Why can’t i run my xp 2800 at the correct speed???? Help!!!!

Old June 14th 05, 08:35 PM
edrafp

Default Why can’t i run my xp 2800 at the correct speed???? Help!!!!

I have a non Barton Xp2800, running on a AsRock K7V88 MoBo, with 1024
MB Samsung Pc3200 ram, GeForce 4200ti 8x AGP graphics card.

My computer refuses to run at is correct speed of 2250 mhz (13.5 x
166) and crashes as soon as windows starts to boot up. The highest i
can run it at stabily at is (13.5 x 150). My first thoughts were that
heat was preventing it running but i have installed a Copper Lite
heatsink and fan from Arctic Cooling which supports up to Xp3200, so i
thought it would cope great with a Xp2800. I have 2 case fans, one
extracting and one circulating the air. The case temp is about 24-27
degrees. The CPU monitor in the Bios shows about 40 degrees idle.

Any suggestions??????

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/AMD-Th...pict57430.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=289247
Old June 14th 05, 11:05 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:35:45 -0400, edrafp wrote:

I have a non Barton Xp2800, running on a AsRock K7V88 MoBo, with 1024
MB Samsung Pc3200 ram, GeForce 4200ti 8x AGP graphics card.

My computer refuses to run at is correct speed of 2250 mhz (13.5 x
166) and crashes as soon as windows starts to boot up. The highest i
can run it at stabily at is (13.5 x 150). My first thoughts were that
heat was preventing it running but i have installed a Copper Lite
heatsink and fan from Arctic Cooling which supports up to Xp3200, so i
thought it would cope great with a Xp2800. I have 2 case fans, one
extracting and one circulating the air. The case temp is about 24-27
degrees. The CPU monitor in the Bios shows about 40 degrees idle.

Any suggestions??????

Did you increase vcore a little? Try 1.70v. Is this really a 2800+ XP
Tbred? Don't use Windows to test it. Get a memtest boot diskette or cd. Is
the ram running a default timings or did you change them? that new cooler
is only marginally better than the original, and it may not cool enough
under load with a raised vcore. If you can exchange it, go for a TR2-M1 or
-M3. I assume you have at least a 300W PSU.

Old June 15th 05, 01:10 AM
Lee

did you check to see you have the lastest bios revison? I think its 1013 for
your board. but you can double check... at http://support.asus.com

-Lee

newsan.2005.06.14.22.05.03.876516@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old June 15th 05, 06:36 PM
uddarts

"edrafp" wrote:
I have a non Barton Xp2800, running on a AsRock K7V88 MoBo,
with 1024 MB Samsung Pc3200 ram, GeForce 4200ti 8x AGP
graphics card.

My computer refuses to run at is correct speed of 2250 mhz
(13.5 x 166) and crashes as soon as windows starts to boot up.
The highest i can run it at stabily at is (13.5 x 150). My
first thoughts were that heat was preventing it running but i
have installed a Copper Lite heatsink and fan from Arctic
Cooling which supports up to Xp3200, so i thought it would
cope great with a Xp2800. I have 2 case fans, one extracting
and one circulating the air. The case temp is about 24-27
degrees. The CPU monitor in the Bios shows about 40 degrees
idle.

Any suggestions??????

is this a brand new build? what does the vcore, 3.3, 5 & 12v rails
read in the bios?

is your 2800 the 1.65 or the low voltage 1.5 version?

have you tried setting the memory to spd?

ud
Old June 15th 05, 06:36 PM
edrafp

"uddarts" wrote:
is this a brand new build? what does the vcore, 3.3, 5 & 12v
rails read in the bios?

is your 2800 the 1.65 or the low voltage 1.5 version?

have you tried setting the memory to spd?

ud

I have tried raising the Vcore 5% and my power supply is 500W, so
should be no problem at all. I have not tinkered with anything else
in the Bios as although i am capable of putting a system together, my
knowledge is not that great. I would flash the Bios and put the
latest version on, but chances are i’d screw that up and waste my
motherboard!