Case Reset Button Woes

Old July 25th 03, 07:40 AM
rcm

Default Case Reset Button Woes

For the past 2-3 three days I have pressed my ATX case reset button by
mistake repeatedly crashing and rebooting my system. I am being just plain
stupid, dysfunctional for some reason. I mean to press the eject button on
my Iomega Zip 250 drive but I somehow stupidly press the reset button which
is exactly at the same level as the Zip drive.

I have been backing up and reorganizing my hard drive onto my Zip disks. So
I end up swapping in and out Zip disks (I have a working set of 5 disks) a
lot in the past days.

But I have gotten into this spastic habit of pressing the reset button like
an idiot. I try to eject the disk from the file menu but I forget.

My question is:

How can I fix the reset button to make it more difficult to press but still
be available for those times I need it?

I do NOT want to disconnect the reset from the motherboard inside.

My case has a small reset button that is slightly raised above the case
front surface. Currently I stuck a Post-It note over it so I can't see to
push it. I was thinking of putting a outdoor hose washer over it to raise
the edges so I can't push it in as easy and maybe see it as a black washer
on a beige case would stand out. I would use double-sided tape to stick the
washer on.

Any suggestions out there? Surely someone must have this problem.
Especially with kids.

P. S.This reminds me of the old Apple II days when you would press the reset
button (top right corner of the keyboard) by mistake playing games.
Somewhere I read in a magazine that this was such a problem that people
would disable it by putting a hose washer under the keycap to make it only
reset with a firm steady push on the key instead of an accidental one.
That's what I did and it worked.

Old July 25th 03, 11:38 AM
Alien Zord

"rcm" wrote in message
. ca...
For the past 2-3 three days I have pressed my ATX case reset button by
mistake repeatedly crashing and rebooting my system. I am being just

plain
stupid, dysfunctional for some reason. I mean to press the eject

button on
my Iomega Zip 250 drive but I somehow stupidly press the reset button

which
is exactly at the same level as the Zip drive.
snipped

Most cases have a button in front of a switch so if you remove it you
will have to use a pen or similar object to activate the switch. You
could also try cutting a bit of the button off to make it recessed.

Old July 25th 03, 12:28 PM
S.Heenan

rcm wrote:
[...]

Next time the Gypsies are by, offer them the kids on a Two For One Special.

If that doesn't work, the washer or a recessed momentary switch should do
the trick. It was thinking of a steel washer, but a rubber one makes more
sense.

--
Winerr 00B - Push Error; Removing Files to Make Room for Advertisement

Old July 25th 03, 03:22 PM
santa

"Alien Zord" wrote in message
: "rcm" wrote in message
: . ca...
: For the past 2-3 three days I have pressed my ATX case reset button by
: mistake repeatedly crashing and rebooting my system. I am being just
: plain
: stupid, dysfunctional for some reason. I mean to press the eject
: button on
: my Iomega Zip 250 drive but I somehow stupidly press the reset button
: which
: is exactly at the same level as the Zip drive.
: snipped
:
:
: Most cases have a button in front of a switch so if you remove it you
: will have to use a pen or similar object to activate the switch. You
: could also try cutting a bit of the button off to make it recessed.
:
: beer bottle caps held on with duct tape work just great. You get to drink
the beer too!

claus

Old July 25th 03, 04:58 PM
Me

If your motherboard is the type that makes you hold down the power button
for about half an hour to turn it off, you can wire the reset switch in
parallel with the power switch(short push resets, long push powers off). I
have seen many computers that do this.

--
I believe in having an open mind,
but not so open that my brains fall out.

Old July 25th 03, 06:02 PM
AD C

Me wrote:

If your motherboard is the type that makes you hold down the power button
for about half an hour to turn it off, you can wire the reset switch in
parallel with the power switch(short push resets, long push powers off). I
have seen many computers that do this.

The only problem is, you got to make sure your computer do not go into
shutdown mode or standby as some computers will do that if you just
press the power button.

Mine is set up to suspend to ram, if I press the power button.
You can change it, by using the power settings.