Linksys Sololink service

Old June 4th 05, 04:37 PM
Graham Cluer

Default Linksys Sololink service

Am I just unlucky or is everyone having trouble with the Sololink
service that accompanies the Linksys Wireless G Intent camera?

I bought one of these cameras which has a free one-year subscription to
Sololink. To sign up for your one-year trial you get an access ID.

I couldn't get this ID to be accepted. Linksys said they couldn't give
me a new number and suggested I returned the camera. I did this.

A couple of weeks later they did send me a new ID but by then the camera
had gone back.

A few months later I decided to try again so I bought a new camera.
Again the Access ID for the one-year trial wasn't accepted (this was a
new number with the new camera). However, I used the one that had been
emailed to me and it worked.

Now, just 3 months later, I have been told my free trial is about to run
out. However, the email directs me to a button to click to upgrade my
account to a paying one but this button is greyed out.

So far no reply to my email to Linksys.
--

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- --
Graham Cluer | Email: news1 at cluer dot com

(If replying by e-mail please make the above into a legal email address)
Old June 5th 05, 05:12 AM
R. P.

"Graham Cluer" wrote:
Now, just 3 months later, I have been told my free trial is about to
run out. However, the email directs me to a button to click to upgrade
my account to a paying one but this button is greyed out.

So far no reply to my email to Linksys.

I don't see much use for that service as I noticed that Comcast
assigns me a pretty stable IP address, even across reboots of the cable
modem. What kind of ISP do you have?

Rudy

Old June 5th 05, 12:15 PM
Graham Cluer

In message , R. P.
writes
"Graham Cluer" wrote:
Now, just 3 months later, I have been told my free trial is about to
run out. However, the email directs me to a button to click to upgrade
account to a paying one but this button is greyed out.

So far no reply to my email to Linksys.

I don't see much use for that service as I noticed that Comcast
assigns me a pretty stable IP address, even across reboots of the cable
modem. What kind of ISP do you have?

Rudy

Good point. I also seem to have a virtually static IP address. What is
the syntax for looking at the camera via the Internet without using the
Sololink service? (My IP address seems to be 82.43.60.80 and the camera
is on port 1024)
--

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- --

Old June 5th 05, 03:18 PM
bumtracks

http://82.43.60.80:1024
works

"Graham Cluer" wrote in message ...
In message , R. P.
writes

Old June 6th 05, 12:48 AM
R. P.

"Graham Cluer" wrote:
Good point. I also seem to have a virtually static IP address. What
is the syntax for looking at the camera via the Internet without using
the Sololink service? (My IP address seems to be 82.43.60.80 and the
camera is on port 1024)

Well, you would just type in 82.43.60.80:1024 into the IE's address
line though mine worked with the standard port 80, in which case you
don't even need to enter the :80 suffix because that happens to be the
standard HTML port.
However for this to work, you also have to make sure that your
router "knows" where to direct the incoming port 1024 (or port 80)
traffic and you do this in the "Port Forwarding" section of the router's
setup. Assuming that you assigned the static default LAN IP address
192.168.1.115 to the camera, your port forwarding should link that port
1024 (or 80) to LAN address 192.168.1.115.
This can only work if your camera's LAN address is static and not left
to be assigned dynamically by your router's DHCP. Of course if your
router was set up to DHCP before, then any other device attached to you
router port, such as your PC's NIC has to be configured with a static IP
address. You do that in the Windows Control Panel. That's what I had to
do myself.

Rudy.

Old June 6th 05, 12:54 AM
R. P.

"bumtracks" wrote:
in message news:WQDoe.7100$yS2.2982@trnddc07...
http://82.43.60.80:1024
works

Yes, indeed, quite nicely though that 640x480 resolution provides pretty
grainy picture, aspecially at low light. I can even hear some of the
street noise. Where is it anyway?

Rudy

Old June 6th 05, 08:39 AM
Graham Cluer

In message , R. P.
writes
"bumtracks" wrote:
in message news:WQDoe.7100$yS2.2982@trnddc07...
http://82.43.60.80:1024
works

Yes, indeed, quite nicely though that 640x480 resolution provides
pretty grainy picture, aspecially at low light. I can even hear some of
the street noise. Where is it anyway?

Rudy

Thanks for that. The camera is very poor in low light. Better in
daylight. Audio is enabled as well.

I thought 82.43.60.80:1024 should work but it didn't until I fiddled.
Don't know what I did to get it working but it seems OK now.

The camera is in Croydon, UK (a suburb of London) where I live. In the
middle of the picture a tram line crosses the road and sometimes you can
see a tram pass. The camera is pointing west from
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...166209&A=Y&Z=1

Thanks for the help.

--

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- --

Old June 6th 05, 09:54 AM
R. P.

"Graham Cluer" wrote:
Thanks for that. The camera is very poor in low light. Better in
daylight. Audio is enabled as well.

I thought 82.43.60.80:1024 should work but it didn't until I fiddled.
Don't know what I did to get it working but it seems OK now.

The camera is in Croydon, UK (a suburb of London) where I live. In
the middle of the picture a tram line crosses the road and sometimes
you can see a tram pass. The camera is pointing west from
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...166209&A=Y&Z=1

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome. Due to the 8 hr time zone difference I only see the
daylight picture now and it is, indeed, much better. Actually a very
nice residential area you live in though I wish you Brits stopped
driving on the wrong side of the road. That pretty much makes car rental
over there out of reach on my visits. Is your cam just behind your
window? It's very well positioned.

Rudy

Old June 6th 05, 11:46 AM
Graham Cluer

In message , R. P.
writes
"Graham Cluer" wrote:
[...]

Yep. Cam just behind upstairs window. I get some reflection from
indoor lights in the evening.

I agree that it is a pain that the rest of the world don't drive on the
correct side of the world! I don't find driving in USA that much of a
problem but we Brits do have more practice at driving on the "wrong"
side as so many other countries do it.

Your biggest problem in hiring here is likely to be that automatic
gearboxes are quite rare although they seem to be standard over there.
You wouldn't like the crowded roads/narrow roads either.
--

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- --

Old June 6th 05, 12:59 PM
kim

Graham Cluer wrote:
In message , R. P.
writes

"Graham Cluer" wrote:

[...]

Great cam..well done. I had to find Internet Explorer as the cam
wouldn't operate in Firefox. But that is due to the camera, not anything
that you have or haven't done. Some Axis cameras are the same in that
their audio won't operate unless you use IE.
As for driving. We here in Australia also drive on the 'correct' side of
the road, so I had no problems when my wife and I visited the UK in 2003
and when we come back again in about October this year. The only problem
I had was that in the UK the indicator and wiper switches are reversed
in the UK, so that the first time I went to put on my indicator I turned
the wipers on! :-)