ILM products (Kazeon) and Windows Explorer

Old February 16th 07, 08:40 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

Default ILM products (Kazeon) and Windows Explorer

Hi,
How do ILM products like kazeon that migrate files to alternate
storage deal with Windows Explorer that do directory listings and try
to open each and every file to read the data (for thumbnails)?

Will this cause Kazeon to restore the files from alternate storage
back onto the primary disks?

Bargav

Old February 18th 07, 09:28 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

On Feb 17, 1:13 pm, Faeandar wrote:
On 16 Feb 2007 11:40:09 -0800, wrote:

Hi,
How do ILM products like kazeon that migrate files to alternate
storage deal with Windows Explorer that do directory listings and try
to open each and every file to read the data (for thumbnails)?

Will this cause Kazeon to restore the files from alternate storage
back onto the primary disks?

Bargav

Lookup operations are not the same as access operations. Only access
ops cause an un-migration.

Also, there are no ILM "products". ILM is a process, if you don't
have that then you don't have ILM. You just have HSM.

~F

I think the OP is worried about exactly that. As far as I understand,
when Windows Explorer looks into a directory, it will often open and
read (ie. access) the files within so as to create thumbnails,
previews and the like. The question is, in spirit, similar to one I
posed a few weeks ago regarding full-text searches. I think what we're
all wondering is, given these application behaviors, how can migration
products really be both "automatic" and still provide the intended
benefit.

Thanks,
Ron

Old February 19th 07, 01:28 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On 18 Feb 2007 12:28:09 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

Ouch. I can't speak to Windows behavior but that would be truly an
unhappy thing. I know these products have to take into account
possible scenarios like this so maybe it's only on write access or
open write access? I can't say.

I would be curious to know if someone finds out.

~F
Old February 20th 07, 07:25 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

On Feb 18, 4:28 pm, Faeandar wrote:
On 18 Feb 2007 12:28:09 -0800, "

wrote:
[...]

Just got a response back from a neopath sales guy. They say their
product is the only one that handles this and prevents files from
being moved back onto primary just due to windows explorer directory
listings, but he didnt know how.

Old February 23rd 07, 04:15 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Nik Simpson

wrote:

Just got a response back from a neopath sales guy. They say their
product is the only one that handles this and prevents files from
being moved back onto primary just due to windows explorer directory
listings, but he didnt know how.

Salesguy, not a rocket scientist, film at 11 :-) Neopath is an inband
solution that provides a global namespace that sits in front of your NAS
devices. So any access to the filesystem (i.e. open, close, stat etc) is
actually a request to the Neopath appliance so it knows when a file is
opened and can presumably tell whether it's real access or just Explorer
doing it's thing.

The downsides with such a solution include:

Neopath has to be functioning for any access to occur

Neopath may become a performance bottleneck

Neopath only works with shared filesystems, if the filesystem you want
to manage is local to an application server or desktop, then it has to
be shared and made part of the Neopath global namespace and *ONLY*
accessed via Neopath.

So, you pays your money & you takes your choice. Solutions like Kazeon,
Scentric etc. our out-of-band. But as I've indicated in previous posts,
they don't any automatic backward migration of files once they've been
moved. You have to manually create policies that move the files back
based on your own criteria, for example you might leave the file in
place unless it has actually been modified as opposed to just looked at.

--
Nik Simpson

OT-- Windows Explorer question MZB Dell Computers 4 November 25th 06 06:00 AM
Windows explorer Michael C General 11 September 18th 05 07:04 PM
Windows Explorer Scott Gateway Computers 0 May 9th 04 10:43 PM
nView desktops - getting closure of Explorer windows by Internet Explorer. Wobbler Nvidia Videocards 1 May 8th 04 09:53 PM
Replace Windows Explorer? Steve Dell Computers 6 October 19th 03 05:53 AM