presario 5240

Old February 12th 06, 12:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default presario 5240

Hi,

I got a compaq presario 5240 and i want to make a clean
installation of Xp on it.
Anybody who can tell me how the enter the Bios, so i can
set the dvd player as first boot device, and format the whole
hd ?

Thanks in advance!

heian

Old February 12th 06, 01:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

"heian" schreef in bericht
. ..
Hi,

I got a compaq presario 5240 and i want to make a clean
installation of Xp on it.
Anybody who can tell me how the enter the Bios, so i can
set the dvd player as first boot device, and format the whole
hd ?

Thanks in advance!

heian

booting with PF 10 gives me a computer setup;

system --- communicatons ---storage ---inputdevices --- multimedia --- exit

but no bootsequence !

Old February 13th 06, 10:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

I have a presario that is in the same series
Mine came set from the factory to boot from the restore CD

If you are not able to boot from the CD
I can send you a floppy that will allow you to boot right to the CD

"heian" wrote in message
. ..

"heian" schreef in bericht
. ..

Old February 13th 06, 10:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

This is from the compaq site
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00007689

"metronid" wrote in message
. ..
I have a presario that is in the same series
Mine came set from the factory to boot from the restore CD

If you are not able to boot from the CD
I can send you a floppy that will allow you to boot right to the CD

"heian" wrote in message
. ..

"heian" schreef in bericht
. ..

Old February 13th 06, 05:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Hi Metronid,

I have read so much about this computer on the internet, specially about the
Bios.
The bios is located on a small partition on the harddrive, and after a
format
with Fdisk, (i made it one big partition) the whole bios is gone.

I downloaded a diagnostic- and setup disk from the compaq site, but
the setup disk is not bootable, and the diagnostic program comes with
an error. With a window98 bootdisk, i could boot, setup windowsXp.
But after every reboot it hangs.

As far as i read in forums, no one got it working after replacing or
formatting the HD. So i think i better look for another motherboard,
than get headache with it.

Many thanks for your offer and effort to help me !
( I should have study the forums first, before posting in the ng)

heian

"metronid" schreef in bericht
This is from the compaq site
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00007689

"metronid" wrote in message
. ..
I have a presario that is in the same series
Mine came set from the factory to boot from the restore CD

If you are not able to boot from the CD
I can send you a floppy that will allow you to boot right to the CD

"heian" wrote in message
. ..

"heian" schreef in bericht
. ..

Old February 13th 06, 08:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

First off BIOS is not located on any hardrive
The true bios is only on the CMOS

Associated setup information for the bios may or may not be located on the
HD but the true bios (basic input output system ) is independent of the HD

The hanging problem of course is another concern altogether
I have been hung many times
Luckily never did it end in my death
Although some say that I am hung well

I need more info on the hanging
When windows Xp setup proceeds
It loads a bunch of drivers first

It may reboot at once
or ask you if you would like to format the allowed space

How far do you actually get
You do remove the floppy befor the reboot
It has loaded all the Windows files

What i like to do is
Format the HD with the a windows 98 disk that copies the
needed system files for proper booting
A HD can be fomatted that does not boot that is why I say the proper system
files
Copy the CD to the HD
In a folder called XP CD

And install from there
I have never met a system that would not take XP it if meets
XP's minimum requirements

And of course you are using a good XP CD

And install from the CD
"heian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"metronid" wrote in message
. ..
I have a presario that is in the same series
Mine came set from the factory to boot from the restore CD

If you are not able to boot from the CD
I can send you a floppy that will allow you to boot right to the CD

"heian" wrote in message
. ..

"heian" schreef in bericht
. ..

Old February 13th 06, 10:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Hi,

I have never heard before as well that a bios is located on a harddisk.
(exept IBM microchannel)

but this might be an interesting discussion:

http://sysopt.earthweb.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=118525

and

www.compaqsucks.com

has also someone telling that the idea of bios on the Hd is
really weird. (not that i have something against compaq!!!)
Love to see this system finally working ;-))

So it means i have no bios on it, and i booted with a win98 bootdisk, cd-rom
drivers loaded,
installed winXP, took out bootdiskette and windows cd rom, reboot........
then it stops, black screen
only. it boot only with a bootdisk, but not from harddisk or cd rom.

Tonight i will take out the systemboard, and try to get more information
about the board itselfs.
maybe it is just a jumper which disables the motherboards own bios.
I agree with you that there must be something on the motherboard like a
bios, but maybe it is a bit
different in this compaq line. (see the discussions)

[...]

"heian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"metronid" wrote in message
. ..
I have a presario that is in the same series
Mine came set from the factory to boot from the restore CD

If you are not able to boot from the CD
I can send you a floppy that will allow you to boot right to the CD

"heian" wrote in message
. ..

"heian" schreef in bericht
. ..

Old February 13th 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

I have worked on and repaired Compaq Presarios from 1999 or so. Maybe not the
exact 5240 model, but the Compaq motherboard DOES have a BIOS. The BIOS is NOT
on the hard drive. Ever since 286 computers, IBM-compatible computers have
ALWAYS had a BIOS on the motherboard.

So, power on the system, and hold down the F10 key until the system starts
beeping at you. Then go into the BIOS setup and navigate around. The BOOT
ORDER is in there somewhere.

Do not take the time to remove the motherboard from the case. I doubt if you'll
learn anything new from doing so... Ben Myers

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:03:36 +0100, "heian" wrote:

[...]

SNIP
Old February 14th 06, 04:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Hi,

When i enter the "bios" with F10, i got the following:

(first of all a lot of languages to choose out)

Computer Setup 686A1
01/21/99

System Communications Storage Input Devices Multimedia
Exit

System:
pci bus master enabled
system post fast
power on password
setup password
alternative memory reporting disabled
system inactivity timeout 30 minutes

communications:
parallel port mode: bidirectional

Storage:
diskette drive A : 1.44 Mb
diskette drive B : not installed
select operating sytem type
enhanced ide transfers enabled
primary ide controller enabled
secondary ide controller enabled

input devices:
usb legacy keybord support disabled

multimedia:
pci bga snoop disabled
compaq multimedia monitor auto-detection
onboard monochrome video mode support enabed

exit
save changes and reboot
ignore changes and exit
set defaults and reboot

I tried all of above menu options, but could not find anything of a
bootsequence
in it. Booting with other options like F1 till F12, esc, del, and so on
doesn't work.
Then appears a keybord error.
Hope anbody have an idea, how to go on........

heian

"Ben Myers" ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net schreef in bericht
news

Old February 14th 06, 05:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

From your description, it appears as though the motherboard's BIOS does not have
a selection to change the boot order. What can you do? If the system will boot
from a floppy diskette, begin any software install by booting from floppy. If
the system still boots from the hard drive, rather than floppy, remove the hard
drive, put it in another computer, and use the DOS FDISK to remove all
partitions from the hard drive. Then reinstall the drive in the Presario and
try again.

You can download boot disk images for all versions of Windows (except maybe XP)
from www.bootdisk.com . You use the boot disk images to prepare the actual
floppy diskettes used for booting. I recommend that you do not install XP on
such an old computer. It may run Windows 2000 just fine, though... Ben Myers