$100 laptop will cost $175

Old April 27th 07, 09:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

Default $100 laptop will cost $175

quote
The machine will cost $175 and will be able to run Windows along with
its open source software.
OLP will have the option of running Microsoft's $3 XP starter...
/quote

Last time I checked ebay, for $169 can be had an IBM T22 with
P3M-900MHz - better spec than OLP, and bigger screen, too. Dockable.
Runs XP pro, not el cheapo starter - yes it can run Linux, too.
Though less likely to withstand abuse, if given to a child - but
probably even mil-spec is not tough enough in child's hands.

NNN

Old April 27th 07, 11:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

oops,
forgot to paste the URL:
http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39210
NNN

Old April 30th 07, 10:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan

wrote:
oops,
forgot to paste the URL:
http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39210
NNN

It looks like Microsoft's $3 XP has finally gotten OLPC endorsement.
Microsoft was probably pretty worried about the implications OLPC had
for its marketshare.

Yousuf Khan
Old May 1st 07, 11:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:44:04 -0400) it happened Yousuf Khan
wrote in :

wrote:
oops,
forgot to paste the URL:
http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39210
NNN

It looks like Microsoft's $3 XP has finally gotten OLPC endorsement.
Microsoft was probably pretty worried about the implications OLPC had
for its marketshare.

Yousuf Khan

It is all a big con.
At least I see it that way.
here are poor governments with poor kids, waiting for a 100$ laptop.
Here comes US politics, says: Negroponte do as you are told, we want $$profits$$$,
we have a deficit, we need to kill more people, so up the price, lower the
standards, and f*ck all your promises.

Lets see? How much does it cost with a simple Linux? (all you need actually, and learning
them kids Unix would be GOOD, but would of course make real programmers, and be big competition
to US C++ mouse players.
Well, after import tariffs, local shipping, shipping from China to Europe,
profit for reseller, 20% taxes here, I can buy the Chinese DVD player for say 60 Euro
(say 85 $, less with US tax).
What is in the A DVD drive, A switch mode power supply, audio amp, hardware
mpeg2 + Divx decoder, connectors, case, IR remote control with fluorescent
buttons, 2 batteries... memory, demo DVD.

So what is in a super minimal laptop?
Processor, memory, flash memory, display, keyboard, and in this case wireless
interface.

Well what does it cost?
I give you a real example:

I have a Linksys WAP54G wireless access point, it costs about 65 Euro (inc 20% tax) here.
If you order 1 million you can get it for less then half I'd say (if not _much_ less),
so say 30 Euro.
And what is in it?
A Broadcom BCM5352 wireless 250 MHz or so processor, couple of MB FLASH, some MB DRAM,
and ___GUESS____WHAT____ *LINUX*.
So, and it has Ethernet 100 too, wireless, and even a hidden serial port inside,
so you can ctrl C it during boot and get the Linux command prompt.
A keyboard these days costs in 1 M quantity about 5 $
And a display perhaps 20 (for small size).
Hey!!!! I have outdone Negroponte and MIT in a minute!!!
No kidding!!!

So to all the poor countries, you can say: 'Contract breach,' 75% more is no good,
MS windows has no educational value...
Talk to me, I will help you out!

What a null Negroponte is!

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/WAP54G
Linksys Linux open source code:
http://www-au.linksys.com/servlet/Sa...s itorWrapper

PS
You may say: What about educational soft that has to run on it?
Educate _WHAT_, if you want to learn them IT learn the C, hardware systems, all there.
If you want to make them imbecile icon clickers that have no clue what happens when you press on
a 'peer' or 'apple' or 'face', go on, hug MS.

Tell you what, I _have_ that soft from that link above, if you understand it all you are good
to go for a degree in computer science.

! (sign for f*ck you Negroponte).

Old May 1st 07, 03:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:15:25 GMT, Jan Panteltje
wrote:

What a null Negroponte is!

Well, looks like you have to brush up on your SQL. AFAIK null is a
value that is unknown, and is not comparable to defined values, and
also is not equal to other nulls (at least under standard SQL Server
settings). If I understand you correctly, you have defined quite
clearly, at least for yourself, who Negroponte is, and how he compares
to some ____ [animals, body parts, byproducts thereof, other -
specify] - fill the blank.
;-)
NNN

EPP Cost vs. Coupon Cost? Boris Dell Computers 4 July 22nd 06 07:08 PM
Low cost 1TB and up NAS Jay Storage & Hardrives 0 March 10th 05 06:47 PM
low cost replacement hard drive for IBM Thinkpad i1400 laptop Ian Roberts Storage (alternative) 7 April 7th 04 12:31 AM
Cost per A4 GigiVega Printers 9 July 20th 03 11:03 PM
HP Deskjet 722c cost VS Color Copier cost SkatingMom Printers 0 July 17th 03 03:42 PM