"Pentium 4" brandname ready to be dropped

Old November 4th 04, 03:46 PM
Bernd Paysan

RusH wrote:
http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/c...5/dfi855-1.htm

this one has AGP and P-M has huge potential, beating A64 4000 few
times.

Overclocked to 2.55GHz (with a 2.0GHz P-M). You can buy an Athon64, socket
939 with 2.6GHz nominal frequency, the FX-55, and that's still a .13µ
process.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/
Old November 4th 04, 03:52 PM
Grumble

RusH wrote:

Rob Stow wrote:

In the section you snipped you missed the part about wanting an ATX
motherboard.

The AOpen one is just another one of those less-than-full-featured
micros. Only 2 DIMM slots and only 3 PCI slots just doesn't cut it
- particularly when it costs twice as much as a full-featured ATX
board. A lot of people - but not me - would also be disappointed
by no AGP 3.0.

http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/c...5/dfi855-1.htm

RusH, you can read French too? :-)

this one has AGP

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7575

"Designed with versatility in mind, the 855GME-MGF is based on the
standard micro ATX form factor and features support for low latency
DDR333 memory and AGP 4X."

It seems Rob wants an ATX form factor ;-)

and P-M has huge potential, beating A64 4000 few times.

Dothan's FPUs are weak as far as SPECfp2000 is concerned.

Dothan 2.0 GHz 32+32 KB L1 2 MB L2
Opteron 2.4 GHz 64+64 KB L1 1 MB L2
Prescott 3.4 GHz ~16+16 KB L1 1 MB L2

SPECint2000
http://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/...614-03081.html
http://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/...503-03003.html
http://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/...406-02961.html

SPECfp2000
http://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/...614-03080.html
http://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/...503-02998.html
http://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/...406-02962.html

Execution time, in seconds:

Dothan Opteron Prescott
164.gzip 120 105 124
175.vpr 106 105 142
176.gcc 63.5 62.2 60.5
181.mcf 141 138 144
186.crafty 64.8 58.3 79.5
197.parser 133 120 137
252.eon 68.8 50.1 65.7
253.perlbmk 112 108 101
254.gap 74.6 64.9 61.0
255.vortex 80.9 80.4 74.4
256.bzip2 129 116 137
300.twolf 147 167 185
SPECint2000 1541 1655 1491
SPECfp2000 1088 1644 1485

--
Regards, Grumble
Old November 4th 04, 05:11 PM
Grumble

RusH wrote:

Rob Stow wrote:

In the section you snipped you missed the part about wanting an ATX
motherboard.

The AOpen one is just another one of those less-than-full-featured
micros. Only 2 DIMM slots and only 3 PCI slots just doesn't cut it
- particularly when it costs twice as much as a full-featured ATX
board. A lot of people - but not me - would also be disappointed
by no AGP 3.0.

http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/c...5/dfi855-1.htm

"[...] 2 slots DDR-SDRAM, 1 port AGP 4x, 1 port PCI-X et 2 ports PCI
standard. Les ports DDR peuvent supporter de la DDR333 au maximum
officiellement. Les ports PCI sont au standard habituel (32 bits, 33
MHz) et le port PCI-X peut fonctionner jusqu'à 66 MHz sur 64 bits."

--
Regards, Grumble
Old November 4th 04, 05:31 PM
Rob Stow

Grumble wrote:
RusH wrote:

Rob Stow wrote:

In the section you snipped you missed the part about wanting an ATX
motherboard.

The AOpen one is just another one of those less-than-full-featured
micros. Only 2 DIMM slots and only 3 PCI slots just doesn't cut it
- particularly when it costs twice as much as a full-featured ATX
board. A lot of people - but not me - would also be disappointed
by no AGP 3.0.

http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/c...5/dfi855-1.htm

RusH, you can read French too? :-)

this one has AGP

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7575

"Designed with versatility in mind, the 855GME-MGF is based on the
standard micro ATX form factor and features support for low latency
DDR333 memory and AGP 4X."

It seems Rob wants an ATX form factor ;-)

What "Rob wants" are more DIMM slots and at least
four PCI slots - preferably five so I have a spare
slot if I ever need it. If someone can squeeze what
I need onto a mATX board that is fine with me.

However, I could be very forgiving in the case of this
board. I *love* the PCI-X slot I saw in the photos.
Like most motherboards manufacturers, DFI still has
not begun to take SATA seriously and provides very
few SATA ports and essentially no SATA RAID capability.
That PCI-X slot would be perfect for a SATA RAID card.

The other two PCI slots would be for a sound card and a
video capture card - which means I'd have to switch to
one of those external modems that I hate so much. That
effectively drives up the price of the motherboard by
$60 (Canadian) because I wouldn't be able to reuse my
existing PCI modem.

--
BOYCOTT GOOGLE !
Partners in crime with the scum that rules China.

For more info search for "Google China Censor Searches".
http://search.yahoo.com/search?_adv_prop=web&x=op&ei=UTF-8&prev_vm=p&fr=fp-top&va=google+china+censor+searches&va_vt= any&vp=&vp_vt=any&vo=&vo_vt=any&am p;ve=&ve_vt=any&vd=m3&vst=0&vs=&am p;vf=html&vm=i&vc=&fl=1&vl=lang_en &n=10"

Google's side of the story:
http://www.google.com/googleblog/200...inclusion.html
Old November 4th 04, 05:58 PM
Grumble

Rob Stow wrote:

What "Rob wants" are more DIMM slots and at least
four PCI slots - preferably five so I have a spare
slot if I ever need it. If someone can squeeze what
I need onto a mATX board that is fine with me.

However, I could be very forgiving in the case of this
board. I *love* the PCI-X slot I saw in the photos.
Like most motherboards manufacturers, DFI still has
not begun to take SATA seriously and provides very
few SATA ports and essentially no SATA RAID capability.
That PCI-X slot would be perfect for a SATA RAID card.

I thought the Intel 6300ESB southbridge supported SATA?

The other two PCI slots would be for a sound card and a
video capture card - which means I'd have to switch to
one of those external modems that I hate so much. That
effectively drives up the price of the motherboard by
$60 (Canadian) because I wouldn't be able to reuse my
existing PCI modem.

You don't like the integrated Realtek ALC655?

--
Regards, Grumble
Old November 4th 04, 06:47 PM
Rob Stow

Grumble wrote:
Rob Stow wrote:

[...]

No. I want my Audigy 2. Most integrated sound
works adequately for playback, but poorly for
recording. And I have noticed in the past that
CPU usage is a *lot* higher when using integrated
sound for recording compared to using something
like an Audigy. In another year it won't matter -
by then I should be finally finished copying all
of my LPs and 45s into digital storage.

Old November 4th 04, 06:58 PM
Rob Stow

Grumble wrote:
Rob Stow wrote:

What "Rob wants" are more DIMM slots and at least
four PCI slots - preferably five so I have a spare
slot if I ever need it. If someone can squeeze what
I need onto a mATX board that is fine with me.

However, I could be very forgiving in the case of this
board. I *love* the PCI-X slot I saw in the photos.
Like most motherboards manufacturers, DFI still has
not begun to take SATA seriously and provides very
few SATA ports and essentially no SATA RAID capability.
That PCI-X slot would be perfect for a SATA RAID card.

I thought the Intel 6300ESB southbridge supported SATA?

It does, but
1.) Only two ports. I'd like 6 at a minimum just for
hard drives, and preferrably a few more so that I can
eventually upgrade my optical drives from IDE to SATA.
2.) The only RAID option with two ports is mirroring.
(By definition simple striping is *not* RAID since there
is no redundancy.)
3.) I couldn't see any SATA ports in the pictures at
the link provided. That might be only because the pictures
were low-res and quite dark.

Old November 4th 04, 10:15 PM
RusH

Rob Stow wrote :

The other two PCI slots would be for a sound card and a
video capture card - which means I'd have to switch to
one of those external modems that I hate so much. That
effectively drives up the price of the motherboard by
$60 (Canadian) because I wouldn't be able to reuse my
existing PCI modem.

modem ? are you even serious ? This board goes for ~$800.
As far as PCI slot are concerned you can always snap in PCI riser card
and have as many PCI slots as you like.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019
Old November 4th 04, 10:40 PM
Rob Stow

RusH wrote:
Rob Stow wrote :

The other two PCI slots would be for a sound card and a
video capture card - which means I'd have to switch to
one of those external modems that I hate so much. That
effectively drives up the price of the motherboard by
$60 (Canadian) because I wouldn't be able to reuse my
existing PCI modem.

modem ? are you even serious ?

You bet. Not for internet access, but for things like
phone dialing, message taking, caller-ID, logging,
etc. And I'm searching for an app I can afford that
will give features like auto-answer/reply based on
caller-ID. (Eg., automatically tell 1-800 numbers
to shove their telemarketing, surveys, etc where the
sun doesn't shine. With a white-list for exceptions,
of course.)

This board goes for ~$800.

A ridiculous price considering how cripped it is
compared to what you get on most motherboards.

For $800 people should be getting board+cpu+cooling,
with a more PCI slots, DIMM slots, and SATA ports.
I'm sure most people would also be expecting either
AGP 3.0 or PCI-E at that price.

When it costs six times as much as a full-featured
P4 or Athlon64 ATX board, you expect it to have more
features, not less.

As far as PCI slot are concerned you can always snap in PCI riser card
and have as many PCI slots as you like.

Yup. And now you have to hack away at the back of the
case because the cards are perpendicular to the slots
in the case instead of lining up nicely with them.
Still, its something I'll consider with the AOpen board
(priced at a more reasonable but still expensive $260).

Old November 5th 04, 01:51 AM
George Macdonald

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:58:38 GMT, Rob Stow wrote:

Grumble wrote:
Rob Stow wrote:

[...]

Yes there are two SATA ports -- black connectors -- right next to the IDE
connectors. You can see them on a photo on the 2nd page of the article.

Rgds, George Macdonald