Presario 5686 - BIOS halts booting

Old June 1st 04, 01:47 AM
Jan-Petter Loken

Default Presario 5686 - BIOS halts booting

My Presario 5686 stops during the booting process with a screen containing
two two green buttons with the following options:
"F1 Boot" and "F10 Computer Setup".
The red Compaq-logo is visible for a much shorter time than before.
After choosing F1 the booting process proceeds normally.
This occurred for the first time after I changed the graphics card, and in
the process accidentally switched the power-button on and off in a rapid
succession before opening the case.

There is no setting in the BIOS that can change this.
I have tried to reprogram BIOS with the latest Softpaq (10911)
and take out the battery, but to no avail.

The online Compaq guide doesn't give me any help.

I have read about setting the BIOS jumper to "Recovery".
My Mobo doesn't have that option.
I have, however, three pins that seems to have something to do with the
CMOS.
The two close to the battery are jumpered.
It's written "Erase" alongside the pins.
Vertically next to the free pin it is written "CMOS".

The Mobo is a Compaq (Intel) 440BX/ZX.
The BIOS is Compaq and produced by HP.

My questions a
- Do I have any other option left than erasing the BIOS (or CMOS?)?
- What do I do with the jumper to erase the BIOS?
- How do I copy the new code into the flash memory?
- Is erasing very hazardous compared to updating? (I have upgraded my
Presario with, among other things, max memory and a 1 GHz CPU. For our needs
it's a very good and reliable workhorse that I will be very sorry to screw
up.)

--
JP Loken

Old June 1st 04, 02:39 AM
HH

Clearing CMOS is always a possible solution to issues that you describe. To
clear CMOS on the 5686:
1. Move the jumper at JP2 from pins 2-3 to pins 1-2
2. Turn on the PC, allow it to boot up, then shut down
3. Move the jumper back to pins 2-3
4. Boot again, hit F10 to enter the BIOS and select Restore Default
Settings.
HH

Old June 1st 04, 03:21 AM
Jan-Petter Loken

"HH" skrev i melding
Clearing CMOS is always a possible solution to issues that you describe.

clear CMOS on the 5686:
1. Move the jumper at JP2 from pins 2-3 to pins 1-2
2. Turn on the PC, allow it to boot up, then shut down
3. Move the jumper back to pins 2-3
4. Boot again, hit F10 to enter the BIOS and select Restore Default
Settings.
HH

Thanks.
This might be a lot easier than I expected.

I have, however, not the "Restore Default Settings"-option.
The most similar I've found is "Set Defaults and Exit". Will *set* also
*restore* after a clearing of CMOS?

--
JP Loken

Old June 1st 04, 09:00 PM
Jan-Petter Loken

Thanks a lot, HH. I feel confident to go on now.

Thanks for the tip, doS, about the graphics card BIOS.
I will borrow a graphics card and see what happens before I do something
with the mobo BIOS.

But first of all, I have to learn what a graphics card BIOS is, and how to
fix it.
(I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9000 64Mb ViVo.)
I'll be very grateful for tips about sites that are explaining this.

--
JP Loken

"doS" skrev i melding

Old June 1st 04, 09:14 PM
doS

Basically the card has a bios also, my Geforce card just died, and my system
wouldn't boot.Used a different card, and had no problems.

Old June 1st 04, 09:55 PM
Ben Myers

Replace the (typical) 3.3v C2032 lithium battery on the motherboard. The
symptoms are some of those seen when the motherboard battery fails.

.... Ben Myers

Old June 1st 04, 11:24 PM
HH

There is a Maintenance & Service Guide for the 5600 Series Presarios online.
It is he
http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/5600/

Old June 2nd 04, 12:00 AM
Jan-Petter Loken

Thanks.
I'll have a look into that, too.

--
JP Loken

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) skrev i melding

Alert at bootup Katy Asus Motherboards 3 September 24th 04 01:43 PM
Bios update: which file? Katy Asus Motherboards 2 September 23rd 04 04:54 AM
Bios problem Presario 5000 (5BW100) Fredrik Oberg Compaq Computers 0 December 30th 03 07:32 PM
Presario 800 notebook (80XL4) BIOS Scott Masters Compaq Computers 4 November 23rd 03 03:44 PM
A7V333-X new BIOS 1004 Paul Asus Motherboards 4 June 26th 03 12:08 PM