Two Video Cards In One PC

Old January 24th 04, 04:48 AM
Afterburner

Default Two Video Cards In One PC

Hi,

I am trying to watch some of my favorite AVIs but
my computer is too slow (P200MMX) to render
the audio and video in sync correctly. It's fine at
the original video size, say, 320 x 240, but I'd like
to view them at full screen if possible.

My system has 64Mb of ram and a 2Gb hard drive,
running Win98SE.

I have one 4Mb ATI Rage 3D Pro PCI and one
Matrox Millennium 4Mb PCI video card, and I
was considering plugging them both in to the PC
to see if that would free up some video ram for
the Windows Media Player to play my AVIs
in full-screen mode properly.

I know Win98 supports more than one video card,
no problem. But will it make a difference overall
if I plug both video cards in if neither of them is an
accelerator card, and they would only be connected
via the PCI bus, not through the Interface Connector.

Any help, tips, appreciated.

Afterburner

Old January 24th 04, 04:33 PM
Eric Gisin

You only need one *decent* video card. Many 3D PCI cards could not do video
overlays and scaling. Try the Matrox first.

I recalling viewing full screen video on a 200MHz AMD with Trio 63V+.

Old January 25th 04, 12:20 AM
DaveW

You won't be able to get a quality image in full screen with that older
system's specs.

--
DaveW

Old January 25th 04, 04:44 AM

U comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video Afterburner prica:
I am trying to watch some of my favorite AVIs but
my computer is too slow (P200MMX) to render
the audio and video in sync correctly. It's fine at
the original video size, say, 320 x 240, but I'd like
to view them at full screen if possible.

There is one nice proggy for DOS, called Quickview Pro, here's the link...

http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/

I suggest you use some S3 crap, beacuse Quickview is ASM optimized for S3
cards only...

You can start it from DOS-prompt of Win98...

--
"Zuts li covjecja ribicao likuje ?" upita kokaa pozdravlja pterodaktilog
guzija. "Nisam ja nikog bombardiro !" rece Husoa lupa "Ja samo

Damir Lukic,
a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
Old January 26th 04, 12:24 PM
Io

Afterburner wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to watch some of my favorite AVIs but
my computer is too slow (P200MMX) to render
the audio and video in sync correctly. It's fine at
the original video size, say, 320 x 240, but I'd like
to view them at full screen if possible.

My system has 64Mb of ram and a 2Gb hard drive,
running Win98SE.

I have one 4Mb ATI Rage 3D Pro PCI and one
Matrox Millennium 4Mb PCI video card, and I
was considering plugging them both in to the PC
to see if that would free up some video ram for
the Windows Media Player to play my AVIs
in full-screen mode properly.

I know Win98 supports more than one video card,
no problem. But will it make a difference overall
if I plug both video cards in if neither of them is an
accelerator card, and they would only be connected
via the PCI bus, not through the Interface Connector.

Multiple video cards don't work like that. Having multiple video cards
in one computer is for using more than one monitor at once.

Things I would consider doing if it was my computer:

- buying a Radeon PCI video card. This is would be much faster.
- running the front side bus (memory speed) at 75MHz if the system
supports it (this would have your CPU overclocked to 225MHz).
- replacing the CPU with a better one. Your motherboard should be able
to support a second hand AMD K6 CPU at 400 to 500 MHz (depending on what
FSB speed your motherboard supports: the later K6s interpret a 2x
multipler as a 6x multipler). The motherboard would need a Bios update (
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm )
- installing more RAM
- getting a newer hard drive, as those old 2gb drives are very slow
(especially if you've got a Bigfoot one)

This is all kind of complicated to perform, but a techy type person
would be able to do it for you.

Any help, tips, appreciated.