Told You So II

Old July 22nd 20, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Told You So II

Yep - the failing 1.5T Samsung, I put in a Samsung 1T. The 1Tbyte
didn't last 48hours, before major latency issues.

Yanked in a blink and diagnosed.

Same deal as the 1.5T: Wouldn't run until I put it under a 115V 4"
fan, totally cooling it. Also kind of crunchy and grindy while hot in
the docking station (my ear on top and contacting it), so just may
have been worse than the 1.5T, although it did come up expectedly once
cooled down.

Also have another 1T, 3 Samsungs altogether: two 1T and a 1.5, the
1.5T is 7200 and the two 1T are greens. Screw that, no need for
head-banging to bother with the third. That they intermittently more
or less still work is an expensive backup proposition they were wholly
relegated to.

The way it ought to work, though, is different: They all should be
running for back-up and operational pairing of drives, instead of
stored and static backups shelved;- running, thus, a drive craps then
that's when it's replaced. That's how the Boys with Big Budgets do it
in IT, I think.

So what's to be done when the going gets tough? Simple: The
freaked-out go and buy another 1Terabyte Samsung SSD. Screw that
mechanical plattered ****. I'm not throwing $60 into a new and
warranted 2T mechanical drive, not where I can get see to get by with
a Samsung 860 QVO 1TB V-NAND, which will cover an application
specifity for powered storage.

Another larger SDD doesn't mean I'm out of the Big Duck Shooting Pond.
The QVO may be a start to something conceivably stabler than the HDD
industry, but I still have need of 2T mechanical drives, (I've also
large Seagate and Western Digitals, 2T drives in working order and
backed-up).

The QVO is more along an "expanding edge", past those 2T drives.

Another thing, I hadn't mentioned a fourth Samsung mechanical, 2T
5400, apparently that's been going steady, I don't know, maybe 6
months, 24/7 without issues. It's, again, "probably" twice as old as
the drive it replaced, a Western Digital 2T that bit it -- sunk its
teeth into a tree trunk for the sake mechanical legacy.

I've three mallets: a 3lb, 5lb, and full over-the-shoulder10lb.
They'll do just fine for crippled HDD units hanging around when time's
up;- one-armed with a 5lb. just takes getting a little used to.