Need help to overclock PC3200 Ram [please?]

Old April 21st 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard
Bob Brown

Default Need help to overclock PC3200 Ram [please?]

---------------------------------
SYSTEM STATS
Motherboard Asus A8S-X Chipset SiS 756 AMD Hammer
CPU AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice S939 Step DH-E6

RAM 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM) Corsair VS1GB400C3

Ram timings are "currently defaulted" at 3-3-3-8

1. Can this RAM by tweaked/Overclocked?
2. If yes, How do I OC/TWEAK this RAM?
3. Is their some Software or a good Website to explain this?
4. Do I OC/TWEAK RAM via Software or BIOS settings?
5. If Yes, what are some of the things I should look for?
6. What are some of the benefits to overclocking RAM?
7. How can I test to measure any benefits to OC'ing the RAM?
8. Is their an issue with stability and how can I avoid it?

If you are unable to answer or think the reply would just be way too
long of a post, could you PLEASE provide me with a list of some good
websites on this subjects? Especially some websites with detailed
steps on overclocking my RAM?

P.S. If this is the wrong NG let me know. And if my post was not
complete enough to understand what I am asking then please ask me what
I left out of the post.

Thank You very much

Posted 4-21-2007 saturday

Old April 21st 07, 10:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:19:50 -0400, wrote:

---------------------------------
SYSTEM STATS
Motherboard Asus A8S-X Chipset SiS 756 AMD Hammer
CPU AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice S939 Step DH-E6

You CPU can't be both a Hammer and Venice core. E6 stepping is the Venice
core.

RAM 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM) Corsair VS1GB400C3

Ram timings are "currently defaulted" at 3-3-3-8

1. Can this RAM by tweaked/Overclocked?

Yes, but it's of little value to do so normally.

2. If yes, How do I OC/TWEAK this RAM?

Raise the ram clock. Increase volage to ram.

3. Is their some Software or a good Website to explain this?

Probably somewhere. I haven't looked for it.

4. Do I OC/TWEAK RAM via Software or BIOS settings?

Normally the bios.

5. If Yes, what are some of the things I should look for?
6. What are some of the benefits to overclocking RAM?

There are no real benefits to overclocking ram. Lowering CAS latency will
do more, but not enough to make a big difference in system performance.

If you are unable to answer or think the reply would just be way too
long of a post, could you PLEASE provide me with a list of some good
websites on this subjects? Especially some websites with detailed steps
on overclocking my RAM?

Assuming you want to get better performance out of your system, you should
lower the default ram clock by 33 or 66MHz. Lower the HT speed from 5x to
4x or even 3x. And then crank the FSB speed from the default 200MHz to,
well, as high as it will work or that you want. I don't knoe much about
the SIS 756, but I've overclocked the older 755 easily on several boards.
I'd assume the 756 would be better. Your cpu has an 11 multiplier and
defaults to 2200MHz. Set ram to 166MHz (might already be there if using
BySpd), Set HT to 4x, set cpu freq. to 234Mhz and reboot. Both my Venice
core cpu's with a default of 2200MHz will work at 234Mhz without raising
cpu voltage. YMMV. Always use a boot floppy or cd to to test overclocking.
A memtest boot media works well.

All crossposting removed.

Need help to overclock PC3200 Ram [please?] Bob Brown Overclocking 0 April 21st 07 07:19 PM
PC3200 David Nguyen General 2 February 4th 05 01:33 PM
OCZ EL PC3200 2-3-2-6 spinlock Asus Motherboards 0 September 10th 04 02:33 AM
PC3200 RAM Nik Asus Motherboards 4 May 29th 04 09:16 AM
kingston hyperx pc3200 vs mushkin blue pc3200 someone General 1 August 18th 03 01:47 PM