Helpful Advice Needed! FX5600 Runtime Error

Old December 30th 03, 06:22 AM
Anybody

Default Helpful Advice Needed! FX5600 Runtime Error

Ok,
I picked up a XFX 5600 the other day and replaced my 5200, whenever I went
to play a game, I got a Runtime Error pointing to the games exe file. I did
a bit of research and upgraded my Via drivers-no luck. So I went and
lowered my AGP from 4 to 2x in the bios, a fix I read about, and this worked
so far. But....
How much is this hampering me? I got 15,676 in Aquamarks, but ranked about
235 for this card against similar setups. Are there any other options other
then this? I want to be able to use the full potential of this card, so I
need to upgrade my motherboard maybe?
Here are my specs, any advice is welcome (other then recommendations about
getting a new vidcard, especially ATI!)

XP2000+ on a Asus A7V133-C Via Chipset
768mb pc133 Sdram
Usual burner-dvd assortment
XFX 5600 256mb card--45.23 Dets
300Watt PS
2X80gig Hdd

Old December 30th 03, 08:10 AM
Anybody

"Anybody" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
[...]

Just installed Starwars Kotor and got about 1 Minute into it and got the
same ****, maybe I will take recomondations from ATI because Nvidia is
starting to **** me off with their new ****!!

Old December 30th 03, 10:06 AM
The Black Wibble

"Anybody" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

"Anybody" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Ok,
I picked up a XFX 5600 the other day and replaced my 5200, whenever I went
to play a game, I got a Runtime Error pointing to the games exe file. I
did
a bit of research and upgraded my Via drivers-no luck. So I went and
lowered my AGP from 4 to 2x in the bios, a fix I read about, and this
worked
so far. But....
How much is this hampering me?

Hardly at all with most games. But the richer a game is in graphical detail the greater the chance that 2X
will impede performance. At the moment though, I reckon the SDRAM is the greatest bottleneck in your system.

I got 15,676 in Aquamarks, but ranked about

That's HORRIBLE.

235 for this card against similar setups. Are there any other options
other
then this? I want to be able to use the full potential of this card, so I
need to upgrade my motherboard maybe?
Here are my specs, any advice is welcome (other then recommendations about
getting a new vidcard, especially ATI!)

Get an nforce2 based motherboard and stick lots of PC3200 DDR RAM in it.

XP2000+ on a Asus A7V133-C Via Chipset
768mb pc133 Sdram
Usual burner-dvd assortment
XFX 5600 256mb card--45.23 Dets

300Watt PS
2X80gig Hdd

Just installed Starwars Kotor and got about 1 Minute into it and got the
same ****, maybe I will take recomondations from ATI because Nvidia is
starting to **** me off with their new ****!!

I've heard that after installing windows, installing the nVidia drivers ~before~ the motherboard drivers can
cause repetitive errors on some systems.

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

Old December 31st 03, 04:05 AM
Anybody

Gonna buy an Asus A7N8X-X with the NF2 chipset tomorrow, think this will be
a good combo?

"The Black Wibble" wrote in message
"Anybody" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

Old December 31st 03, 08:03 AM
The Black Wibble

"Anybody" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Gonna buy an Asus A7N8X-X with the NF2 chipset tomorrow, think this will be
a good combo?

With the XFX 5600? No. The A7N8X-X is just too good for it.

Tony.