Lian-Li case vibrates making loud rattle noise. What can be done?

Old January 18th 04, 06:56 PM

Default Lian-Li case vibrates making loud rattle noise. What can be done?

I have a Lian-Li PC-52 mid tower atx case. I spent about 80 dollars USA on this thing because I wanted a nice case.
It looks nice and doesn't weigh a lot or take up to much vertical space. The only thing is that
it rattles like its "shaking itself apart" at random times. The source of the vibration is only from my
hard drive which I've tried monting in both the floor mounted rack and the front mounted rack.
I thought the floor mounted rack might be less stable so I took it out since it wasn't even screwed
down on all sides. I mounted the drive to the front racks and this didn't help at all. I notice that
my room mate has a dell computer that has a Dell Dimension 4100 computer. His case is ofcourse
not made of alluminum but steel and plastic. But not only will it not vibrate from the haard drive
vibrations you can barely hear the constant semi high pitch spinning sound of the hard drive. His
case cuts out much more of the noise and and also doesn't make "loud" shaking sounds that
drive me crazy like mine does. Is there anthing that can be done? Is my hard drive going bad and
thus making more vibrations than it should can anything be done around the mounting of the
drive to prevent this. The problem seems to be with the lian-li case which is so thin that it doesn't
cut out noise AND actually generates its own even louder sets of noise by amplifying all vibrations
(allmost all from hard drive) into loud rattling case noises. I have found the only way to disrupt the
rattle is to hit the case on the front top and it gose away for a while. I would kinda consider
another case but I just spent 80 dollars on this and its been too long to return it. Its been about
4 months. I didn't use the computer so much in the begining and it was in a louder room further
away so I never heard it at the right time. Any help?

Old January 19th 04, 03:39 AM
Don_B

I have a Lian-Li aluminum case and I consider it excellent. I haven't had a
problem with rattling. Something is loose in your case somewhere. Are you
sure it's the hard drive and not the CD ROM? The hard drive should be very
well balanced. Assuming that the disks are balanced, only the movement of
the drive arms would cause vibration. The disks in CD ROMs however, are not
balanced. The vibration at "random times" shouldn't be happening except with
a CD ROM.

m...