XP reboots, in all F8 modes, virus problem

Old August 23rd 04, 06:36 PM
!Allen Lasting

Default XP reboots, in all F8 modes, virus problem

Hi,

My friend's wife's computer started acting funny a couple of weeks ago, and
it gradually got worse. From talking on the phone it sounded like a virus
in a restore point, but by the time he got around to looking at it, it would
no longer boot at all. Somehow she had managed to get it to boot and could
get some online time before it rebooted so she just used it that way until
it stopped booting altogether.
So now it's on my dining room table.

Here's what I did so far:
Tried normal boot. No Go.
Tried to get it to come up in Safe Mode. No Go.
Tried to get it to come up from last known good restore point. No go.
Set it to boot from the A drive and got to a dos prompt with a dos system
disk.
Got vcleaner on a floppy from Grissoft's web site, and tried to run it. No
luck, it won't run from a dos prompt.
I have an old 500 MB hard drive with win98 on it. Took the XP drive out,
and set the system up using win98.
Put the XP drive back in as a Slave hoping I could run Vcleaner on the slave
drive. No luck because
the XP drive doesn't show up in My Computer. I guess it's because 98 is Fat
32 and XP is NTFS so 98 can't see it.

Which is the end of the line for me. I don't know what else to do. Can
anybody give me some advice on how to
proceed? Due to the time involved in re-loading XP, all her software, and
loosing all her data files, I'd rather
fix it if I can, or take it to somebody who could, if I can't so I don't
have to deal with "you lost all my files!"

TIA for any ideas,

Al

Old August 23rd 04, 07:05 PM
JAD

won't boot from a dos disk? 98 or Me or
something...www.bootdisk.com....... if it won't boot to dos then its
not a "software problem". Since safe mode won't boot, the restore
point thing doesn't apply, as its not loaded nor is it using a restore
point to boot currently. Since it won't boot to SM, I would say
possibly a memory problem or maybe a HD malfunction. Can you run
scandisk from dos?

Old August 23rd 04, 07:17 PM
JAD

ooops missed part of that...........try and boot from the CD-ROM
(XP) and do a repair install

Old August 23rd 04, 08:43 PM
ToolPackinMama

Michael Cecil wrote:

- Do a repair install of XP so you don't have to reinstall the software,
but this probably wouldn't fix a virus problem. It might let you boot
into the system long enough to fix it however.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

IMHO that would be the best thing to try first.
Old August 23rd 04, 10:07 PM
ToolPackinMama

Michael Cecil wrote:

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:43:56 -0400, ToolPackinMama
wrote:

Michael Cecil wrote:

- Do a repair install of XP so you don't have to reinstall the software,
but this probably wouldn't fix a virus problem. It might let you boot
into the system long enough to fix it however.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

IMHO that would be the best thing to try first.

I was just listing things to try

Yes, and a lovely list it was, too.
Old August 23rd 04, 10:49 PM
GTS

Hey a friend has a similar sounding issue at present - after D/L a game form
Download.com and a critical update from MS (maybe pure coincidence) he can't
boot into XP - and repair install from the XP CD does not work either!
'course a problem is that with any FAT boot disk you can't see NTFS
partitions, but worryingly CHKDSK shows that the disk is 40gb with 38gb free
space! Apart from XP on the drive he did have many GB's or documents /
photos - so god knows where it's all gone - or is it just that from DOS it
is not seeing the NTFS files at all and is reporting it as free space? If
all the files have gone, then I guess that is why repair install does not
work, as the CD can't find any windowsfiles to repair...
To add to the mystery, he tried fresh install from his Evesham XP disk, and
that won't work either!
I have run out of ideas to help - can anyone suggest other stuff to try?

Old August 24th 04, 01:39 AM
!Allen Lasting

thanks for advice. The consensus looks like I should try to do a repair
install first. Is this the same as installing 98 over itself? I've done
that in the past successfully. I mean, is it the same idea where the data
and the installed software arn't deleted?

Al

Old August 24th 04, 02:35 AM
!Allen Lasting

Hi,
No go on the repair solution. It started ok, and then when it was at 13
minutes to lift off, it hung giving this error msg:

unregmp2.exe
procedure entry point GETIUMS could nt be located in the dynamic link
library MSDART.dll.

I hope in layman's terms this intrepets as, "hey, it's cool. no problem
here, hit these keys, and all's well"

You guys know the which keys they may be?

Al

Old August 24th 04, 02:49 AM
!Allen Lasting

I just found this and it looks promising:

Error "Unregmp2.exe - entry point not found, the Procedure entry point
GETIUMS could not be located in the Dynamic link library MSDART.DLL."

----

The above error may occur when the Windows XP clean or a repair installation
is running.

To fix this problem, please do the following:

1. Press SHIFT+F10 to bring up the command prompt.

2. Type TASKMGR.EXE in the DOS window and press enter. This will open the
Task Manager.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, try CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.

4. In the Task Manager, select the error message window in the Application
list and click End Task.

5. Click the Processes tab and select the process UNREGMP2.EXE and click End
Process.

6. Exit the Command Prompt and resume the installation process.

This should help.