ATI Radeon and Win XP Pro - computer keeps rebooting

Old August 23rd 03, 09:24 PM
Walleye

Default ATI Radeon and Win XP Pro - computer keeps rebooting

I had my OEM ATI Radeon 64mb DDR AGP working perfectly under Win Me. I
reformatted my hard drive and installed Win XP Pro on it and now the pc
never really comes up successfully.
It keeps shutting down and restarting with the usual XP pop-up of 'Windows
has recovered from a serious error ...blah..blah'. It mentions the video
driver as the possible culprit. I went to the MS KB article 318023 which is
specifically for this error but still nothing works.

I've tried SAFE mode and installing the latest drivers off of the ATI site
with no success, I went to DRIVERS.COM and saw some posts about the same
thing and people said to try various back-leveled versions of the ATI
drivers. Nothing works for me.

Win XP seems to call the driver the Radeon 7000/7200 series but I guess this
is ok.

I'm ready to trash the damn ATI card and buy a non-ATI card unless someone
has any suggestions for me on how to get it to work.

HELP!?

Thanks,
Walter

Old August 24th 03, 01:01 AM
Kent_Diego

Make sure to test RAM by running memtest86. WinXP is a lot more picky about
hardware problems. Try different BIOS settings and look for newer BIOS for
motherboard. Be sure to install motherboard chipset and AGP drivers.

Post back when problem is fixed. Kent

Old August 24th 03, 01:29 AM
Walleye

No virus but thanks for asking.

Walter

"JAD" wrote in message
nk.net...
Gotta ask cause lately this has been the case and most fail to say whether
or not they checked for virii. Virus?!

news

Old August 24th 03, 01:57 AM
Strontium

What order did you install your motherboard drivers, video drivers, and DX?
In fact, what motherboard are you running, what processor/chipset, and most
importantly which card?

I found, as well as another person I know, that this is the most
trouble-free order: Install winblows. Install motherboard drivers.
***Install DX9***. Install video card drivers. Install latest ATI control
panel. Do NOT let winblows install the drivers for the card, at all. Use
the setup utility that comes with the drivers. I've, also, found that once
you are at the point that you are at...you need to start over. From the
beginning of the sequence. No driver removal tool, is going to work, at
that point.

Try it, and get back to us.

-
Walleye stood up at show-n-tell, in

"JAD" wrote in message
nk.net...
Gotta ask cause lately this has been the case and most fail to say
whether or not they checked for virii. Virus?!

news

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old August 24th 03, 05:06 PM
Walleye

What order did you install your motherboard drivers, video drivers, and
DX?
In fact, what motherboard are you running, what processor/chipset, and

most
importantly which card?

What I did was take an exisiting pc setup that had Win ME on it and I
formatted the hard drive before loading Win XP Pro on it. So the XP Pro
setup installed whatever drivers it needed based on interrogating my
existing hw configuration. It wasn't until after the first reboot after
SETUP completed that it choked on the video card.

I installed DX 9B from MS based on trying to install the very latest ATI
Radeon driver set (when I first tried it the ATI setup choked on DX9 not
being there).

I have the Iwill KK266 mobo with VIA KT133A chipset, North Bridge VT8363A,
and South Bridge VT82C686B chipset. The cpu is an AMD Duron 700. The video
card is an OEM AGP Radeon LE (again which worked fine on Win Me). The card
gets identified by Windows as a Radeon 64MB DDE AGP.

Thanks,
Walter

"JAD" wrote in message
nk.net...
Gotta ask cause lately this has been the case and most fail to say
whether or not they checked for virii. Virus?!

news I had my OEM ATI Radeon 64mb DDR AGP working perfectly under Win

Old August 24th 03, 05:33 PM
Arthur Ricker

Did you ever install the VIA 4in1 chipset drivers?
I did that once and had similar issues.
The reason I ask is I didn't see you mention installing them.
Art.
.net...

Old August 24th 03, 05:40 PM
JAD

I installed DX 9B from MS based on trying to install the very latest ATI
Radeon driver set (when I first tried it the ATI setup choked on DX9 not
being there).

Isn't this also a symptom of the DX9b install

news

Old August 24th 03, 08:39 PM
Walleye

Yes, I did install them.
I grabbed the latest version of the 4 in 1 drivers off the Iwill site along
with the onbaord audio drivers.

Thanks,
Walter

"Arthur Ricker" wrote in message
Did you ever install the VIA 4in1 chipset drivers?
I did that once and had similar issues.
The reason I ask is I didn't see you mention installing them.
Art.
.net...

Old August 26th 03, 01:54 AM
Walleye

Go figure. I managed to get a relatively stable system. Here's what I have
now:

Build 2600 of XP Pro (didn't d/l SP1 yet).
ATI drivers:
atidvag.dll version 5.10.2280.105
atimtag.sys version 5.13.01.3120

I went into my Award Bios Advanced Chipset Features and changed the AGP
Aperture Setting from 64M (default) down to 16M. I also changed the AGP-4X
Mode to disabled. I was able to boot up the pc at this point without it
crashing or giving me the 'Windows would like to report an error to MS'
pop-up.

I then went back to the bios and enabled AGP-4X mode (still at 16M) and was
still ok.
I then went back and changed the AGP Aperture Setting to 32M and was still
ok.
I then went back and changed the AGP Aperture Setting to 64M and was still
ok.

Windows identifies my card as ATI Radeon DDR (AGP) and details of the card
say it has 32M memory.

I don't know what was going on before but it seems like the settings are
back to optimized defaults in the bios.

Weird....
I want to run the system through some tests so what is a good proggie to
exercise it...Sisoft Sandra, anything else?

Thanks,
Walter