2D vs 3D

Old October 9th 03, 11:52 AM
HMSDOC

Default 2D vs 3D

I am looking for a video card mainly to work with large Photoshop files, though
I would like to have the opportunity to do some gaming as well, but the system
is geared primarily for 2D image editing. I want to use dual monitors. Is
there a real 'optimized for 2D' type of card...like Matrox sells itself as, or
would any modern 3D gaming card like the ATI Radion 9800 be just as good for 2D
image editing and still maintain the gaming option without giving anything up
in terms of Photoshop usage?

Howard
Old October 9th 03, 04:38 PM
Tod

I use to use a Matrox G400
then a Voodoo 5
tired a Nvidia 5200 (driver problems)
Now use a Sapphire ATI 9100 128MB (with 21" monitor)
I would say the 2D on the ATI is at least 90% as good as the Matrox.

Old October 9th 03, 06:40 PM
Rick

If you run at 1600x1200 or less you won't see much (or in most
cases, any) 2D quality differences between Matrox and the 9800.
And the 9800 will be orders of magnitude faster for 3D gaming.

Rick

Old October 9th 03, 11:55 PM
HMSDOC

How about the ability and functions of the ati for running dual monitors..is it
stable? easy to use?

Howard
Old October 10th 03, 03:09 AM
KJ

I've found the ATi software for dual monitors easy, but not nearly as stable
as the Matrox software. The ATi software would loop, pegging the CPU, then
requireing me to end the process. I've never experienced any such or
similar errors with the Matrox software.