31st 05, 07:10 PM
daytripper

On 31 Jan 2005 10:50:43 -0800, "Eugene F." wrote:

Hi,

What is the best (both in price and reliability) place to buy computer
memory on-line? Is Crucial still on the "best buy" list?
Right now I'm looking for PC133 SDRAM.

It's awful hard to beat
"get the right dimm the first time - guaranteed to work for life"...

www.crucial.com
Old January 31st 05, 11:39 PM
da_test

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:10:24 -0500, daytripper
wrote:

On 31 Jan 2005 10:50:43 -0800, "Eugene F." wrote:

Hi,

What is the best (both in price and reliability) place to buy computer
memory on-line? Is Crucial still on the "best buy" list?
Right now I'm looking for PC133 SDRAM.

It's awful hard to beat
"get the right dimm the first time - guaranteed to work for life"...

www.crucial.com

www.newegg.com is a good online merchant.
I visited my local Fry's electronics today (in SoCal)
and their prices are good for retail.

On the other hand, BestBuy wanted to sell me generic
256mb pc133 sdram for $95, when it was available
for $35 at newegg.
Dave
Old February 1st 05, 12:03 AM
Eugene F.

Dave,

How is the memory quality at newegg? I do not want to get something
that is bound to fry up sooner or later.

Old February 1st 05, 12:22 AM
da_test

On 31 Jan 2005 16:03:43 -0800, "Eugene F." wrote:

Dave,

How is the memory quality at newegg? I do not want to get something
that is bound to fry up sooner or later.

They have all the major brands. Use their configurator at:
http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.a...log=147&DEPA=1

regards,
Dave
Old February 1st 05, 02:35 AM
keith

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:03:43 -0800, Eugene F. wrote:

Dave,

How is the memory quality at newegg? I do not want to get something
that is bound to fry up sooner or later.

Newegg is a quality reseller. I wouldn't buy form another, except memory.
'tripper is right, as usual. Go to Crucial. George MacD has some
contrarian views based on part numbers and the number of ranks, but I
still stick with Crucial. If it don't work they replace it. ...forever.
The better news is that I've never had to call 'em on their bet.

--
Keith

Old February 1st 05, 03:11 AM
da_test

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:35:06 -0500, keith wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:03:43 -0800, Eugene F. wrote:

Dave,

How is the memory quality at newegg? I do not want to get something
that is bound to fry up sooner or later.

Newegg is a quality reseller. I wouldn't buy form another, except memory.
'tripper is right, as usual. Go to Crucial. George MacD has some
contrarian views based on part numbers and the number of ranks, but I
still stick with Crucial. If it don't work they replace it. ...forever.
The better news is that I've never had to call 'em on their bet.

For some reason, the newegg price for the cl2 memory I just spec'd
out was $2 cheaper than the same memory direct from Crucial!

Dave
Old February 1st 05, 04:37 AM
keith

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:11:55 -0800, da_test wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:35:06 -0500, keith wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:03:43 -0800, Eugene F. wrote:

Dave,

How is the memory quality at newegg? I do not want to get something
that is bound to fry up sooner or later.

Newegg is a quality reseller. I wouldn't buy form another, except memory.
'tripper is right, as usual. Go to Crucial. George MacD has some
contrarian views based on part numbers and the number of ranks, but I
still stick with Crucial. If it don't work they replace it. ...forever.
The better news is that I've never had to call 'em on their bet.

For some reason, the newegg price for the cl2 memory I just spec'd
out was $2 cheaper than the same memory direct from Crucial!

*Exactly* the same memory? Including shipping? Also, note George's
comments earlier this month. The stuff Newegg was selling was actually
better (single rank). No, there is no one "best" answer, but I always
fall on the crucial-direct side for memory, and newegg for pretty much
everythign else. ...unless there is a huge reason to go elsewhere.

--
Keith

Old February 1st 05, 05:04 AM
da_test

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:37:38 -0500, keith wrote:

[...]

I hadn't seen george's comments, but I'll look for them.

It was exactly the same memory - this one: CT32M64S8D7E
However, taking the shipping into account they came out
pretty much even. I just looked again today, and neweggs
supersaver shipping increased slightly. Crucial works out
better now !
regards,
Dave
Old February 1st 05, 11:56 AM
JL

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:35:06 -0500 keith wrote in Message
id: :

number of ranks

^^^^^

When did this word change from banks, and what does it mean, exactly?