Computer Rebooting

Old February 23rd 04, 05:31 AM
Etno

Default Computer Rebooting

Hey folks,

Got a strange problem here with my second pc.

A few months ago it all of the sudden started rebooting out of no where. It
rebooted while in Windows and also during bootup, so I thought it was a
windows problem, but it's not. It even reboots itself while I'm browsing
the BIOS or in Linux, or even 2 seconds after I turn it on (before any OS
starts loading).

So, I thought it was the power supply. I bought a brand new 450 watt one,
but it still rebooted. (I've since then moved that power supply to another
pc and the power supply works without a hiccup).

So, I disconnected all peripherals, removed every PCI card, and put in new
memory. But still it constantly reboots. I then even disconnected the
cdrom, every hard drive, and the floppy drive....but it still reboots.

I also tried plugging it direcly into the wall (bypassing the surge), and
tried different power outlets in the house, but it always rebooted.

So, I think the problem is either the motherboard or CPU. Do you folks
agree (well what else could it be)? And if so, which one do you think it
is? Is there a way for me test which one it is? I'm leaning towards the
motherboard, but I don't know how a CPU behaves when it fails.

Thanks for the help!

Old February 23rd 04, 06:11 AM
Joe

I had one do the same thing..reseated everything etc..etc..after a couple of
days finally just died..brand new board. Sent it back.

nk.net...

Old February 23rd 04, 05:07 PM
Hackworth

"Etno" wrote in message
Hey folks,

Got a strange problem here with my second pc.

A few months ago it all of the sudden started rebooting out of no where.

It
rebooted while in Windows and also during bootup, so I thought it was a
windows problem, but it's not. It even reboots itself while I'm browsing
the BIOS or in Linux, or even 2 seconds after I turn it on (before any OS
starts loading).

Try reseating the CPU. Clean it up and reapply new thermal paste or arctic
solver, then clean up and reinstall the heatsink/fan. Also, be sure that the
fan on the CPU heatsink is working properly. I'm leaning toward the CPU
because the system had been working fine but then started to exhibit this
symptom suddenly.

It could also be caused by residual effects from a past lightning strike
near your home... which could have even traveled in through your modem.
These are the worst things to diagnose because everything could seem fine
for six months after a major storm, but a component that was compromised and
is now marginal may suddenly decide to start crapping out on you. :-(

Old February 23rd 04, 09:15 PM
jeffc

"Etno" wrote in message

So, I think the problem is either the motherboard or CPU. Do you folks
agree (well what else could it be)? And if so, which one do you think it
is? Is there a way for me test which one it is? I'm leaning towards the
motherboard, but I don't know how a CPU behaves when it fails.

Look into the "bad capacitor problem" that many motherboards have.