"Major chip flaws affect billions of devices"

Old January 5th 18, 05:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default "Major chip flaws affect billions of devices"

"Major chip flaws affect billions of devices"

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/03/tech...ity/index.html

"Called Meltdown and Spectre, the flaws exist in processors, a building
block of computers that acts as the brain. Modern processors are
designed to perform something called "speculative execution." That means
they predict what tasks they will be asked to execute and rapidly access
multiple areas of memory at the same time.

"That data is supposed to be protected and isolated, but researchers
discovered that in some cases, the information can be exposed while the
processor queues it up."

"Researchers say almost every computing system -- desktops, laptops,
smartphones, and cloud servers -- is affected by the Spectre bug.
Meltdown appears to be specific to Intel (INTC) chips."

Two snooping modes. This is looking better by the day.

Lynn
Old January 5th 18, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 1/4/2018 10:03 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Major chip flaws affect billions of devices"

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/03/tech...ity/index.html

"Called Meltdown and Spectre, the flaws exist in processors, a building
block of computers that acts as the brain. Modern processors are
designed to perform something called "speculative execution." That means
they predict what tasks they will be asked to execute and rapidly access
multiple areas of memory at the same time.

"That data is supposed to be protected and isolated, but researchers
discovered that in some cases, the information can be exposed while the
processor queues it up."

"Researchers say almost every computing system -- desktops, laptops,
smartphones, and cloud servers -- is affected by the Spectre bug.
Meltdown appears to be specific to Intel (INTC) chips."

Two snooping modes.Â* This is looking better by the day.

Lynn

"How to Protect Your Devices Against Meltdown, Spectre Bugs"

https://www.pcmag.com/news/358286/ho...n-spectre-bugs

"It's not just Intel machines. Here's everything you need to know about
how to protect your PC, Mac, and mobile device against the chip-level
security flaws that were disclosed this week."

Seems like the only true fix is to air gap all devices.

Lynn

Old January 6th 18, 09:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 13:29:19 -0600, Lynn McGuire wrote:

| "It's not just Intel machines. Here's everything you need to know about
| how to protect your PC, Mac, and mobile device against the chip-level
| security flaws that were disclosed this week."

Funny how there's suddenly all the hand wringing about Meltdown and Spectre when
they've both existed for years without any known problems. Just think of all the
flaws we don't even know about yet, maybe far worse than either of these. How can we
sleep nights?

Larc
Old January 6th 18, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Larc wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 13:29:19 -0600, Lynn McGuire wrote:

| "It's not just Intel machines. Here's everything you need to know about
| how to protect your PC, Mac, and mobile device against the chip-level
| security flaws that were disclosed this week."

Funny how there's suddenly all the hand wringing about Meltdown and Spectre when
they've both existed for years without any known problems. Just think of all the
flaws we don't even know about yet, maybe far worse than either of these. How can we
sleep nights?

Larc

Exploits can run via browser javascript.

That should scare you enough to keep you awake.

Of course you don't have to run a web browser - am I right ? :-/

Firefox has a mitigation... there will be more of
these as time passes.

"Speculative execution side-channel attack ('Spectre')"

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/securi...s/mfsa2018-01/

Fixed in: Firefox 57.0.4

SharedArrayBuffer is already disabled in Firefox 52 ESR.

and Firefox 52 ESR is the only way for a WinXP user to get
support today, as somewhere around there is the last WinXP
browser edition.

So part of this play, is the usual "modernization pressure",
stuff going obsolete which isn't really obsolete and so on...

Paul