Told you so [HDD failure]

Old July 20th 20, 01:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Told you so [HDD failure]

Samsung 1T Black, puked at 7200 for not long, but that makes it really
black and blue now, mostly all over.

Temperature issues, as I suspected. Been through this with a newer WD
2T, near in getting it to take after cleaning connections then
repeatedly powering up from a docking station. How that works: You're
a lucky SOB if it does. Anyway, the Samsung simply wasn't, so I knew
to put a 4" 115V fan on it and blast away some heat;- then it took,
glory be, from the docking station, only to error out quickly as heat
built up again -- or so might, albeit falsely, to seem.

Been through that with the WD, so wasn't into another trip to hell:
The WD was 2T as I recall, and this 1T was bad enough for moderately
better, at 4 or 5 hours of crap. How that works, Scenario Two
(without the heat): I unhooked a DVD and dangled SATA/PWR cables into
the Samsung, first cooling it down again, for getting it up off SATA
instead of the docking station USB2 speeds.

That would be 130Kbytes/sec tranx to a SSD, steadily for something
around 15 minutes over 200Gbyte, as drive heat didn't fault over the
entire time. I turned the computer off and the Samsung wouldn't pick
itself up off the floor again (goes through BIOS, causing the OS
"stresses and delay", even though the disk itself does always get that
far, identified, except for not being recognized from OS reports it's
unformatted. IOW - cooled down is apparently the only chance at
getting at saving the initial format and data.

Call me Mister Lucky. (Still have another 2Tbyte drive that decidedly
could use work on a restorative backup HDD set and ready to go, that I
haven't gotten around to yet.)

So much for grenades in exploding outhouses. I transferred that
200Gbyte off the SSD for writing it to a 1.5Tbyte NEC, in moving to
the same SATA cable at a little more than half the speed copied from
the Samsung. Iced it by putting the Samsung, along with it's 800G
free space, into a box with a special label that says -- BAAADDDDD ???

At some point the wish occurred to test a spare 500G SSD, which I
don't own. Or, I might as well kill off the rest of my HDDs, I
thought might "save me" more gloriously at the time of their purchase,
than how things are actually working out;- although I wouldn't mind
trying, at least, to become a Born-Again SSD proselyte. Maybe by when
my HDDs are dead, SSD prices will arise to a convenience of $50/US for
a 1Tbyte. Hells Bells, I'd drop $50 into a 500Gbyte Samsung EVO SSD,
even a Crucial, probably for half an excuse better to do: Barely
gasping out a very last recovery from mechanical HDDs gets old quick;-
Intriguing, decidedly, should a SSD proposition fly for a couple more
decades at least, as they're not written to hard but assumedly, I
should think, less than average.

Break's up.

Getting ready for a work-out when the Samsung puked on me. Hope that
cures all latencies, or more HDD replacements (about a 7 Tbyte storage
system). I've still the NEC to put back in, readjust for it, then do
a binary backup image of the OS. Finish it off for a T-Bar day,
regardless: one 45lb., 2 35lbs. and a 25lb. plate on the end of a
40lb. barbell;- 150lbs. discounting half the barbell anchored with a
40lb dumbell over the opposite end, stuck up against a 12" wood stab
of 2x4";- 3 more 25lb plates, 3 more sets, to it get up to 225lbs. at
5 reps on the last set. Not so bad considering deadlifts tomorrow,
initially the same thing, up to twice the weight, but with legs and
lower back focus instead of upper side lats pulling from a narrow
grip. Where a NEC HDD, of course, is always nice for background
ambience to an Audio/Visual system. Look at it this way: Driving them
until they just start to puke again is sort of the same thing for
considering how more or less HDDs get made.