ANN: Tilt Pan Software for Logitech Sphere / Orbit

Old April 28th 05, 07:06 PM
Stefan Seiz

Si Ballenger wrote:

maybe you should give it another try.
Today I released version 0.6.1 with major improvements compared to the
version you have.

http://logisphere.seiz.ch/download/

I downloaded the new version

thank you for testing.

and I noticed two problems, one old
and one new. The old problem I've previously mentioned is that on
the options tab the "listed" box is checked by default. This
causes the webserver to fail to start when clicked on the server
tab page. With this box checked, the program tries to resolve any
url listed in the program using the dns server used by the
computers tcp/ip setup. This is causing the webserver startup to
fail, as the dns server cannot resolve the "localhost" default
urls you have loaded in the progaram.

Oh - there's a misunderstanding. When listed is checked, your camera
will be listed on
http://logisphere.seiz.ch/cameras/
To make sure the camera is working, the logisphere server connects
back to you. If that fails, your end stops so you have a chance
to fix your side (eighter the URLs, your router, firewall, port number
or whatever it takes for your computer to be reachable from the net)
It is not the LogiSphere server on your computer that fails, it's
that your address (localhost or whatever else) was not visible from
the internet.

I suggest you make the default for the "listed" be unchecked, as
this will probably cause the casual user much fustration.

OK, hope I'll change that on the next release.

The second problem is that when a video capture device is selected,
the source button on the server page does not work.

The source button on the server page is to change settings of
the camera device selected on the device page.
(for the logitech driver it's white balance, brightness and the like)
When you use other camera software, can you change those settings
within the software with the devices you are using?
I tested with varous Logitech cams, and a Cameo AV frame grabber.
It worked with these devices.

This may not
be a problem with a single logitech cam, but would be a problem
later if you want to expand your program beyond just the logitech
cam.

I see you anticipate my plans ;-)

The program recognizes my winnov capture card, my intel
webcam, and my brooktree based capture card. Using the source
button one should be able to select between the three video
inputs on the winnov card and the brooktree card.

Nice to hear the software works with all those video devices.

As mentioned above, the source button is to change settings of one
device, not to select the camera. Choose the camera on the devices page.
I will add tooltips to make this more clear (and probably write
documentation for it)

Thank you again for your testing and long reply

Stefan Seiz

Old April 28th 05, 09:09 PM
Si Ballenger

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:06:48 +0200, Stefan Seiz
wrote:

Si Ballenger wrote:

[...]

The unannounced attempt to connect to a server on the net when
your program is initally started will give many the impression
that it contains spyware that is trying to "call home" with out
prior approval.

I suggest you make the default for the "listed" be unchecked, as
this will probably cause the casual user much fustration.

OK, hope I'll change that on the next release.

That should allow the program to be successfully tested when it
is started up.

[...]

On capture cards/devices that have more than one video input on
the card (composite, S-video, tv tuner, etc.) the source function
also allows the selection of the input that is desired to be
used. This function will be needed if the program is to be used
with capture cards like the WinTV, generic brooktree chip based
cards, and others. The driver for the particular capture device
supplys the "source" interface for switching the inputs.
Old April 29th 05, 09:47 AM
Stefan Seiz

Si Ballenger wrote:

The unannounced attempt to connect to a server on the net when
your program is initally started will give many the impression
that it contains spyware that is trying to "call home" with out
prior approval.

I agree. This was on my ToDo list, but I had to figure out first
how to handle it.

Added a popup which informs the user what information is sent
where for what purpose. This will be visible on program start
as long as there is no config.txt (never saved options).

I suggest you make the default for the "listed" be unchecked, as
this will probably cause the casual user much fustration.

OK, I'll change that on the next release.

That should allow the program to be successfully tested when it
is started up.

Hope so ;-)

On capture cards/devices that have more than one video input on
the card (composite, S-video, tv tuner, etc.) the source function
also allows the selection of the input that is desired to be
used. This function will be needed if the program is to be used
with capture cards like the WinTV, generic brooktree chip based
cards, and others. The driver for the particular capture device
supplys the "source" interface for switching the inputs.

Whether there is any response on the 'Source' button or not is beyond
my control, as I use a commercial OCX

http://logisphere.seiz.ch
Old May 10th 05, 07:34 PM
PloneX

Hi

Just got this software today. Wanna test it and probubly to use it on
my website... Pan/Tilt seems working but camera not... what I'm doing
wrong? Or it's just because of licence which I don't have yet...?