New Socket 1155 motherboard for Intel 2500K

Old April 24th 12, 07:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Phat_Jethro[_2_]

Default New Socket 1155 motherboard for Intel 2500K

Looking for a motherboard to use in my latest upgrade to a new CPU
2500K, 16GB DDR3 RAM, OCZ Agility 3 but keep my solid HD5870.
Will be moving my 3 old SATA2 HDD's over and probably using the SSD as a
cached drive with the new Intel feature.
Looking for mid-range class with possible Crossfire support and
overclocking capabilities. Preferably Asus or Gigabyte boards as per
local shop stock.
Anyone want to way in?

Thanks,

Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Jethro
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old April 28th 12, 09:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
andy

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:27:46 -0400, Phat_Jethro wrote:

Looking for a motherboard to use in my latest upgrade to a new CPU
2500K, 16GB DDR3 RAM, OCZ Agility 3 but keep my solid HD5870.
Will be moving my 3 old SATA2 HDD's over and probably using the SSD as a
cached drive with the new Intel feature.
Looking for mid-range class with possible Crossfire support and
overclocking capabilities. Preferably Asus or Gigabyte boards as per
local shop stock.
Anyone want to way in?

Thanks,

Since the beginning of this year I've been running:
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Intel Core i5-2500K
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX
Patriot PP120GS25SSDR
Seagate ST1500DL003
Samsung HD103UI
Samsung HD154UI
FusionHDTV7 Dual Express
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250
Windows 7 x64 Professional
Antec EA-435
Using the i5-2500K HD3000 GPU, Dual Monitor
Typical power consumption: 110 watts, 45% CPU Usage
This system has been absolutely reliable.
Old April 30th 12, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Phat_Jethro[_2_]

On 4/28/2012 4:23 AM, andy wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:27:46 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the confidence as I ended up getting a GA-Z77-UD3H. Very
similar board I would assume with just a newer chipset.

Old April 30th 12, 07:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Phat_Jethro wrote:
On 4/28/2012 4:23 AM, andy wrote:
[...]

That's an Ivy Bridge chipset.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/t...3770k-review/5

What you get from it, compared to Z68 (last generation chipset), is USB3
is included in the Southbridge. This is the launch of native USB3 by
Intel, so you get to test a brand new feature :-)

Previous motherboards, had to use a separate chip from NEC, Asmedia, or Etron,
to have USB3 work on them. Finally, Intel put it on their chipset.

With any motherboard, you go to the motherboard manufacturer web page, and
get the "CPU Support" chart, and verify your processor is supported. I
expect it is, but you should still do a double check. If so, I expect
the very first BIOS release, would include support for 2500K, so that's
not likely to be a problem.

Paul
Old May 2nd 12, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Phat_Jethro[_2_]

On 4/30/2012 2:00 PM, Paul wrote:
Phat_Jethro wrote:
On 4/28/2012 4:23 AM, andy wrote:
[...]

Thx Paul. I did check before hand to make sure it runs in it. Since I'm
moving from a dual core I figured this jump until the can get a cheaper
Ivy Bridge for the next leap.