Celeron 300 on intel BX

Old June 9th 04, 08:26 PM
Ygrek

Default Celeron 300 on intel BX

I got Celeron 300 on intel SE440BX motherboard. How to speedup it, i'm lame
in this subject. Then if its possible ples writ me this step by step. Thanks
all for help and sorry for my english

--
Ygrek
http://www.ygrek.netlook.pl

Old June 9th 04, 09:12 PM
Phil Weldon

First, hope that what you have is a Celeron 300A; the Celeron 300 has no L2
cache, and is slower than a Pentium 200 MMX. If you DO have the Celeron
300A, the good news is that overclocking by 50% is almost guaranteed, just
by raising the FrontSide Bus speed from 66 MHz to 100 MHz. The bad news is
that any Intel motherboard makes overclocking nearly impossible. You might
be able to cut a trace on the CPU circuitboard to force selection of a 100
MHz FSB, but even that will not work with your Intel SE440BX motherboard;
it WILL NOT support Celeron CPUs, only Pentium III and Pentium II CPUs,
and Intel never issued a BIOS update to make Celeron use possible.

IF, on the other hand, you actually have an Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard,
a Celeron CPU IS supported.

As for step-by-step directions; you really should dig up that information
for yourself. It has been a long time, I think, since any participants in
this newsgroup worked to overclock Celeron 300A CPUs, especially using an
Intel motherboard (if ANYONE ever did.) At one time there was a website that
described what trace to cut on the CPU carrier circuit board, and also how
to cut and bridge traces to change the default core voltage, but I no longer
have that URL; I'd have to look at one of my old Celeron 300A CPUs and find
the cut.

Believe me when I say the Intel SE440BX will not support a Celeron CPU; I
had one and it would not even boot with a Celeron. Six calls to Intel
brought no relief (or even an explanation.) For further information on the
Celeron incompatibility, see
http://www.intel.com/support/motherb...BX/se_proc.htm
and
http://www.intel.com/support/motherb...2/procsupp.htm .

If you do happen to have a Celeron 300A rather than the Celeron 300 AND
have an Intel SE440BX-2 rather than the Intel SE440BX, post your question
again and perhaps some one will still have information on the trace cutting
tricks (which is likely somethin you might not want to do.)

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

Old June 9th 04, 09:15 PM
Lee

Hows this for a good read?
http://www.overclockers.com/tips23/

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:26:57 +0200, "Ygrek" ygrek_3(to
wrote:

:I got Celeron 300 on intel SE440BX motherboard. How to speedup it, i'm lame
:in this subject. Then if its possible ples writ me this step by step. Thanks
:all for help and sorry for my english

-----
Lee.
Old June 9th 04, 10:06 PM
Ygrek

Thanks for all, i just leave it, my knowledge is too pour. I think i must
buy new hardware. Thanx.

--
Ygrek
http://www.ygrek.netlook.pl

Old June 9th 04, 11:02 PM
Phil Weldon

http://www.starmicro.net/ sells used Pentium II 450 MHz CPUs for $13 US;
this CPU would work in an Intel SE440BX or an Intel SE440BX-2. Perhaps you
can find such a source in the EU. If you already have the motherboard and
memory, it might be worth it to search for such a CPU. Without a Slot 1
Pentium II or Slot I Pentium III with a speed under 500 MHz, an Intel
SE440BX is worthless.