using Memtest86+

Old March 3rd 07, 07:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt
Synapse Syndrome

Default using Memtest86+

How do I use memtest86+ to check what the fastest clock speeds my memory can
reach? I thought there was some mode that checked different timings, but I
cannot find it.

Is there something else I should be using instead?

Cheers

ss.

Old March 3rd 07, 07:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jon Danniken

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote:

How do I use memtest86+ to check what the fastest clock speeds my memory
can reach? I thought there was some mode that checked different timings,
but I cannot find it.

Set the timings, then run memtest to test for stability.

Jon

Old March 3rd 07, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt
Synapse Syndrome

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"Synapse Syndrome" wrote:

How do I use memtest86+ to check what the fastest clock speeds my memory
can reach? I thought there was some mode that checked different timings,
but I cannot find it.

Set the timings, then run memtest to test for stability.

Ah, I see. Should I try the highest voltage that the memory is spacced to
handle and then test? ie. Does the voltage used make any difference to the
timings that have been found to be stable? As in that case I could find the
lowest voltage to use *after* I find the lowest timings.

Thanks

ss.

Old March 3rd 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt
Pen

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote:
How do I use memtest86+ to check what the fastest clock speeds my memory
can reach? I thought there was some mode that checked different timings,
but I cannot find it.

Set the timings, then run memtest to test for stability.

Ah, I see. Should I try the highest voltage that the memory is spacced to
handle and then test? ie. Does the voltage used make any difference to the
timings that have been found to be stable? As in that case I could find the
lowest voltage to use *after* I find the lowest timings.

Thanks

ss.

In general stability increases with increasing voltage. However, power
consumption also goes up so heat may become a problem.
Old March 3rd 07, 09:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt
Paul

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote:
How do I use memtest86+ to check what the fastest clock speeds my memory
can reach? I thought there was some mode that checked different timings,
but I cannot find it.

Set the timings, then run memtest to test for stability.

Ah, I see. Should I try the highest voltage that the memory is spacced to
handle and then test? ie. Does the voltage used make any difference to the
timings that have been found to be stable? As in that case I could find the
lowest voltage to use *after* I find the lowest timings.

Thanks

ss.

Only use as much voltage as it takes to be error free. And
stay within the limits provided by the memory maker. Excess
voltage means excess heat.

Paul

Old March 3rd 07, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt
Michael C

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message

How do I use memtest86+ to check what the fastest clock speeds my memory
can reach? I thought there was some mode that checked different timings,
but I cannot find it.

Is there something else I should be using instead?

Just run it at default and save yourself the trouble.

Cheers

ss.

Old March 4th 07, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt
johannes

Michael C wrote:

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message

How do I use memtest86+ to check what the fastest clock speeds my memory
can reach? I thought there was some mode that checked different timings,
but I cannot find it.

Is there something else I should be using instead?

Just run it at default and save yourself the trouble.

Seconded. Speeding up the memory will hardly be noticeable. Running it
at default eliminates potential headaches.
Old March 4th 07, 07:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt
kony

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 00:59:22 GMT, johannes
wrote:

Michael C wrote:

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message

How do I use memtest86+ to check what the fastest clock speeds my memory
can reach? I thought there was some mode that checked different timings,
but I cannot find it.

Is there something else I should be using instead?

Just run it at default and save yourself the trouble.

Seconded. Speeding up the memory will hardly be noticeable. Running it
at default eliminates potential headaches.

Ok, but on the other hand, knowing which timings are stable
or what voltage is required per, can help get a system
stable that wasn't, OR help determine how high a system can
o'c the memory bus speed which may be required to raise the
FSB speed on some boards, which can be quite a noticable
difference.
Old March 4th 07, 12:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt
7

Synapse Syndrome wrote:

How do I use memtest86+ to check what the fastest clock speeds my memory
can
reach? I thought there was some mode that checked different timings, but
I cannot find it.

Is there something else I should be using instead?

Lots of linux livecds have memtest and other testers.
They boot and run off the CD and don't need to be installed
on hard disk to get their functionality going.

http://www.livecdlist.com

e.g. System rescue cd, DSL, Knoppix, etc..

(Search for diagnostic CDs for a full list)

Old March 4th 07, 01:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,uk.comp.homebuilt
johannes

7 wrote:

Synapse Syndrome wrote:

How do I use memtest86+ to check what the fastest clock speeds my memory
can
reach? I thought there was some mode that checked different timings, but
I cannot find it.

Is there something else I should be using instead?

Lots of linux livecds have memtest and other testers.
They boot and run off the CD and don't need to be i

Memtest86+ boots up from floppy, it's totally independent on installed OS.