No automatic fan spinups on my very old ATI Radeon 4870 video card inWindows XP Pro SP3?

Old September 20th 15, 10:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

Default No automatic fan spinups on my very old ATI Radeon 4870 video card in Windows XP Pro SP3?

OK, I reproduced the same issue with old Crysis 1 by idling during my
late lunch. It looks like I need to clear my out dusty computers too. :/

How hot does it get?

Earlier today, my video card got up to 90C/194F degrees earlier with its
fan to the max (5K) in my ~85F degrees room. I made RivTuner graph the
temperatures. Ouch, too hot. Amazingly, it didn't crash quickly like
yesterday. I was playing Steam's free weekend of Dead Island game before
it crashed. :P

Yes, if you haven't cleaned the dust out of the card in a long time,
that's not so good.

Also, you could verify speed changes while it's open.

It doesn't change automatically. I have to force it.

Maybe it has a fan and heatsink under a cover? You might have to take it
out and blow through there with compressed air, or better, take the
cover off and dig out all the junk.

I am still using the same fan and uhh plastic cover that came with this
MSI video card. I know the fan is loud and blow hard at 100% (5K RPMs)
for this fan when I force it through ATI's CCC software.

And maybe put a fan in front of it blowing into it. Or get a zalman
bracket. It looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000292DNG/...viewsofbo0a-20

Might be discontinued but they have one here, just the bracket, and you
use your own fan:

http://www.xoxide.com/zalfanbrac.html

Yeah, I need to clean this computer and fix the cooling.

If the card is still crashing. I think I will just get a new PCIe video
card since this is so old. It might have damages too like seen with
those stickers.
--
Quote of the Week: "When I am at my lowest, that is when I see things
the clearest. It's hard to care about ants when you're soaring with
Old September 21st 15, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ed Light

On 9/20/2015 2:57 PM, Ant wrote:

Also, you could verify speed changes while it's open.

It doesn't change automatically. I have to force it.

I mean, you can do that and see if it's really changing.

If the card is still crashing. I think I will just get a new PCIe video
card since this is so old. It might have damages too like seen with
those stickers.

That certainly solves it, if it's the card.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old September 21st 15, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant[_3_]

On 9/20/2015 6:49 PM, Ed Light wrote:
On 9/20/2015 2:57 PM, Ant wrote:

Also, you could verify speed changes while it's open.

It doesn't change automatically. I have to force it.

I mean, you can do that and see if it's really changing.

Oh, it is definitely changing since I can hear it loud when spinning at
higher speeds. At 5K, it is like an air blower in there. Hehe.

If the card is still crashing. I think I will just get a new PCIe video
card since this is so old. It might have damages too like seen with
those stickers.

That certainly solves it, if it's the card.

Yep. Maybe I'll go back to NVIDIA. :P
--
"It's like stepping on ants... I don't step on ants, Major." --Odo and
Kira from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Old September 22nd 15, 12:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ed Light

On 9/21/2015 12:35 PM, Ant wrote:

Yep. Maybe I'll go back to NVIDIA. :P

If so, be sure to uninstall the ATI drivers from the control panel
programs app.

Let us know if the problems clear up!

Old September 26th 15, 01:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant[_3_]

On 9/21/2015 4:17 PM, Ed Light wrote:
On 9/21/2015 12:35 PM, Ant wrote:

Yep. Maybe I'll go back to NVIDIA. :P

If so, be sure to uninstall the ATI drivers from the control panel
programs app.

Let us know if the problems clear up!

Yep. I still haven't touched the stuff since I am not gaming. I have
other issues to work like real life, work, MacBook Pro's HDD(?), etc.
Argh!
--
"I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find
tractors small enough to fit it." --Steven Wright