G450 eTV 4gig Limit?

Old June 28th 03, 09:44 PM
Mike

Default G450 eTV 4gig Limit?

I have been experimenting with capture settings with my Matrox G450 eTV with
the purpose of writing to DVD. After much testing, I have discovered that
the best setting is uncompressed RGB. The only problem with this setting is
that the AVI files become huge in size. Next problem - I have now discovered
that the matrox software seems to split recording files once they reach 4
gig in size. Why is this? And is there a way around it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Old June 28th 03, 10:54 PM
J.Clarke

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:44:58 +0200
"Mike" wrote:

I have been experimenting with capture settings with my Matrox G450
eTV with the purpose of writing to DVD. After much testing, I have
discovered that the best setting is uncompressed RGB. The only problem
with this setting is that the AVI files become huge in size. Next
problem - I have now discovered that the matrox software seems to
split recording files once they reach 4 gig in size. Why is this? And
is there a way around it?

This is an inherent limit in the AVI 1.0 file format. To get around it
you'll need to run capture software that supports AVI 2.0. Not sure if
the latest Matrox downloads support it or not.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old June 29th 03, 05:45 PM
Bart Jansen

The 4GB file limit is caused by the FAT32 file system. NTFS has a much
larger limit (2^64 bytes) and will thus solve your problem.