Next generation AMD to be called "Phenom"

Old May 11th 07, 08:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
lyon_wonder

Default Next generation AMD to be called "Phenom"

AMD details its desktop plans for the next year, though be it a
quarter later than originally planned

AMD this week took the covers off its quad-core desktop CPU codenamed
Agena FX in Sunnyvale, California. The processor was featured in
single and dual-socket configurations -- the dual-socket
configurations mark AMD's first demonstration of an 8-core desktop.

Next week Monday, AMD will reveal the brand name for this Agena
FX-based brand, Phenom FX. The official launch date for Agena is
still undetermined.

"Quad-core, codenamed Barcelona will launch later this summer, in the
July, August kind of time frame -- followed by [Agena FX] on the
desktop," stated Robert Rivet, AMD executive vice president and CFO.

AMD demonstrated the power of this Phenom FX system by encoding a
1080p movie trailer into H.264 in near-realtime. The company would
not reveal the clock frequencies to DailyTech, though previous company
guidance indicated Agena FX will debut at 2.6 GHz clock frequencies.

Agena FX is just the halo product for the desktop AMD K10 lineup.
Agena (non-FX) will constitute the bulk of AMD's Phenom offerings.
Agena is essentially identical to Agena FX, though the non-FX
processor does not support symmetric multiprocessing -- Agena FX can
support up to two sockets at this time. AMD will also announce its
dual-core Agena bins, codenamed Kuma, shortly after Agena.

Intel is slated to launch its 45nm Penryn processor family in late
2007. "Penryn will be shipping in 2007," stated Intel representative
Nick Knupffer. "We are launching server versions of Penryn in the
second half of 2007," he added.

Intel's desktop variants of Penryn, dubbed dual-core Wolfdale and
quad-core Yorkfield, surfaced last month. The server counterparts to
these chips, dubbed dual-core Hapertown and quad-core Yorkfield will
suceed the existing Clovertown and Woodcrest Xeon components.

AMD's Rivet makes one promise; we'll see quad-core desktop components
in 2007. "That'll launch a little after the server part, it'll be
called Agena. You'll see that in the Christmas line-up," Rivet
claimed.

http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Claims+...rticle7232.htm
Old May 17th 07, 03:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Guest[_2_]

I want to know do I need a new motherboard in order for it to support DDR2
1066? I assume that I should not...

Old May 19th 07, 08:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Zephyr

What? Are you Yoda now? ["I ass-u-me that I should not......."]

--
Zyp